Random Posting

Eric

9 hours ago, Huaco Kid said:

Dad hated guns.  Period.  End of story.

Mom took me to the hardware store and bought me my first BB gun.  And to the furniture store and bought my first .22.

Dad still had a BB in his forehead, from when he was a kid.  Whenever we talked about guns, he'd make me feel it.

End of story.

My dad was a deputy Sheriff in Cook County, Chicago during Prohibition (his family lived just South of town).  He was obsessive that I know how to shoot, and be able to hit my target all the time.  He took me shooting every Saturday, all day long, for two Summers before he believed I was competent with a rifle.

The funny thing is that he hated handguns with a passion.  He used to tell me that if he found me with a handgun (in my younger years) he would "shove it up my ass".

I never heard any stories of his "exploits".  Only a couple of tales of some fellows he worked with.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, janice6 said:

My dad was a deputy Sheriff in Cook County, Chicago during Prohibition (his family lived just South of town).  He was obsessive that I know how to shoot, and be able to hit my target all the time.  He took me shooting every Saturday, all day long, for two Summers before he believed I was competent with a rifle.

The funny thing is that he hated handguns with a passion.  He used to tell me that if he found me with a handgun (in my younger years) he would "shove it up my ass".

I never heard any stories of his "exploits".  Only a couple of tales of some fellows he worked with.

My dad took us out to shoot at crap in an arroyo.  No real education.  I learned to properly shoot in '98 in the 389th Class of the USBP.  I have taken that knowledge and taught my wife and working on the kids to do the same.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Huaco Kid said:

They would cancel school because it was -10°.

And we'd run outside and play all day.

They did this for my children.  My school only cancelled the day it got to -30F.  Undoubtedly because no ones car would start and the teachers couldn't show up.

• Like 3

Just now, janice6 said:

They did this for my children.  My school only cancelled the day it got to -30F.  Undoubtedly because no ones car would start and the teachers couldn't show up.

Most of our school district is rural,  so the bus drivers run the show. If they say the can’t run, school it’s canceled

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Most of our school district is rural,  so the bus drivers run the show. If they say the can’t run, school it’s canceled

Davidson County Tennessee is metro Nashville. Mostly in a valley, but the northwest part of the county is mountainous and rural. After being closed for two weeks because of snow and ice on those northwest rural roads, they finally opened all the other schools and told those schools they would have to make up lost snow days on Saturdays in milder weather. Seems plows aren’t the only things which can clear rural mountainous roads of snow and ice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

19 hours ago, Eric said:

We used to shoot bottle rockets at each other, using pieces of scrap conduit as a launch tubes. I can’t believe we never hurt each other much. 

That is dangerous, you could get burned by the back blast. I learned to throw them. They didn't ignite until they were at least 5 feet from you. Way safer for the shooter.  If you were on the receiving end no real difference.

• Like 2

• Eric changed the title to BookFace
  • Eric locked this topic
  • Eric pinned this topic
  • Eric unpinned and unlocked this topic