Sweet acidophilus milk

NPTim

Anybody remember sweet acidophilus milk? My family drank it exclusively in the 70’s. Then we suddenly stopped for unknown reason. Anybody remember this stuff?

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

It seems like it's been a few years since I've seen it on the shelf anywhere.

It's supposedly high in calcium and protein, lower in fat, with added probiotics that make it easier to digest. it is technically a fermented milk just like some Yogurts are fermented to grow the probiotics. Possibly the fermentation process is not cost-effective in the Biden economy.

cartoonmilk1b.JPG

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, Borg warner said:

It seems like it's been a few years since I've seen it on the shelf anywhere.

It's supposedly high in calcium and protein, lower in fat, with added probiotics that make it easier to digest. it is technically a fermented milk just like some Yogurts are fermented to grow the probiotics. Possibly the fermentation process is not cost-effective in the Biden economy.

cartoonmilk1b.JPG

I’m more cynical. It’s supposed to cut cholesterol naturally. Then statins came on the scene and the milk disappeared.

• Like 5

• Administrators
1 hour ago, NPTim said:

I’m more cynical. It’s supposed to cut cholesterol naturally. Then statins came on the scene and the milk disappeared.

I was looking at the scrip instructions for the whateverstatin I take and noticed that it said I should avoid grapefruit while taking it. I find myself in complete agreement with a prescription medication. Grapefruit is evil.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Never heard of it but there’s A2 milk now that can be consumed by people who are lactose intolerant. I don’t fully understand the process of getting cows to produce A2 and won’t pretend I do. I do know the farms that do it go through the hoops to direct sell. Means on site pasteurization and bottling. 

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Eric said:

I was looking at the scrip instructions for the whateverstatin I take and noticed that it said I should avoid grapefruit while taking it. I find myself in complete agreement with a prescription medication. Grapefruit is evil.

Grapefruit can save you from the covids. Another study that has been swept under the rug.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• Administrators
7 minutes ago, Fog said:

Grapefruit can save you from the covids. Another study that has been swept under the rug.

I’ll take my chances with the bug. :greensupergrin:

Years ago, when my oldest brother quit smoking, he used a method recommended by his preacher. He bought some cinnamon toothpaste and grapefruit juice. Every time he had a strong craving, he brushed his teeth with that toothpaste and drank a glass of the juice. It worked. 

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, Eric said:

I’ll take my chances with the bug. :greensupergrin:

Years ago, when my oldest brother quit smoking, he used a method recommended by his preacher. He bought some cinnamon toothpaste and grapefruit juice. Every time he had a strong craving, he brushed his teeth with that toothpaste and drank a glass of the juice. It worked. 

Yeah, the chances of dying from wuflu were almost nil anyway.

• Like 3

• Administrators
26 minutes ago, tous said:

Greater than or less than the chances of dying from grapefruit?

:biggrin:

I can throw a grapefruit pretty hard, but I don’t know if I could kill somebody with it. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

52 minutes ago, jmohme said:

You have to freeze it first.

In an issue of Meat & Poultry magazine, editors quoted from "Feathers," the publication of the California Poultry Industry Federation, telling the following story:

The US Federal Aviation Administration has a unique device for testing the strength of windshields on airplanes. The device is a gun that launches a dead chicken at a plane's windshield at approximately the speed the plane flies.

The theory is that if the windshield doesn't crack from the carcass impact, it'll survive a real collision with a bird during flight.

It seems the British were very interested in this and wanted to test a windshield on a brand new, speedy locomotive they're developing.

They borrowed FAA's chicken launcher, loaded the chicken and fired.

The ballistic chicken shattered the windshield, broke the engineer's chair and embedded itself in the back wall of the engine's cab. The British were stunned and asked the FAA to recheck the test to see if everything was done correctly.

The FAA reviewed the test thoroughly and had one recommendation:

"Use a thawed chicken."

• Haha 5

13 hours ago, Batesmotel said:

It had to be better than what we drank. Some quack of a doctor convinced my mom this was better than fresh milk. 

IMG_5383.jpeg

OMG that stuff is (was) nasty!  We grew up poor, so naturally this was on the menu.  As kids my sister and I were forced to drink that crap, or add it to cereal.  Meanwhile my father had whole milk in the fridge and we were forbidden to even look at it, let alone touch it.  Dad's belt was a strong deterrent.

Edited by minderasr
spel czech
  • Like 6
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

17 minutes ago, minderasr said:

OMG that stuff is (was) nasty!  We grew up poor, so naturally this was on the menu.  As kids my sister and I were forced to drink that crap, or add it to cereal.  Meanwhile my father had whole milk in the fridge and we were forbidden to even look at it, let along touch it.  Dad's belt was a strong deterrent.

Same mess with us. Mom always had a little carton of whole milk or half and half for her coffee. 

• Like 2

We had reconstitued milk aboard ship when the fresh milk ran out which was just a few days.  Don't know what the milk really was, but I woulldn't drink it.

Had a milk cow when I was growing up also had powedered milk once in awhile too when old Betsy got into a wild onion patch.  Nasty doesn't even  give it justice.

First time a drank store bought homoginized milk was when I was a teen and loved the taste never to go back to straight cows milk again.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, minderasr said:

OMG that stuff is (was) nasty!  We grew up poor, so naturally this was on the menu.  As kids my sister and I were forced to drink that crap, or add it to cereal.  Meanwhile my father had whole milk in the fridge and we were forbidden to even look at it, let alone touch it.  Dad's belt was a strong deterrent.

Pretty much the same here, except dad had canned milk for his tea. A family friend with a cow found out and he started trading work with dad for fresh raw cows milk. I thought we had won the lottery, skimmed off the cream to have with canned peaches mom had made the summer before, heaven!

Later my mom worked out a deal with a lady who raised goats and we had all the fresh goats milk we could drink. To be honest it was good stuff, I've had it since and there is a lot of disgusting stuff out there pretending to be goats milk, what we got was good stuff, I think it helped us grow up healthy.

Now I prefer whole raw cows milk, I get it from a local farm a day or two old at the most. Some afternoons when I pick it up the milk is from the mornings milking. I'll skim the cream off sometimes and make butter.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, tous said:

Greater than or less than the chances of dying from grapefruit?

:biggrin:

Prolly about the same as eating the GF. Now freezing it and throwing it could prove bad for one's health, especially if the one throwing it has an arm.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

16 hours ago, Batesmotel said:

It had to be better than what we drank. Some quack of a doctor convinced my mom this was better than fresh milk. 

IMG_5383.jpeg

That is milk in the sense it is white. You are right, it gives bad a whole new meaning. 

This stuff is actually drinkable and enjoyable in the right times. It cooks well too. NIDO Fortificada Dry Whole Milk ,3.52 Pound (Pack of 1)

It isn't fresh but a much better substitute and the Carnation offering.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Ramjet38 said:

We had reconstitued milk aboard ship when the fresh milk ran out which was just a few days.  Don't know what the milk really was, but I woulldn't drink it.

Had a milk cow when I was growing up also had powedered milk once in awhile too when old Betsy got into a wild onion patch.  Nasty doesn't even  give it justice.

First time a drank store bought homoginized milk was when I was a teen and loved the taste never to go back to straight cows milk again.

In the Mediterranean in '59 My little Minesweeper ran out of Milk and we took on Goats Milk to replace it.  Disgusting.......

• Like 3

1 minute ago, janice6 said:

In the Mediterranean in '59 My little Minesweeper ran out of Milk and we took on Goats Milk to replace it.  Disgusting.......

It defiantly is dependent on the breed of goat. You got the lowest bidder. It was low for a reason.  :anim_lol:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1