First World Problems

minderasr

When I was a kid one of my jobs was rolling all the coins from our gas stations. I did this on my grandmother’s living room floor. This was when gas was a cash business. I got 10% of what I rolled. Pretty good gig for a little kid.

Then my baby sister got involved. My mom made me start with rolling the pennies. She got to start with the silver. So she would roll all the dollars, half dollars and quarters. Sometimes the dimes before I finished the pennies and nickels. We both got 10% of what we rolled.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

My bank won’t take change in rolls anymore.  I bring it all in a plastic gallon jug and dump it into the machine.  When the jug is full, it’s around $300.  It takes a year to fill the jug, and I try to empty it right before we take a vacation and that becomes vacation $$$.

• Like 6

I took a couple plastic jugs of change to the machine inside the bank once.  But they had rather narrow necks and I had to shake the crap out of them to get the change out.  It was comical to me, not so funny to some people that I had something like loud maracas in rhythm for 10 minutes.  Now I use coffee cans that just pour out into the machine.  Take the receipt from the machine and deposit it into my checking account.  

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Batesmotel said:

When I was a kid one of my jobs was rolling all the coins from our gas stations. I did this on my grandmother’s living room floor. This was when gas was a cash business. I got 10% of what I rolled. Pretty good gig for a little kid.

Then my baby sister got involved. My mom made me start with rolling the pennies. She got to start with the silver. So she would roll all the dollars, half dollars and quarters. Sometimes the dimes before I finished the pennies and nickels. We both got 10% of what we rolled.

These days I just use Coinstar. I hate rolling coins.

• Like 3

I have accounts at two banks. One requires that change be rolled, the other requires that change be loose.

I never can remembrer what bank takes loose so it is a 50/50 chance whenever I decide to cash in my change bucket.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Maser said:

My Great-Grandma had two 5 gallon glass water bottles filled with pennies.  I would have loved to take those things to the Coinstar after she died.

Pennies are alway a disappointment. Lots of bulk and weight, but relatively little ROI.

• Like 1

Just now, Maser said:

My Great-Grandma had two 5 gallon glass water bottles filled with pennies.  I would have loved to take those things to the Coinstar after she died.

My sister has large a suitcase she inherited. It is full of rolled wheat back pennies. It takes a hand truck to move it. I have no idea what it is worth. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, jmohme said:

Pennies are alway a disappointment. Lots of bulk and weight, but relatively little ROI.

I just wanted the spectacle of me bringing those things into the store.  😁

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Maser said:

I just wanted the spectacle of me bringing those things into the store.  😁

I can see the value in that!

Better yet, take them to the tax office to pay your property taxes.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Mrs.Cicero said:

My bank won’t take change in rolls anymore.  I bring it all in a plastic gallon jug and dump it into the machine.  When the jug is full, it’s around $300.  It takes a year to fill the jug, and I try to empty it right before we take a vacation and that becomes vacation $$$.

Yes I made the mistake of neatly rolling all the coins one year only to find out it was a waste of my time.

• Like 2

During the coof there was a change shortage. My favorite breakfast place needed coins for change so I told the owner I'd roll up my jug full of coins for her. She bought all of the coins I had. It was $80.00 worth. She was very happy to get them. tom. :cowboy2:

• Like 3

22 hours ago, Mrs.Cicero said:

A long time ago there was only one bank in my area with a change machine.  They retired the machine after years of it continually breaking down.  Plus you needed to have an account with them to use the machine (I did at the time).

My current bank has no such machine and I have no idea if any of the other banks do.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

21 hours ago, Maser said:

Odds are some of those coins would have commanded a premium on the collector market

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, railfancwb said:

Odds are some of those coins would have commanded a premium on the collector market

Or not.

My grandfather always kept any silver coins that he got as change and hid them. My dad was the only other person that knew where he stashed them and when grandpa died my dad took us down in the basement. He had a sledge hammer in his and. We all thought he was going to bust up some brick, but instead. he smacked a steel pipe that appeard to be a support for the floor above.  The pipe was about 3/4 full of silver coins and only a small hand full were worth more than the silver they were made of. And not enough so that it made reasearching all of them worth the time spent.

• Like 2
  • Sad 2