How I am celebrating black history month.

Silentpoet

On 2/11/2024 at 6:13 AM, gwalchmai said:

I freed all my slaves. 

Family never had any. But since I was 17, I paid their welfare,  food stamps, public housing, obama phone, Obama care, affirmative action,  hospital bills, and so on. THEY OWE ME MONEY! 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Rellik said:

Family never had any. But since I was 17, I paid their welfare,  food stamps, public housing, obama phone, Obama care, affirmative action,  hospital bills, and so on. THEY OWE ME MONEY! 

And...................................incarceration  :chatter:

• Like 2

We never owned slaves. Not one record of it in any branch of the family. However one branch was indentured to the crown of England. Basically farm slaves. They worked hard, bought their way out and became yeoman farmers. Pretty rare achievement. Then 1745 happened. We lost it all.

But black Americans want me to pay them reparations?

I say we go after the Royals in England. They started the damn mess. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Reparations should equal education, not cash:

In early 1888, Carver obtained a $300 (~$9,771 in 2022) loan at the Bank of Ness City for education. By June he left the area.[15] In 1890, Carver started studying art and piano at Simpson College in Indianola, Iowa.[17] His art teacher, Etta Budd, recognized Carver's talent for painting flowers and plants; she encouraged him to study botany at Iowa State Agricultural College (now Iowa State University) in Ames.[17]

When he began there in 1891, he was the first black student at Iowa State.[18] Carver's Bachelor's thesis for a degree in Agriculture was "Plants as Modified by Man", dated 1894.[19][20] Iowa State University professors Joseph Budd and Louis Pammel convinced Carver to continue there for his master's degree.[18] Carver did research at the Iowa Experiment Station under Pammel during the next two years. His work at the experiment station in plant pathology and mycology first gained him national recognition and respect as a botanist. Carver received his Master of Science degree in 1896.[20] Carver taught as the first black faculty member at Iowa State.

800px-GEORGE_WASHINGTON_CARVER_-_ONE_OF_

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Washington_Carver

• Like 5

Cornbread.

Tonight.

But mine has sausage and jalapeno and cheese and I leave the onion out and I leave all the chopping/cooking greases and juice in it.

I put sugar in/on regular cornbread.

But I don't think you could pull that little stunt off in a situation like this.
  • Like 1

OK, I'll play! As an Irish/British descendant, how do I celebrate Black History month? Santa gets a tree, Easter gets chocolate, Jul 4 gets fireworks, Thanksgiving gets turkey. Others get a day off, parades, or a few words on calendars. Since nobody living today was a slave it seems we do a disservice to blacks. By continuing to stress the history of victimization, we encourage attitudes similar to "The world owes me!"

Irish were the first slaves, enslaved Chinese built railroads, blacks were used in mostly farm or domestic settings I'm told. The Irish have St Patrick's day celebrated fervently in South Boston, the Chinese have their own new year celebration with amazing displays. The Italians of Bostons' North End get what, Prince Spaghetti day I guess. Blacks deserve better than a month with no substantive national recognition or America has erred.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

I am in a predominantly Black restaurant that sings R&B Karaoke singing rock and country music but we are regulars here.  

Our company just had some highlights for Black History Month and I wondered why we don't have White History Month or Meskin history month?  The squeaky wheel....

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, jmohme said:

In honor of Black History month, I made toast to have with dinner tonight.

Unknown-4.jpeg.68f5af0085d18256dd5227ac1c87982b.jpeg

Every time I order toast at Denny's the waitress comes out saying the kitchen is evacuating due to the smoke.  I like it black.

• Like 1