Wanna Hear Something Messed Up?

Eric

• Administrators

I did an auction pickup today at a heart clinic that closed its doors. It was a really upscale looking office suite, in a nice area of Dallas. I think the landlords were selling off the assets of the clinic. Apparently the doctor(s) who owned and ran the clinic just locked the doors and walked away from their practice.

The messed up part is that while I was loading up my purchases (I bought the contents of their server room and some medical equipment), patients kept showing up for their appointments. These guys had apparently not told any of their patients they were closing shop. When I was getting ready to leave, a very elderly man showed up for his pre-op appointment there. The poor guy was scheduled for heart surgery tomorrow by one of the absent doctors in that now-defunct clinic. How screwed up is that?

In addition to that, none of the servers I bought had their hard drives removed or sanitized. I usually expect to find the hard drives removed when I buy computers, especially from a place that stored sensitive data on the systems. It is good for me that they are still there, because having the drives will save me the cost of adding drives before prepping and selling the equipment. Also, when someone pulls the drives, they often damage something and/or throw out the hard drive tray or hot swap caddy with the drive. Anyway, I will of course sanitize the drives and reinstall a fresh copy of the operating system before selling. What kind of doctor would abandon all the patient medical/personal/financial information like that though? That is an enormous breach of trust.

• Like 2
  • Sad 8

I suggest that it is always best to be and remain unknown to authorities.

Just call Hillary.

She'll sanitize those drives in no time, bust up all of your cell phones with a hammer and if the authorities do visit you,  just tell them -- Hillary.

They'll run away like scalded cats.

No one wants to end up on the Vince Foster park bench.

:biggrin:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, DWARREN123 said:

Perhaps you should notify the authorities about the info still being on the drives. This violates state and federal regulations big time! 

Notifying the authorizes may protect you.

Be cautious there, authorities could walk in and seize everything as evidence and you would never see it again,  Best remain unknown to authorities like tous said.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, DWARREN123 said:

Perhaps you should notify the authorities about the info still being on the drives. This violates state and federal regulations big time! 

Notifying the authorizes may protect you.

Then they will confiscate what you bought.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

I think all you have to do with those drives is wipe them, like with a cloth or something.

This is going to get ever more common. Our "medical system" is crashing, they partly did it to themselves and it's partly being done to them. Obamacare was supposed to help finish them off, and like with so many things the R's made it a slow painful death.

• Like 3