Carbon Footprints

Eric

• Administrators

I have noticed for a while that my monitor was a little darker than I like, but I have been too lazy to adjust it. I finally did so just now and noticed that as I moved the 'Brightness' slider on the monitors settings area, a slider appeared below it called 'Carbon Footprint', which moved with it. I'll be damned if I am going to be ecoshamed by a monitor, so I slid the brightness to its highest setting. I have to wear sunglasses when I cruise the web now, but it is the principle of the thing. :greensupergrin:

• Like 5
  • Thanks 4
  • Haha 4

• Administrators

I just looked again and the monitor had a setting called Eco Mode as well, which was turned on by default. It turns out that my 100% brightness setting was only 69% brightness, with that setting activated. I deactivated it and cranked the brightness to 100%. After I looked away long enough for the white blobs in my vision to go away, I decided that 70% was bright enough for me to prove my point, whatever that was. Anyway, I can see again and I have regained control of my electronic environment.  Now I think I will go start my car and let the engine idle for the hell of it and maybe kick a squirrel.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

Consider a sixty watt lightbulb. There are incandescent ones which set the standard. There are twisty florescent ones which claim to put out light equivalent to the sixty watt incandescent. There are LED bulbs which claim sixty watt incandescent equivalence. Have tried off and on for several years trying to learn the raw material to land fill total carbon footprint for each of these three type of lightbulbs. So far no answers. I’m wondering if anyone knows the answer. 

• Like 4

• Administrators
1 minute ago, railfancwb said:

Consider a sixty watt lightbulb. There are incandescent ones which set the standard. There are twisty florescent ones which claim to put out light equivalent to the sixty watt incandescent. There are LED bulbs which claim sixty watt incandescent equivalence. Have tried off and on for several years trying to learn the raw material to land fill total carbon footprint for each of these three type of lightbulbs. So far no answers. I’m wondering if anyone knows the answer. 

It's that damned Big Lightbulb consortium. They are trying to control our visible spectrum.

• Like 3

58 minutes ago, Eric said:

I have noticed for a while that my monitor was a little darker than I like, but I have been too lazy to adjust it. I finally did so just now and noticed that as I moved the 'Brightness' slider on the monitors settings area, a slider appeared below it called 'Carbon Footprint', which moved with it. I'll be damned if I am going to be ecoshamed by a monitor, so I slid the brightness to its highest setting. I have to wear sunglasses when I cruise the web now, but it is the principle of the thing. :greensupergrin:

I don't like strangers or "things" telling me what to do or attempting to teach me someone else's morality.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• Administrators
44 minutes ago, railfancwb said:

Seriously though, it's funny how that sort of information never seems to be available.

• Like 4

47 minutes ago, railfancwb said:

Led's are a Semiconductor.  Only slightly different in design, but a Semiconductor, nevertheless.  Similar materials, similar construction.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/11/03/tsmc-samsung-and-intel-have-a-huge-carbon-footprint.html

The global chip industry has a colossal problem with carbon emissions

"...A team of researchers at Harvard University wrote in 2020 that chip manufacturing “accounts for most of the carbon output” from electronic devices...."

• Like 1

3 hours ago, janice6 said:

Led's are a Semiconductor.  Only slightly different in design, but a Semiconductor, nevertheless.  Similar materials, similar construction.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/11/03/tsmc-samsung-and-intel-have-a-huge-carbon-footprint.html

The global chip industry has a colossal problem with carbon emissions

"...A team of researchers at Harvard University wrote in 2020 that chip manufacturing “accounts for most of the carbon output” from electronic devices...."

And twisty fluorescents contain Mercury to the point it supposedly requires a hazmat team for cleanup when one is dropped and breaks. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Eco, schmeco. If it suits my needs and is worth the cost I do it. In most cases the eco-mode just uses less energy and thus appeals to my skinflintitude, so I don't mind. 

Landfills - if we took all the landfills in the world I bet we could fit 'em  into a surprisingly small space, like New Jersey or something. To my mind that would be an acceptable trade off. Of course, transport to NJ would be expensive, so maybe our current "dispersed Jersey landfill model (DJLM)" is not so bad. 

• Like 1

My sister in law wants me to sell my diesel truck and buy a hybrid or EV.

I tell her if I sell it then somebody else will still be driving it and I try to explain just how much energy it takes to manufacture a new vehicle.

From mining the materials to manufacturing everything to delivering it to me. Massive amount of energy. While my 18 year old truck has already been made. And the way I maintain it, it will be on the road for many more years. Possibly the rest of my life. Helping avoid the expenditure of all that energy just to make me another car.

She doesn’t get it. She thinks if you buy an EV you just magically erase all the bad in the world. And she can’t figure out that EVs actually run on electricity generated by fossil fuel or nuclear energy. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 3

7 minutes ago, Batesmotel said:

My sister in law wants me to sell my diesel truck and buy a hybrid or EV.

I tell her if I sell it then somebody else will still be driving it and I try to explain just how much energy it takes to manufacture a new vehicle.

From mining the materials to manufacturing everything to delivering it to me. Massive amount of energy. While my 18 year old truck has already been made. And the way I maintain it, it will be on the road for many more years. Possibly the rest of my life. Helping avoid the expenditure of all that energy just to make me another car.

She doesn’t get it. She thinks if you buy an EV you just magically erase all the bad in the world. And she can’t figure out that EVs actually run on electricity generated by fossil fuel or nuclear energy. 

Your s.i.l. appears to be one of the useful idiots the left loves so much.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Borg warner said:

I wonder what Al Gore and John Kerry's carbon footprints look like considering the different luxury homes that they own and and all the jet fuel that they burn traveling around the world trying to solve the Global Warming "Crisis"?

Fatso and Ketchup boy...both could disappear and who would care

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

• Administrators

Now when I wake up my computer to log in, there is a dialog box with a message scolding me for turning off the Eco setting. It appears right over the login form. So, I can wait for the freaking message to time out, or just type my password blind. The password only shows as asterisks anyway, but at least I know that the password field is highlighted and I am typing into it, when I can see the damned thing. This monitor is going to get voted off the island, I think. Maybe I'll take it out and shoot it and then burn it. That ought to increase its carbon footprint a bit. I am getting sick of this ****.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Why do they even bother to give you the option if they're going to nag you like Greta Thunberg or AlGore?

NB  I have a DELL monitor that I bought in 2008.

Getting a little less bright, but still works

• Like 4

• Administrators
11 minutes ago, tous said:

Why do they even bother to give you the option if they're going to nag you like Greta Thunberg or AlGore?

NB  I have a DELL monitor that I bought in 2008.

Getting a little less bright, but still works

I know how that monitor feels.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4