Suella Braverman pledges to get machetes off Britain's streets

gwalchmai

Who in the heck could have seen this coming?

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11983275/Suella-Braverman-pledges-machetes-Britains-streets.html

Machetes will be outlawed under plans to be announced by ministers today.

Sales of the long bladed weapons will be banned except for legitimate use, such as gardening and outdoor pursuits.

A consultation paper, published by Home Secretary Suella Braverman, suggests the maximum punishment for selling, importing or manufacturing prohibited blades should be increased from six months' imprisonment to two years. 

It also sets out proposals to increase the penalties for possessing the weapons.

Changes will ban a wider range of 'zombie' knives which were made illegal in 2016. 

The weapons – usually with a double, serrated edge – are currently banned only if they carry 'images or words that suggest that it is to be used for the purpose of violence. Legislation would be updated to cover all zombie-style weapons regardless of whether they feature words or images. 

Mo at da linc... 

• Sad 1

This is a step in the wrong direction.  Instead, the punishment for attacking somebody with a machete should be that the intended victim produces a legally acquired concealed carry pistol and shoots them.

The fact that crime goes down when the population is allowed to carry firearms is a documented fact.

https://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/more-guns-less-crime-john-r-lott-jr/1131900544?ean=2940171127138

2940171127138_p0_v2_s600x595.jpg%5D&scal

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Insert euphemism for baby kittens here.  

I am done with this.  There are 4 or 5 machetes wandering around my house right now and they've never hurt anyone.  My KIDS have machetes and they use them to whack the nasty nettles down past the garden.  Somewhere in the barn there is a kukri.  The kids have had swords for forever (the oldest is a fencer off at school now).  There's a freaking bayonet in the back seat of my truck (I need it for a history talk I'm doing on Sunday).  And I lost count of the firearms a long time ago... and none of these tools have ever hurt or killed anyone, with the one exception being somebody getting bitten by a scope (dude, you really have to hold that the way I told you to so that doesn't happen - I don't give directions because I like to hear myself talk.  Duh.).  

• Like 4

3 hours ago, minervadoe said:

This is a step in the wrong direction.  Instead, the punishment for attacking somebody with a machete should be that the intended victim produces a legally acquired concealed carry pistol and shoots them.

The fact that crime goes down when the population is allowed to carry firearms is a documented fact.

https://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/more-guns-less-crime-john-r-lott-jr/1131900544?ean=2940171127138

2940171127138_p0_v2_s600x595.jpg%5D&scal

Problem is that legally acquired firearms could be put to use resisting an increasingly irrational and tyrannical government and we can’t have that, now can we. 

• Thanks 3

4 hours ago, tous said:

Wouldn't a goblin, bent on mayhem with a machete, acquire one legally by simply declaring that he needed it for gardening and outdoor pursuits?

:headscratch:

Serialized, registered, kept separate from sharpening stones, maybe stored at the local constabulary. Only available on weekends for check out.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

From what I read, it appears that Hungary is the country to live in if you want to be free.

They actually guard their border and toss invaders back over it.

However, I'm sure that the EU is hard at work turning Hungary into yet another People's Republic, obedient to Brussels and China.

:sigh:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

20 hours ago, gwalchmai said:

Who in the heck could have seen this coming?

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11983275/Suella-Braverman-pledges-machetes-Britains-streets.html

Machetes will be outlawed under plans to be announced by ministers today.

Sales of the long bladed weapons will be banned except for legitimate use, such as gardening and outdoor pursuits.

A consultation paper, published by Home Secretary Suella Braverman, suggests the maximum punishment for selling, importing or manufacturing prohibited blades should be increased from six months' imprisonment to two years. 

It also sets out proposals to increase the penalties for possessing the weapons.

Changes will ban a wider range of 'zombie' knives which were made illegal in 2016. 

The weapons – usually with a double, serrated edge – are currently banned only if they carry 'images or words that suggest that it is to be used for the purpose of violence. Legislation would be updated to cover all zombie-style weapons regardless of whether they feature words or images. 

Mo at da linc... 

I remember when England talked of making pointed knives illegal but didn't say anything about desk grinders...  The insanity continues.  Declare an object illegal instead of real punishment for illegal use.

Then the government found that they were attacking religions when the Sikhs were told they couldn't carry their ceremonial knives so the made them an exception.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, railfancwb said:

Problem is that legally acquired firearms could be put to use resisting an increasingly irrational and tyrannical government and we can’t have that, now can we. 

Not when you are "subjects" of the crown.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1