The NRA?

gwalchmai

I got a call tonight from "Bob" who told me that 2A is in jeopardy and the Dims will win if I don't extend my membership, tonight. So sorry, guys, your gun rights are doomed. But you know, it's been that way (state of panic) for my entire life. As long as I remember, anyway. As I explained to Bob, the NRA lost my support during the Wayne scandal, and I just don't feel comfortable giving them any more money. I still contribute to GOA and some state and local 2A organizations, but I think the NRA spends too much on overhead. And suits. :( 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Not just no, but hell no!  Why?  Because I don't just hand over money to crooks.  Especially crooks who have been selling the lie for decades that they're the only reason why the Second Amendment still exists.  What kind of narcissistic cuntery is that?!  

Want to be a true 2A supporter?  Stop donating money to the NRA and instead use that money to start up or help fund local youth shooting clubs.  As much fun as it is to poke fun at the younger generation, we millennials, genXers, and boomers can collectively agree that the younger generation is the future not only for our shooting sports, but also the Second Amendment as a whole.    

• Like 2

I’ve been a life member for decades. Years ago we had the opportunity to court favor and friendship with political figures and policy makers. To positively change the view of guns and gun owners by people in the political middle. Instead the NRA went headlong into unnecessary fights and attacks on anyone who was not on the rabid right. It was a bad plan. We are paying for it now. 

I give them nothing anymore. I pointed this out to one of their marketers a few years ago when they wanted me to put the NRA in my will instead of my kids. He disagreed with me. I pointed out names and specific cases. He had no rebuttal.

They have never contacted me again. 

• Like 2

No. Sent back my Life membership in 95 when La Pierre ran his pie hole. Heston became the voice of the NRA as a result of that, and it was the best move they could have made. It made no difference, but it was a great move.

Watched them pack their toys and run from an all but won battle in the first Texas Constitutional Battle. They didn't seem to have much to say in the last edition on the matter, but they burned bridges and had other pressing matters.

There are other grass roots type organizations. One in particular claims near the same membership numbers as the NRA. I don't know if that is true, or how many are members of both, but they are out there and working their butts off every step of the way.

I don't see that from the NRA, and never have second guessed the membership. They started out great, but lost their way.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, Batesmotel said:

I’ve been a life member for decades. Years ago we had the opportunity to court favor and friendship with political figures and policy makers. To positively change the view of guns and gun owners by people in the political middle. Instead the NRA went headlong into unnecessary fights and attacks on anyone who was not on the rabid right. It was a bad plan. We are paying for it now. 

I give them nothing anymore. I pointed this out to one of their marketers a few years ago when they wanted me to put the NRA in my will instead of my kids. He disagreed with me. I pointed out names and specific cases. He had no rebuttal.

They have never contacted me again. 

There is a word for that. I can't recall it since I lost a large part of my vocabulary in the wreck, but that is really arrogant. Maybe that is the word, but for some reason I thought there was a much stronger one.

I haven't in a long time.  I don't care for lobbying organizations and think they should all be illegal, but since that is the essence of politics it would just go on in the dark and probably be worse.

I have this nagging idea that the NRA is not needed.  Just because they send out scary emails and claim they are doing something does not make it so.

We are unique from other countries in that we have a Bill of Rights, and in that Bill of Rights is the 2nd amendment.  

Seems to me that is a lot of legal protection, much more so than most things.

What is the NRA doing that would not be done by any number of other people regarding challenges to the 2A?

It's possible the NRA is more useful on the state and local level than the Federal.      

Same sob story, just replace "NRA" with (Pick one) Emergency Nurses Association "ENA", Aircraft Owners and Pilots Association "AOPA", Wounded Warriors Association, American Auto Association (AAA). You get the idea and I haven't even started on the politicians or Pets yet!

I suggest you send $19/month to the "Paul53 association" and I'll care for the rest.

I've been a member my entire adult life (I recently turned 61), and a Life Endowment member since 2013.  Need the card for membership at my (or any) gun club.  But I refuse the donate a single penny more until they dump Wayne LaPierre.  The NRA abandoned us New Yorkers when that crook Cuomo enacted the so called SAFE Act.

I am also a life member of the Second Amendment Foundation, who I also support via the Amazon Smile program.  I donate to Gun Owners of America as well.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, railfancwb said:

Ok…

What organizations claiming to support gun ownership and the Second Amendment should I consider joining or donating to?

Not a smart ass question as I plan to send a few dollars out. 

Jews for the preservation of firearm ownership, Gun Owners of America, the second amendment foundation, just off the top of my head.

• Like 1

GOA gets my Donations, because they actually use them for 2A fights.

i am still a Life Member of The NRA but got in during the 90s when they were fighting the Ban (and Failed)

now all they do is Donation Drives then not use the Money in any Useful Way Col. North was right they need to put the Money and the Means in the Fight and not the Boardroom.

CCRKBA also gets a nod from me,

The funny thing is, the NRA is the strawman used by the left whenever they need a punching bag.

I guess the mainstream media has not caught on to the fact that most lawsuits are being fought by other groups like the National Association for Gun Rights and the Gun Owners of America, etc. 

Who else fights for gun owners rights?

• Like 1