Schmidt Meister's Grab Bag

Schmidt Meister

2 minutes ago, Schmidt Meister said:

This picture was taken In my home town in 1964 during Hurricane Dora. This is the main drag through town, Hwy 90, looking west from the center of town. Live Oak, FL always floods during heavy storms, to this day. I was 4 years old when this picture was taken.

Live Oak, FL - Hurrican Dora - 1964.jpg

YOU live in  real FLORIDA.... I live in FL....NY.. NJ  SOUTH...:anim_rofl2:

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Schmidt Meister said:

The top picture is from a part of Florida I stay as far from as I can. The second picture is the part we love. About 30 minutes from my home. Ichetucknee Springs State Park.

Florida - What People Think Vs What I Mean.jpg

In my defense....I was a boater at the time and had boating friends who lived in NY south....... never mind

• Like 1

12 hours ago, 21 shooter said:

Most of them get a pass unless they get to close to the house.  Black snakes are great for eliminating a rat problem.  One family I knew had a big but old 2-story house that had a black snake as a resident when they bought it and to date nary a rat has been seen.  And he had a name!  Some folks though had quite the reaction when they realized the decoration on the mantle was alive.  

Putting your hand on a tier pole in a tobacco barn and feeling something slithering under it greatly increases one’s acrobatic abilities.  This was usually the first barn of the year.  First primings can be interesting when you swat an unseen snake with a leaf of tobacco, usually resulting in both parties vacating the immediate area.  Water moccasins aka cotton mouth, do not get a pass.  They have a nasty disposition.  Until now I had forgotten about those fun days.  

After we had this conversation, I just happened across this on one of the blogs I read. I thought you might appreciate in, as it has some valuable info in it. I'm gonna save the name of the Facebook group, just in case.

There’s a FB group, National Snakebite Support, that is run by doctors. You might think this is odd, but many people who get bitten by snakes will first post a photo on social media, and then go looking for professional medical advice and treatment.
No, really, it’s a thing.
There are two forces driving this. The first is outright stupidity. Somehow, there are people who seem to think getting bitten by a venomous snake is right up there with a bee sting or getting a splinter in your finger. While it is highly unlikely you are going to die from snake bite, you might. Then there’s amputation of the body part, usually a hand or foot, necrosis, and a hell of a lot of pain that goes along with snake bite. You might not die, but you’re going to wish you did, if you get enough venom in you. It’s going to hurt.
The next force that pushes people to seek help from strangers on the internet for snake bite is money. Going to the Emergency Room is expensive, and Cro-Fab, the antivenin used to treat snake bites from Copperheads, Rattlesnakes, and Cottonmouths, is incredibly pricey.
Listen to this piece of advice from a random stranger from the internet: Go to the ER. Go see a doctor but do it quickly. Do not wait to update your status or try to save money. Go. To. A. Doctor.
And here’s where even that breaks down.
One of the doctors that started National Snakebite Support has treated over six hundred cases of snake bite in the United States. One thing he realized is the number of medical professionals who have treated even one case is pretty small. And just because the patient didn’t die, that doesn’t mean the doctor did everything right. So, he decided to get people to contact NSS, find out what hospital the victim is heading to, and make sure the doctor knows how to treat the bite.
And yes, indeed, there is an App for that, “Snakebite 911” will put you in contact with medical personnel who can guide you towards the right place for the right sort of treatment.
One of the guys who is in the group did a study on why and how people get bit. Seems like most bites are from accidental contact with snakes, like stepping on one, or putting your hand somewhere the snake is hiding. In second place are those people who get bit while trying to catch a snake, kill it, or playing with it.
Most snake bite kits are useless, and they are dangerous. Toss them. Home remedies do not work. Benadryl does not work. As in most cases for nearly everything, alcohol makes it worse. Do not apply cow manure, electrical shock, burning gunpowder, religious amulets, talismans, the blood of a virgin, horsehair, breakfast cereal, dog saliva, ice, heat, old newspapers soaked in vinegar, or chocolate to a snake bite.
Watch where you walk and leave snakes alone. You’ll be fine.
Take care,
Mike

And I will leave you with this. It’s the best way to get tagged by a snake who is packing.

• Like 2

On 2/26/2022 at 8:17 AM, Schmidt Meister said:

The 70's, Kids And Guns.jpg

When I was in high school one of the students had just got a new shotgun for deer season, and at first break him and the teacher went out to the parking lot to look at it.   That was more than a couple of years ago.   Nowadays they would call out a swat team.   Also during deer season there were quite a few that were late to class or had to leave early in the evening, including more than one teacher.   At that time of the year even the flimsiest of excuses were, well, excused.  Life, people, and the world were a lot better then.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, 21 shooter said:

When I was in high school one of the students had just got a new shotgun for deer season, and at first break him and the teacher went out to the parking lot to look at it.   That was more than a couple of years ago.   Nowadays they would call out a swat team.   Also during deer season there were quite a few that were late to class or had to leave early in the evening, including more than one teacher.   At that time of the year even the flimsiest of excuses were, well, excused.  Life, people, and the world were a lot better then.

Here's the current response....

https://abcnews4.com/newsletter-daily/gun-marijuana-seized-from-horry-county-south-carolina-student-vehicle-18-year-old-charged

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, GT4494 said:

I hate to appear liberal, cause I'm not, but after reading the article, assessing the few known facts and making some realistic assumptions, I probably agree with the decision to arrest this man. When we were in school, back in the day, there were NO laws about carrying a firearm in your vehicle. In the sticks/hunting woods where I live, it's just assumed you had a loaded firearm in your truck.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, 21 shooter said:

Similar incidents happened at our school and nothing was ever said. You are absolutely right about life, people, and the world being better off then.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Schmidt Meister said:

I did a search to see where this place was and this one I think is in Columbus GA. BUT there must be a need for them because almost every large city has one, lol. "Hey honey, I'm stuck at 'The Office' again. Don't wait up, I'll probably be late."

The Office - Sports Bar And Grill.jpg

Sometimes it’s “I’ve got to go by the library and do some research. Don’t wait up.”

• Like 1

5 hours ago, 21 shooter said:

One of the Carolina’s, I forget which one, got a new auto factory for a German car. BMW I think. After a couple years they gave up and made the first day of deer season a paid holiday. So many “I’m sick [if I can’t go deer hunting.]” calls they couldn’t run the plant. 

• Like 2