Schmidt Meister's Grab Bag

Schmidt Meister

In 2012, Wynkoop Brewery made an April Fools’ Day video announcing the creation of Rocky Mountain Oyster Stout, referencing the classic Western snack of fried bull testicles. Fans responded enthusiastically, even though the concept was a joke. Wynkoop followed up by actually brewing the beer.
Jokes aside, beer nerds approve of the nutty brew. Rocky Mountain Oyster Stout is 7.5 percent ABV (alcohol by volume) and three BPB (balls per barrel). And to drive the point home, the self-proclaimed “ballsiest canned beer in the world” is sold in a two-pack. Brewers add roasted barley, seven specialty malts, Styrian Goldings hops, and a hint of sea salt to complete the recipe. The brewery describes the inky, viscous stout as “assertive” (which might be projection). Earthy, savory notes of chocolate and coffee round out the stout’s slightly bitter, dry finish.
Whether drinkers find themselves intrigued or repulsed by the addition of sliced, roasted testicles, Rocky Mountain Oyster Stout is a testament to the zeitgeist. Brewers in the no-rules frontier of American craft beer effuse humor, enthusiasm, and creativity. If you’re not laughing at this one, you might come around to it after polishing off a two-pack.

I feel like I would be cheating you if I didn’t include Wynkoop’s Release Statement

Alright, it’s official: we have released a hand-canned version of our world-famous Rocky Mountain Oyster Stout.
This is another seminal moment in our 25 years of small-batch liquid art.
As you may recall, RMOS Stout made its debut during last year’s Great American Beer Festival. The draft-only beer earned press and consumer interest from around the world and led to long lines for the beer at our GABF table.
The new hand-canned version of Rocky Mountain Oyster Stout is being sold in unique two packs of labeled 12-ounce cans. It’ll be available at select retailers in our Denver distribution area.
For beer lovers outside of the Denver area, a limited amount of the beer will be available through the www.letspour.com web site starting March 11.
We’re certain that this is the ballsiest canned beer in the world. We believe it’s also the nation’s first two pack of cans.
The beer is made in tiny 8-barrel batches (instead of our usual, already small 20-barrel batch) and is the first in our new Even Smaller Batch Series of beers. (A barrel of beer equals 31 gallons and two standard 15.5 gallon kegs.)
Head brewer Andy Brown developed the beer’s recipe.
A meaty foreign-style stout, Rocky Mountain Oyster Stout is made with Colorado base malts, roasted barley, seven specialty malts, Styrian Goldings hops, and 25 pounds of freshly sliced and roasted bull testicles.
Rocky Mountain Oyster Stout is an assertive, viscous stout with a rich brown/black color, a luscious mouthfeel and deep flavors of chocolate, espresso and nuts. The beer sports a savory, umami-like note and a roasty dry finish.
Rocky Mountain Oyster Stout is 7.5% ABV and 3 BPBs. (That’s balls per barrel.)
The beer came to life last fall after the enthusiastic response to our 2012 April Fools Day spoof video in which we claimed to have made the beer. I got the video joke idea and wrote up the script after sampling a traditional oyster stout (made with ocean-grown kind) by the fine folks at Odell Brewing.

Rocky Mountain Oyster Stout - Wynkoop Brewery - April Fool's Day - 2012.jpg

Rocky Mountain Oyster Stout - Wynkoop Brewery - April Fool's Day - 2012 - 2.jpg

Rocky Mountain Oyster Stout - Wynkoop Brewery - April Fool's Day - 2012 - 3.jpg

• Sad 1

7 minutes ago, Mrs.Cicero said:

Have a good vacation!  

Thank you. It's gonna start off bad but it should get good.

Just made some changes to the itinerary that will put us shooting through Death Valley as a shortcut so I'm gonna try and stop at Furnace Creek and get a pic with the fuel sign. I heard gas prices there are 8.75 for regular now. (Gonna fill up before I go into Death Valley.) Want to also go to the Racetrack Playa and see the moving stones ... or the trails anyway.

Anyway, Thanks again.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Schmidt Meister said:

Thanks, Cross country vacation, wife's mother is not in such great shape. Wife will not fly so I'm driving to CA.

Best wishes to your family, amigo.

Don't let anyone in California know that you speak English and have some money.

They won't let your leave until they have all of your money and then -- you're a racist.

:599c64bfb50b0_wavey1:

• Thanks 2

7 hours ago, tous said:

Best wishes to your family, amigo.

Don't let anyone in California know that you speak English and have some money.

They won't let your leave until they have all of your money and then -- you're a racist.

:599c64bfb50b0_wavey1:

Unfortunately, I have been in CA more times than I ever thought I would be. My wife and all of her family are from CA and it has necessitated trips there every 2 or 3 years. They never come to Florida ... thankfully. They are a pack of full blown liberals except for her oldest son. They hated me from the day that my wife and I decided to become a couple. They determined that I had to be a racist because I live in the South. When they found out about my Bible toting, gun slinging, flag waving habits they completely lost their minds. It has been a 21 year fiasco with them. I took their daughter, sister and moved her from a shithole state and moved her to Florida and they have hated it from day one ... BWAHAHAHAHAHAhahahahaha.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...