Schmidt Meister's Grab Bag

Schmidt Meister

On our recent trip out west, we were travelling from Tombstone to Winslow and we made a last minute decision to cut through the Apache-Sitgreaves National Forest and see part of the real area instead of driving the main highway. We always like to see the back roads and take a wandering path … DAMN IT, MAN … it wasn’t until I got home that I looked the road up to see if I could find anything about it.
I previously have driven the Dragon’s Tail in TN, with 318 curves in 11 miles and The Diamondback in NC, which consists of a loop that includes NC 226A, US 221, Tom’s Creek Road, NC 80, and part of the Blue Ridge Parkway, that has 190 curves in 11 miles and I thought they very very interesting rides … they AIN’T GOT s**t On 191.
I found out 191 is the Coronado Trail Scenic Byway. It has 460 turns in 129 miles.
The road was ‘formerly’ ROUTE 666 aka “THE DEVIL’S HIGHWAY.” It runs from Springerville to Clifton in SE AZ.
From the website: www.dangerousroads.org, it reports:
“With 460 curves, the road is a true gem: narrow and winding, dipping from one curve to the next. The drive is spectacular and uncrowded. This is a dangerous mountain road with many sharp curves and little or no shoulders on steep cliffs. It’s one of the least traveled federal highways. The road is chock-full of challenging switchbacks and hairpin turns. It’s said to have 460 curves. It's one of the highest roads of Arizona.
This is a meandering, moseying, slow-motion drive. In many places the road has no shoulder, so not a good place for either novice or nervous drivers. The road tops out at 2.860m (9,383ft) above the sea level 4 miles south of Hannagan Meadow, in Greenlee County across the steep and heavily wooded White Mountains. Plan about 4-5 hours to complete the drive. This is a good drive at any season of the year. It has it all: snowy mountains, grassy valleys, animals aplenty, driving excitement, and ridiculous views. Be sure and gas up in Alpine before heading out. There are no service stations along this stretch of road.”
The map I included does NOT show the true nature of this road. Put Coronado Trail Scenic Byway into your browser map and zoom in and get the real picture.

191 - Coronado Trail.png

• Like 1

On the way home, Debra had to stop by Pawhuska, the city in the middle of Nodamnwhere, OK to see the Pioneer Woman's empire. This is the only thing in all of Oklahoma. And of course, the wind was blowing, it's always blowing there ... sweeping down the plain, y'all know the story ...

IMG_1324.JPG

IMG_0691.JPG

IMG_0697.JPG

On 5/6/2022 at 9:24 PM, railfancwb said:

At the risk of being repetitious…

2279E51F-D63E-4F24-9580-DD69F1E5BEE6.jpeg

Per the labor laws,  we were too young to pick corn.

But we were old enough to drag the burlap sacks, along the rows,  while the older kids filled them with 80lbs of corn.

And drag them back up the aisle,  and huck them into the back of the stake truck,  so another 10-year-old could stack them up,  while another 10-year-old drove it.

OSHA rules!

• Like 4

And now kids play video games and a hard days work would hurt most of them.  It must have been educational back then though, as there were no man buns nor 63+ gender’s.  

I will bet those sacks of corn weighed 200 pounds by dinner time. 

AZ-191, the scenic byway I mentioned earlier, starts just south of the Morenci Mine. AZ-191 meanders right through the center of the largest copper mine in the US. There are times when you are right next to a 2000 ft drop in the mine and others, you are going into a tunnel just below huge off road dump trucks.
The Morenci Mine is located in eastern Arizona and is one of the largest copper reserves in the world. The mine is located along US Highway 191 near the small towns of Morenci and Clifton. It is about 10 miles from the southeastern edge of the San Carlos Indian Reservation. It is reported to contain over 3.2 billion tons of ore grading 0.16% copper.
In 1865 copper was first discovered in Morenci, the discovery turned out to be part of a huge vein of copper spanning a whole mountain. The Detroit Copper Company started the Morenci mine 7 years later in 1872 and operated it until Copper Queen Mining bought the property in 1885. (Copper Queen Mining later changed its name to Phelps Dodge in 1917.)
In March 2007, Phelps Dodge was involved in a $29.5 billion takeover by Freeport McMoran. Freeport McMoran Copper and Gold is a mining company operating out of Arizona and is the largest producer of Molybdenum and the second largest producer of copper in the world. In May 2016 Freeport McMoran sold a 13% stake of the mine to Sumitomo Metal Mining.

353085354_ScreenShot2022-05-08at12_09_55PM.png

• Like 1

On 5/8/2022 at 1:37 AM, Huaco Kid said:

OSHA rules!

OSHA and labor laws my ass. I worked for the family company. Started punching a time clock at 5 years old. Went from kindergarten to the station. They said being family got us around the rules.