Schmidt Meister's Grab Bag

Schmidt Meister

I love this dude and his music. One of the most loved and admired Hawaiians ever.

Israel "IZ" Kamakawiwoʻole. Born 5.20.1959. I’ve loved this dude every since I heard his version of "Over The Rainbow" the first time by accident. Most people, on first glance, wouldn't give him a second glance because most of us don't listen to a lot of "Hawaiian" music. It's a unique culture and only a small minority of Americans/Humans have lived their culture. Anyway, I heard this song and I went and watched some videos about "IZ" and I was unfortunate (sarc) enough to get to a video of his 'funeral' which was a burial at sea. I think the whole of Hawaii was at that celebration. His music, so different from any other music I listen to, inspires and motivates me to try and be a better person when others allow me.  Music moves us in mysterious ways and for some reason that I have no theory for, I feel some kind of a connection to IZ and his music.

"One race, brah .... the human" (Iz) which is significant given today's insanity.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Schmidt Meister said:

I love this dude and his music. One of the most loved and admired Hawaiians ever.

Israel "IZ" Kamakawiwoʻole. Born 5.20.1959. I’ve loved this dude every since I heard his version of "Over The Rainbow" the first time by accident. Most people, on first glance, wouldn't give him a second glance because most of us don't listen to a lot of "Hawaiian" music. It's a unique culture and only a small minority of Americans/Humans have lived their culture. Anyway, I heard this song and I went and watched some videos about "IZ" and I was unfortunate (sarc) enough to get to a video of his 'funeral' which was a burial at sea. I think the whole of Hawaii was at that celebration. His music, so different from any other music I listen to, inspires and motivates me to try and be a better person when others allow me.  Music moves us in mysterious ways and for some reason that I have no theory for, I feel some kind of a connection to IZ and his music.

"One race, brah .... the human" (Iz) which is significant given today's insanity.

A rising tide raises all boats.  :sport-smiley-027:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, railfancwb said:

The beer can wheel seems to be rotating backward. 

The aquarium pump is filling the cans as they come over until they reach the fill hose and the weight causes the wheel to turn until they dump out again at the bottom. It does appear backwards but the design and the operation are correct.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Schmidt Meister said:

The aquarium pump is filling the cans as they come over until they reach the fill hose and the weight causes the wheel to turn until they dump out again at the bottom. It does appear backwards but the design and the operation are correct.

Ok. Now I see the hose filling the cans. Didn’t see that earlier. 

• Like 2

Golfer - Car Wreck And The Woman's Arm

A golfer was involved in a terrible car crash and was rushed to the hospital. Just before he was put under, the surgeon popped in to see him.
"I have some good news and some bad news," says the surgeon. "The bad news is that I have to remove your right arm!"
"Oh God no!" cries the man "My golfing is over! Please Doc, what's the good news?"
"The good news is, I have another one to replace it with, but it's a woman's arm and I'll need your permission before I go ahead with the transplant."
"Go for it, doc," says the man, "as long as I can play golf again."

The operation went well and a year later the man was out on the golf course when he bumped into the surgeon.
"Hi, how's the new arm?" asks the surgeon. "Just great," says the businessman. "I'm playing the best golf ever. My new arm has a much finer touch, and my putting has really improved."

"That's great," said the surgeon.
"Not only that," continued the golfer, "my handwriting has improved, I've learned how to sew my own clothes and I've even taken up painting landscapes in watercolors."
"That's unbelievable!" said the surgeon, "I'm so glad to hear the transplant was such a great success. Are you having any side effects?"
"Well, just two, said the golfer, "I have trouble parallel parking and every time I get an erection, I get a headache."

• Haha 2

This guy was in a horrible car wreck and in a coma, and the moment he came out of it the doctor was there to see him. After explaining his condition the doctor tells the man that unfortunately his penis was severed in the accident and couldn't be found! The man freaks out and the doc tells him not to worry, that they have the ability to build him a new penis that works even better than the original! The guy asks how much it costs and the doc says it's 1000 dollars an inch, and that he still had 9000 dollars left on his insurance. The guy tells the doc to go for it!

The doc suggests to the man that he might want to discuss it with his wife first, because if he had a 5 incher and got the 9 incher the she might not be comfortable with that. Also, if he had a 9 incher and got a 5 incher she might not be comfortable with that either! So the guy agrees to discuss it with his wife. Next day the doc comes in and asks the patient what he decided on. He answered, we're going to go with the granite counter tops.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

31 minutes ago, Schmidt Meister said:

How many of you remember these balsa wood gliders? We killed quite a few of them in my youth.

Balsawood Glider Toy .jpg

Kids these days   don't have a clue  10 cent glider = hours of fun....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

A story that you probably haven't heard about a business you have heard of. 
If you were in the market for a watch in 1880, would you know where to get one? You would go to a store, right? Well, of course, you could do that, but if you wanted one that was cheaper and a bit better than most of the store watches, you went to the train station.
In the 1880’s, for about 500 towns across the northern United States, that’s where the best watches were found. Why?  The railroad company wasn’t selling the watches, not at all. The telegraph operator was.
Most of the time the telegraph operator was located in the railroad station because the telegraph lines followed the railroad tracks from town to town. It was usually the shortest distance and the right-of-way had already been secured for the rail line.
Most of the station agents were also skilled telegraph operators and it was the primary way they communicated with the railroad. They would know when trains left the previous station and when they were due at their next station. And it was the telegraph operator who had the watches.  
As a matter of fact, they sold more of them than almost all the stores combined for a period of about 9 years. This was all arranged by “Richard”, who was a telegraph operator himself.
He was on duty in the North Redwood, Minnesota train station one day when a load of watches arrived from the East. It was a huge crate of pocket watches. No one ever came to claim them. So Richard sent a telegram to the manufacturer and asked them what they wanted to do with the watches. The manufacturer didn’t want to pay the freight back, so they wired Richard to see if he could sell them. So Richard did.
He sent a wire to every agent in the system asking them if they wanted a cheap, but good, pocket watch. He sold the entire case in less than two days and at a handsome profit.
That started it all. He ordered more watches from the watch company and encouraged the telegraph operators to set up a display case in the station offering high quality watches for a cheap price to all the travelers. It worked!
It didn’t take long for the word to spread and, before long, people other than travelers came to the train station to buy watches. Richard became so busy that he had to hire a professional watchmaker to help him with the orders. That was Alvah. And the rest is history as they say.  
The business took off and soon expanded to many other lines of dry goods. Richard and Alvah left the train station and moved their company to Chicago.
Yes, for a while in the 1880s, the biggest watch retailer in the country was at the train station. It all started with a telegraph operator: Richard Sears and his business partner Alvah Roebuck.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2