ibuprofen

DAKA

THIS is really great stuff,

Yesterday i decided to repaint the front doors to our house, (High doors) and a g;ass arch

No big deal, till I reached out to mask the top of the archway, 10'  from a 4 '  ladder...oops stretched too far felt a twinge,,,

OMG lower back agony,, 

2 IBP's and the pain is manageable, later 2 more and this morning 1 more pain almost gone.....😄

Sounds like you chose the wrong tool for the job.

Ibuprofen has been pain management of choice through a couple of surgeries, all things dental, and about every other ache and pain. Codeine doesn't work for me. Had more than one doc give the stink eye when they offered and I declined.

Glad you weren't much worse for the wear.

1 hour ago, DWARREN123 said:

I have been known to buy the large bottles!

We used to go to a store called "35 Off" which sells things from the Costco that are shopworn or have gone out of date. I'd get those two-bottle lashups for like $5. They'd be a month out of date, which meant they're still good for a year or two. 

My nephrologist lowered the boom and now ibuprofen is off my list. :(

12 hours ago, DAKA said:

THIS is really great stuff,

Yesterday i decided to repaint the front doors to our house, (High doors) and a g;ass arch

No big deal, till I reached out to mask the top of the archway, 10'  from a 4 '  ladder...oops stretched too far felt a twinge,,,

OMG lower back agony,, 

2 IBP's and the pain is manageable, later 2 more and this morning 1 more pain almost gone.....😄

I Learned bout that years ago...98 I think it was.  I could actually walk down to the drug store and buy 800MG. Tablets.  Over seas of course.  When I left, I brought about 8 bottles with me.  Use to need them when I was climbin poles back in 98-2000.  I remember one day, "Big Jake", just had a Massive head ache.  He was was known for em.  Jake was a Big Boy.  380 at least, and not a hell of alot of fat.  cantankerous, when he had head aches.  Thank god he loved me.  Use to call me "Dad".  Came walkin over after I just came down off a pole and said, "Dad...my fuckin heads killin me.  I know you take **** for your shoulder...would It work for my head ache?"  I gave him 2.    Yup...IBP works.  NOT good for the liver in High dosages though, or after booze...

1 hour ago, Swampfox762 said:

I Learned bout that years ago...98 I think it was.  I could actually walk down to the drug store and buy 800MG. Tablets.  Over seas of course.  When I left, I brought about 8 bottles with me.  Use to need them when I was climbin poles back in 98-2000.  I remember one day, "Big Jake", just had a Massive head ache.  He was was known for em.  Jake was a Big Boy.  380 at least, and not a hell of alot of fat.  cantankerous, when he had head aches.  Thank god he loved me.  Use to call me "Dad".  Came walkin over after I just came down off a pole and said, "Dad...my fuckin heads killin me.  I know you take **** for your shoulder...would It work for my head ache?"  I gave him 2.    Yup...IBP works.  NOT good for the liver in High dosages though, or after booze...

Actually no good for beans (kidneys). Liver is tylenol.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, NPTim said:

Actually no good for beans (kidneys). Liver is tylenol.

Came in to say this. Too bad the good stuff can do you in as well. Can't tell you how many kids I've carried to "higher level of care" sipping on Mucomyst and realizing they may have just killed themselves when biding for attention. Sadly too many were correct.

• Confused 1

14 hours ago, DAKA said:

We used to mix a little ibuprofin with a little Tylonal.

We called it candy, back when i was young.

We are so lucky to have decent pain relievers over the counter.

I wouldn't know what to do without either.

• Like 1

NPTim, I thought you were a doctor for some reason. Either way, the confusion is my lack of info. Tylenol will do very ugly things to your liver, like destroy it, and the Mucomyst is supposed to stimulate antioxidants to detoxify the liver.

Too may kids(teens) thought showing out and downing a bottle of Tylenol was a "safe" thing to do. It isn't. Usually trying for some sort of shock value toward a parent.

Keep both under the max daily dose and limit use as much as possible, and for most of us they are safe and pretty forgiving.

2 hours ago, LostinTexas said:

NPTim, I thought you were a doctor for some reason. Either way, the confusion is my lack of info. Tylenol will do very ugly things to your liver, like destroy it, and the Mucomyst is supposed to stimulate antioxidants to detoxify the liver.

Too may kids(teens) thought showing out and downing a bottle of Tylenol was a "safe" thing to do. It isn't. Usually trying for some sort of shock value toward a parent.

Keep both under the max daily dose and limit use as much as possible, and for most of us they are safe and pretty forgiving.

No, nurse practitioner, thus the NP in NPTim. Was this for my benefit or the general edification of the group?

54 minutes ago, NPTim said:

No, nurse practitioner, thus the NP in NPTim. Was this for my benefit or the general edification of the group?

General. You pointed out that I missed the boat a bit on info.

I write things that make perfect since to me a the time, but really doesn't to anyone else, and you put a confused reaction, so thought I should explain a bit after reading it again.

I am glad to not be a part of that any longer. I enjoyed the remote level Paramedic for my last 8 years, a lot. I was very happy to not have to deal with certain things, at least on a regular basis.

Ibuprofen messes with your digestive tract over time. I try to stay away from any drugs for as long as possible. Not taking anything these days.

Last time I really needed some help was with a couple kidney stones 4 years ago. None of the OTC stuff helped, not even a dent, so I went to the ER.

Got a bottle full of Oxycodone pills. Never felt so good in my life with zero pains. I was literally high. Only took one pill though, the rest is still sitting in my medical cabinet.

On the following days I worked my way through the pain without any painkillers. Took me 2 weeks to pass both stones. One trick in the end help me to flush them out finally. Drink a ton of water with lemon juice, don't go pee for hours, hold it as long as possible, squeeze your pipe tight, let go, wait a few seconds, let pipe go. This builds up pressure and expands the urethra to the point that the stones become dislodged and flush out.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Oy Veh, I know what that was like....Sometime in the late 70's I woke up at 3 AM with excruciating pain, could not find a comfortable position.

I was living on LI at the time, my dad a surgeon in Brooklyn,at the time, I called him explained, he told me it sounded like I had a kidney stone,, and that I should go over to Syosset hospital and he would call there

Since we had 2 young kids, i told my wife I'd get myself over there (15 minutes away) Agonizing drive over there, and on the way I had to stop to pee along the road... the pain seemed to subside, by the time I got to 

the hospital it was gone....so what to do,go in and tell them I had a pain but it was gone? 

I went across the street to the Syosset diner, had breakfast, went home and never had another problem    🙄    

21 minutes ago, DAKA said:

Oy Veh, I know what that was like....Sometime in the late 70's I woke up at 3 AM with excruciating pain, could not find a comfortable position.

I was living on LI at the time, my dad a surgeon in Brooklyn,at the time, I called him explained, he told me it sounded like I had a kidney stone,, and that I should go over to Syosset hospital and he would call there

Since we had 2 young kids, i told my wife I'd get myself over there (15 minutes away) Agonizing drive over there, and on the way I had to stop to pee along the road... the pain seemed to subside, by the time I got to 

the hospital it was gone....so what to do,go in and tell them I had a pain but it was gone? 

I went across the street to the Syosset diner, had breakfast, went home and never had another problem    🙄    

Lucky. Most deal with those stones for weeks. Must have been a small one. Bigger ones cause pain levels that go beyond the pain of childbearing.

In the first night I was crying, screaming, and punched a hole into the wall.

Drove myself to the ER the next morning, trying to get there in-between the onsets. Sitting at a red light, one of those hoodrats rear-ended me. The cop arrived fast but took his time writing the report. When I told him about my kidney stone and being on the way to the ER, he tried to call an ambulance on me. Took me 10 minutes to convince him that I'll make it without crashing. By the time I arrived on the parking lot of the ER I crawled out of my car on all 4. Some guy saw me coming and tried to put me into a wheelchair. I told him that I managed to get there on my own, after a crash, I will NOT get into that ******* chair for the last 10 yards.

Needless to say, that hoodrat didn't pay insurance past her first installment and they didn't pay a dime. Obviously she didn't have any money either with her better half sitting in jail.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GT4494 said:

Studies have shown that mixing caffeine with pain killers will enhance the effectiveness in some people.

The OTC pain relief in the UK have it in the pills.

We have it here. Though it’s used mainly for migraines. Goody’s powder, B.C. powder, and excedrine. It is believed that headaches are caused, or can be cause, by dilated (relaxed or expanded) blood vessels, thus the throbbing pain. Caffeine constricts (narrows) the blood vessels. Aspirin and acetaminophen or ibuprofen and acetaminophen work together quite effectively. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, crockett said:

Ibuprofen messes with your digestive tract over time. I try to stay away from any drugs for as long as possible. Not taking anything these days.

Last time I really needed some help was with a couple kidney stones 4 years ago. None of the OTC stuff helped, not even a dent, so I went to the ER.

Got a bottle full of Oxycodone pills. Never felt so good in my life with zero pains. I was literally high. Only took one pill though, the rest is still sitting in my medical cabinet.

On the following days I worked my way through the pain without any painkillers. Took me 2 weeks to pass both stones. One trick in the end help me to flush them out finally. Drink a ton of water with lemon juice, don't go pee for hours, hold it as long as possible, squeeze your pipe tight, let go, wait a few seconds, let pipe go. This builds up pressure and expands the urethra to the point that the stones become dislodged and flush out.

One word, hydronephrosis.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, crockett said:

Needless to say, that hoodrat didn't pay insurance past her first installment and they didn't pay a dime. Obviously she didn't have any money either with her better half sitting in jail.

I’ve always had liability insurance. None of those who’ve hit me had it.

Could never get it past insurance companies and agents and tort attorneys, but I would like to see each person buy his/her equivalent of liability insurance. Don’t want to collect, don’t buy it.

Now those buying liability insurance are offered and in some cases required to buy “Uninsured Motorist Coverage” so we are paying coming and going. Possibly would have to sue one’s own insurance company to collect. 

24 minutes ago, railfancwb said:

I’ve always had liability insurance. None of those who’ve hit me had it.

Could never get it past insurance companies and agents and tort attorneys, but I would like to see each person buy his/her equivalent of liability insurance. Don’t want to collect, don’t buy it.

Now those buying liability insurance are offered and in some cases required to buy “Uninsured Motorist Coverage” so we are paying coming and going. Possibly would have to sue one’s own insurance company to collect. 

Uninsured Motorist Coverage is not required in Florida, but you would be stupid if you don't get it. Too many driving around with suspended or revoked license, too many will hit and run, too many won't stop because of warrants or being drunk / drugged, too many driving around with no insurance, too many around with zero assets.

The warm weather attracts all the roaches, nationwide.

• Like 1