New drill

gwalchmai

Yesterday I was trying to drill a hole in my sister's brick wall and found that my 18v Dewalt battery was dead-ish. I thought it had a full charge. I said to my wife, the heiress, that it might be a good time to buy her husband a new drill. Recalling that I had found the Dewalt in the suspended ceiling at work in 2005, she replied, in reference to my fabled frugality,  "I can't afford to fritter away my windfall buying you a new drill every 20 years". :anim_lol:

Anyway, we have a 24v Kobalt combo set from Lowes with a leaf blower and weedeater which work surprisingly well and manage our entire yard on a single charge, so I'm thinking of getting a drill, driver, circular saw combo to complement them. Anybody tried these?

coming soon

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Huaco Kid said:

I'm still using a 20 year old Craftsman.

I don't have a battery powered anything.

You're missing out! 

The new LI-ion battery tools are fantastic....I've had my RYOBI stuff for years now, long battery life,   the only "problem" I've found is that the tool gives no "slow down" warning...it just quits when the battery is run down

• Like 2

Probably fine, and Lowes will be around for a while, most likely.

The biggest gains in these kinds of tools in the past few years has been battery tech. The tools were probably pretty good all along, but batteries? Not so much. The new Lithium batteries are lighter and go circles around the old Nickle ones. Even the new NiMH batteries are so much better.

For the Weekend Worrier type, these should get you a long way down the road. I don't tool snob, it just ain't productive. Been trying out a set of Hart drill and impact driver for about a year now. Got a saw in the mix too. All three have been more than satisfactory for my use.

Happy Frittering

Edited by LostinTexas
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, Batesmotel said:

Do want!

1CADDAAB-F0D5-4029-A696-32D25CA97955.jpeg

This is the "buy once, cry once" option. :599c64b15e0f8_thumbsup:

I remember an article from the 1970 Motorcycle Sports Quarterly which has somehow stuck with me. They reviewed a bunch of bikes, including the Honda CB750, the BMW 850, Moto Guzzi 850-ish, the Harley Sportster and Electra Glide, the Kawasaki 500 Triple, and the Suzuki 500 Titan. They concluded that the Kawasaki and Suzuki tied for "best bang for the buck" depending on whether you put your emphasis on bang or buck. I've found that lesson useful many times over the years.

Image 1 - 1970 Summer Petersen's Motorcycle Sport Quarterly Vintage Magazine

Edited by gwalchmai
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Batesmotel said:

Do want!

1CADDAAB-F0D5-4029-A696-32D25CA97955.jpeg

I know a lot of people on Team Milwaukie, and a lot of them seem like Apple folks. You know, nothing else in the world, and anyone who thinks different is sub human, but a lot of those guys that use them a lot complain the batteries aren't that long lasting. The little round ones, not sure the line, Fuel? maybe, seem to get a lot of complains. I asked what the gripe was since they have small batteries, and the consensus seems to be they don't last through a job, much less a day, or half a day, even the larger ones.

I don't use them, but know a lot of electricians, AC guys, and other trades that do. Seems to be across the board and either super enlightened bliss or just don't quite cut it. The tools don't seem to get any real complaints.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Huaco Kid said:

I wish more people thought like you. I have a HORDE of corded power tools I'm trying to sell from my dad's and brother's estates. Not having much luck even at crazy low prices. We won't discuss the literal MILES of extension cords they have here. Levels? You want a few dozen? Tape measures by the bucket full. Multitudes of multiples of EVERYTHING. Don't be a hoarder. Someone has to come behind you and dispose of all this stuff. Rant over.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, LostinTexas said:

I know a lot of people on Team Milwaukie, and a lot of them seem like Apple folks. You know, nothing else in the world, and anyone who thinks different is sub human, but a lot of those guys that use them a lot complain the batteries aren't that long lasting. The little round ones, not sure the line, Fuel? maybe, seem to get a lot of complains. I asked what the gripe was since they have small batteries, and the consensus seems to be they don't last through a job, much less a day, or half a day, even the larger ones.

I don't use them, but know a lot of electricians, AC guys, and other trades that do. Seems to be across the board and either super enlightened bliss or just don't quite cut it. The tools don't seem to get any real complaints.

Fuel is the line of brushless tools.

"The little round ones" might be the smaller 12V battery line.  I'd agree, the 12V 1.5 amp battery really doesn't last that long under heavy use, but how lightweight the tools are is pretty nice with how durable they are.  

I like my milwaukee tools, and use them to pay the bills.  I'm not quite a fanboy as I recommend them when someone is looking for a tool to use as a professional or a prosumer, but for the hobbyist lines like the Ryobi are a lot more cost effective.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Huaco Kid said:

I kept a battery powered drill/driver, but never used power much of anything either. The occasional air tool when I had to because the job called for it, but just didn't use them much. I traded in a 20+ year old B&D on the Hart tools above. The difference is nothing short of amazing drill to drill, battery to battery.

Now that my hands have revolted and repetitious movement is a big problem, thanks to injury, the air and battery tools get more mileage. I haven't opened my hand socket set in 5 years. They will never leave, because a use will pop up, but the air ratchet and battery impact ratchet make for me to still do some small projects. Precision work still needs a standard socket/wrench set.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Cougar_ml said:

Fuel is the line of brushless tools.

"The little round ones" might be the smaller 12V battery line.  I'd agree, the 12V 1.5 amp battery really doesn't last that long under heavy use, but how lightweight the tools are is pretty nice with how durable they are.  

I like my milwaukee tools, and use them to pay the bills.  I'm not quite a fanboy as I recommend them when someone is looking for a tool to use as a professional or a prosumer, but for the hobbyist lines like the Ryobi are a lot more cost effective.

Yes, the smaller round batteries that slide neatly into the handle instead to the base on a sliding block.. They do look handy, at least to me, and make for a sleeker lighter tool. Sometimes you just have to compromise for what is best suited for the task.

I use a battery powered screw driver, more than I ever thought I would. It is slow, and not much for torque, but it does a nice job on small hex and screw heads. The one thing I keep very handy. It has save a lot of hand cramping for me.

Edited by LostinTexas
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, LostinTexas said:

Yes, the smaller round batteries that slide neatly into the handle instead to the base on a sliding block.. They do look handy, at least to me, and make for a sleeker tool. Sometimes you just have to compromise for what is best suited for the task.

I mostly use the 2 and 3 amp hour 12V batteries because the 1.5 amp are crap.  

But I also don't use the 12V stuff much except my right angle impact driver and my heated jacket.  

Everything is a trade off, and you get what you pay for.

• Like 2

On 7/1/2021 at 8:06 AM, gwalchmai said:

Yesterday I was trying to drill a hole in my sister's brick wall and found that my 18v Dewalt battery was dead-ish. I thought it had a full charge. I said to my wife, the heiress, that it might be a good time to buy her husband a new drill. Recalling that I had found the Dewalt in the suspended ceiling at work in 2005, she replied, in reference to my fabled frugality,  "I can't afford to fritter away my windfall buying you a new drill every 20 years". :anim_lol:

Anyway, we have a 24v Kobalt combo set from Lowes with a leaf blower and weedeater which work surprisingly well and manage our entire yard on a single charge, so I'm thinking of getting a drill, driver, circular saw combo to complement them. Anybody tried these?

coming soon

China ****.

Buy a German made FEIN. That will last over 20 years and make your heiress happy.

https://fein.com/en_us/tools/drilling-screwdriving/

Fein-4.png

• Like 2