Had to bury my kitteh yesterday

SC Tiger

Had to bury my cat yesterday.  Her name was Gracie and she was about 15 we think.  BIL's ex-wife got her for him, then when they got divorced she was given to us since the BIL's wife (now ex) claimed she was allergic to her.  3 years or so later.  Long story but BIL thought the wife would come back if he got rid of the cat.  IMO he should have just kept the cat but.....

We had noticed she was losing a little weight the past few months but thought the dog was making her scared to go to her food.  So we made her a place in the bedroom where the dog cannot get to her.  That seemed to help and she gained a little weight back (by observation, never actually weighed her) But she then started losing weight again (or she kept losing it and what we thought was her gaining weight was actually us seeing what we wanted to see).  She had also started hiding more - I figured hiding from the dog.  Thursday I found her with her head propped up on the water dish lapping water.  She was really weak and had stopped eating.

Wife took her to the vet Friday.  They said she seemed to have Lymphoma and/or Leukemia (feline I assume).  White Blood Cell count was through the roof.  She was down to about 3 pounds at most.  They gave her an IV to try to perk her up a little bit, but it didn't work.  She was really weak.  I was giving her water with a syringe to try to at least keep her from being thirsty (I was torn on that - I didn't want to drag out her suffering but I couldn't stand the thought of her dying due to dehydration/thirst).  Selfishly we wanted her to make it until my son went to Boy Scout camp Sunday but honestly I just wanted her comfortable.  We didn't want him to have to deal with that right before he left.  

Sunday morning, after my son left, I checked on her and she had declined more.  I tried to stand her up but it was literally like standing up a rag doll.  She was too weak to hold herself up and she just flopped over.  I held her for a while and told her that if she was ready to cross over that she didn't need to fight it anymore (ironically, when she was healthy she hated being held).  Wife apologized for threatening to make her homeless when she peed on the bed (made the wife feel better).  The dog came up, sniffed her, and climbed on the couch and curled up next to us.  No barks, no growls, or anything.  Just climbed up and cuddled.  I think she knew what was happening and wanted to be with her people.  I thought about taking kitteh outside and ending her suffering myself but the wife wouldn't let me.  We were planning to take her to the vet today (Monday).

We laid her on the bed (with a puppy pad under her) and we went to lunch.  Came back a few hours later and she was dead.  I'm no expert but her body had started to stiffen up so I figure she died not too long after we left. 

What stinks about it is that there were signs she was in bad health but I completely missed them.  The hiding, the weight loss, and she had stopped jumping up on the bed. But she didn't seem to be in pain.

SC Tiger Cub doesn't know yet but I think he knows/knew it was coming.  He made a comment about her crossing over Saturday night.  We figure we'll tell him after camp.  Why ruin that experience for him?  There was and is nothing he can do, or could have done.  

She was a really good kitteh.

Edited by SC Tiger
  • Like 1
  • Sad 13

9 minutes ago, gwalchmai said:

My condolences, amigo. :icon_sad:

Thanks.  Wife was pretty broken up.  I pretty well knew it was coming but still miss her.

I told the wife that when we get another cat I want a Maine Coone that is big enough to knock the shvt out of the dog if she gets agressive.  

Dog trainer once told us that in a cat and dog household, it's better if the cats rule and the dogs drool.  Probably because the cat can't really hurt the dog, but the dog could easily kill the cat (if the dog is a medium or larger breed).

Edited by SC Tiger
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, SC Tiger said:

Had to bury my cat yesterday.  Her name was Gracie and she was about 15 we think.  BIL's ex-wife got her for him, then when they got divorced she was given to us since the BIL's wife (now ex) claimed she was allergic to her.  3 years or so later.  Long story but BIL thought the wife would come back if he got rid of the cat.  IMO he should have just kept the cat but.....

We had noticed she was losing a little weight the past few months but thought the dog was making her scared to go to her food.  So we made her a place in the bedroom where the dog cannot get to her.  That seemed to help and she gained a little weight back (by observation, never actually weighed her) But she then started losing weight again (or she kept losing it and what we thought was her gaining weight was actually us seeing what we wanted to see).  She had also started hiding more - I figured hiding from the dog.  Thursday I found her with her head propped up on the water dish lapping water.  She was really weak and had stopped eating.

Wife took her to the vet Friday.  They said she seemed to have Lymphoma and/or Leukemia (feline I assume).  White Blood Cell count was through the roof.  She was down to about 3 pounds at most.  They gave her an IV to try to perk her up a little bit, but it didn't work.  She was really weak.  I was giving her water with a syringe to try to at least keep her from being thirsty (I was torn on that - I didn't want to drag out her suffering but I couldn't stand the thought of her dying due to dehydration/thirst).  Selfishly we wanted her to make it until my son went to Boy Scout camp Sunday but honestly I just wanted her comfortable.  We didn't want him to have to deal with that right before he left.  

Sunday morning, after my son left, I checked on her and she had declined more.  I tried to stand her up but it was literally like standing up a rag doll.  She was too weak to hold herself up and she just flopped over.  I held her for a while and told her that if she was ready to cross over that she didn't need to fight it anymore (ironically, when she was healthy she hated being held).  Wife apologized for threatening to make her homeless when she peed on the bed (made the wife feel better).  The dog came up, sniffed her, and climbed on the couch and curled up next to us.  No barks, no growls, or anything.  Just climbed up and cuddled.  I think she knew what was happening.  I thought about taking kitteh outside and ending her suffering myself but the wife wouldn't let me.  We were planning to take her to the vet today (Monday).

We laid her on the bed (with a puppy pad under her) and we went to lunch.  Came back a few hours later and she was dead.  I'm no expert but her body had started to stiffen up so I figure she died not too long after we left. 

What stinks about it is that there were signs she was in bad health but I completely missed them.  The hiding, the weight loss, and she had stopped jumping up on the bed. But she didn't seem to be in pain.

SC Tiger Cub doesn't know yet but I think he knows it was coming.  He made a comment about her crossing over Saturday night.  We figure we'll tell him after camp.  Why ruin the experience for him?  There was and is nothing he can do, or could have done.  

She was a really good kitteh.

So Sorry man.  I understand.  Lost my cat years ago to that damn Feline Leukemia.  The vet back then called it Feline Anemia.  Jeff was 13.  I swear to god...we never even knew anything was wrong.  He never even showed any sign.  Just came home one day and he was curled up...Sleeping.  I'm glad he went like that.  Very sorry for your loss Sir.

• Like 1

It's interesting how cats become part of our soul...  

And when they leave us they take some of us with them.

But while they have shared themselves with us they have grown our souls and hearts....  

Their passing causes us a special pain, but their lives have brought us special happiness and fulfillment.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Swampfox762 said:

So Sorry man.  I understand.  Lost my cat years ago to that damn Feline Leukemia.  The vet back then called it Feline Anemia.  Jeff was 13.  I swear to god...we never even knew anything was wrong.  He never even showed any sign.  Just came home one day and he was curled up...Sleeping.  I'm glad he went like that.  Very sorry for your loss Sir.

So sorry.  And thank you.

I think Gracie went out peacefully but I do feel bad that I didn't act sooner to end it.  I know she knew the end was coming.  I like to think she held on until SC Tiger Cub left.  Once he left, she didn't have to fight anymore.  

Honestly, I was thinking of different ways to put her down once it became obvious that she wasn't gonna make it, but I couldn't come up with anything I knew would be humane.  

Years ago we considered adopting a cat that was positive for Feline Leukemia (or something related to it).  The cat was healthy and the place said he would be fine but we wouldn't want him to be around any unvaccinated cats.

12 hours ago, Maser said:

Cats are extremely good at hiding their pain and suffering.  That's what nature taught them to do.  Don't feel bad that you didn't notice it. 

They are.  I never even looked up the signs though because it didn't occur to me that she was sick until we found her Thursday at the water dish.  It didn't help that we don't exactly know how old she was.  We think around 15.  She had been throwing up a good bit but she's always done that.  I figured it was hairballs mostly.

I figure her and our previous cat Tiger are hanging out now, talking about how damn crazy their hoomins are.

On 6/21/2021 at 10:44 AM, Sparks said:

864A09BA-4454-42D9-A32C-BA12C9607119.jpeg

Love that.

18 hours ago, aomagrat said:

Pets matter.  Sorry for your loss.

They do.  I tell people all the time that I like my pets more than most people I know.

On 6/21/2021 at 9:41 AM, railfancwb said:

Always sad to loose a furry family friend and member.

when you are ready there are others who can bring you joy. 

We're gonna wait a little bit and try to get the dog trained a little better.  She's a sweet dog but kinda dumb.  She's pretty young - just over a year.

Edited by SC Tiger
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Well - one more issue with this.  Tomorrow SC Tiger Cub comes home from Boy Scout Camp.  And we have to tell him that kitteh died.

He'll probably handle it okay - it was expected - but thankfully he did not ask Wednesday when we went to visit him.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

We told SC Tiger Cub Saturday when we got home.  He took it harder than I thought he would.  He's okay now but I don't think he knew - or wanted to believe - that she was as sick as she was.

Found him hugging the dog a few minutes afterwards.

He's better now but he took it kinda hard.

• Like 2