Why on earth would people say things like this?

Mrs.Cicero

So, I posted an update to my family re:the 'Rona because several of them asked me to keep them informed.  It said, "Rona update. The youngest kid can't smell anything either. Other than that, it's still just a head cold for everyone but X, who isn't sick at all. One more week of quarantine. I might paint my bathroom next, 'cause I'm bored with weeding."

I got some "Good to hear!" and "Get well soon!" type responses, and then I got this...

"Hope you all heal up quickly with no repercussions. We had a healthy high school student hospitalized with MIS. Also had a student in the neighboring town, football player, no underlying conditions. Had to be intubated and went to into organ failure. He was the sickest patient they had at children’s hospital. Thankfully they both survived and continue to be monitored. Neither student had a bad case of Covid. I believe one of them didn’t even know he had had it. Yes these incidents are rare but they do happen and they come on very quickly."

Someone please explain to me what possible motivation this person could have for posting some random anecdotes of very low probability about people she's never met.  I mean, if I had said, "I've been diagnosed with thyroid cancer, would the next thing out of your mouth be, "We had a healthy high school student hospitalized with thyroid cancer.  Also had a student int he neighboring town, football player, no underlying conditions.  Had to be intubated and went into organ failure.  He was the sickest patient they had at children's hospital.  Thankfully they both survived and continue to the monitored.  Neither student had a bad case of cancer.  I believe one of them didn't even know he had it.  Yes these incidents are rare but they do happen and they come on very quickly." ?? Would you ever consider saying something like that to someone with cancer?  Or MS?  Or anything else?

I understand sharing one's own personal experiences with the illness, either as a "Hey I survived fine, so it can be done, and you will do it!" encouragement,  or as a "Hey look out for this particular issue because if I'd known about it, I could have avoided it, and you will want to" heads up sort of thing.   But a paragraph of anecdotes about strangers she doesn't even know and none of which provide any helpful information?  None of the motivations I can think of for that are at all kind, positive, or reflective of any sort of good character qualities that one might expect from one's own relatives.  I just don't get this at all.  I would never say that sort of thing to someone.  Am I missing something?  Or is she really just that rude, tone deaf, or nasty?  I'm completely flabbergasted.
Edited by Mrs.Cicero
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 3

24 minutes ago, Mrs.Cicero said:
So, I posted an update to my family re:the 'Rona because several of them asked me to keep them informed.  It said, "Rona update. The youngest kid can't smell anything either. Other than that, it's still just a head cold for everyone but X, who isn't sick at all. One more week of quarantine. I might paint my bathroom next, 'cause I'm bored with weeding."

I got some "Good to hear!" and "Get well soon!" type responses, and then I got this...

"Hope you all heal up quickly with no repercussions. We had a healthy high school student hospitalized with MIS. Also had a student in the neighboring town, football player, no underlying conditions. Had to be intubated and went to into organ failure. He was the sickest patient they had at children’s hospital. Thankfully they both survived and continue to be monitored. Neither student had a bad case of Covid. I believe one of them didn’t even know he had had it. Yes these incidents are rare but they do happen and they come on very quickly."

Someone please explain to me what possible motivation this person could have for posting some random anecdotes of very low probability about people she's never met.  I mean, if I had said, "I've been diagnosed with thyroid cancer, would the next thing out of your mouth be, "We had a healthy high school student hospitalized with thyroid cancer.  Also had a student int he neighboring town, football player, no underlying conditions.  Had to be intubated and went into organ failure.  He was the sickest patient they had at children's hospital.  Thankfully they both survived and continue to the monitored.  Neither student had a bad case of cancer.  I believe one of them didn't even know he had it.  Yes these incidents are rare but they do happen and they come on very quickly." ?? Would you ever consider saying something like that to someone with cancer?  Or MS?  Or anything else?

I understand sharing one's own personal experiences with the illness, either as a "Hey I survived fine, so it can be done, and you will do it!" encouragement,  or as a "Hey look out for this particular issue because if I'd known about it, I could have avoided it, and you will want to" heads up sort of thing.   But a paragraph of anecdotes about strangers she doesn't even know and none of which provide any helpful information?  None of the motivations I can think of for that are at all kind, positive, or reflective of any sort of good character qualities that one might expect from one's own relatives.  I just don't get this at all.  I would never say that sort of thing to someone.  Am I missing something?  Or is she really just that rude, tone deaf, or nasty?  I'm completely flabbergasted.

Went out for dinner with two people I went to high school with many, many, years ago.  

The woman was widowed, but my first crush since I was 6 years old to Jr. High School.  She was my oldest and dearest friend.

The fellow was a guy I had hung around with all through Jr. high and High School.

The fellow I thought was my friend, told me he had a terminal disease.  I expressed my sympathies on his predicament.  The next thing he said was, "I wish it was you, not me".  He was so bitter but I didn't know why!

I kept my mouth shut.  I never knew where this came from, but I didn't shed a tear at his demise.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 4

When I was going through chemo,  I heard, a thousand times:

"You'll beat this!"

"You'll kick it's ass!"

"You're strong!"  "Fight! Fight! Fight!"...........

One night I was at the local bar (yeah. I was going out on my terms.  (i wasn't driving)), a good friend walked in and had no idea of my predicament.  Someone told him.  He stared at me, point blank, and said, "Wow!  You're gonna die!"

It was so unexpected and and such a refreshing change,  that I burst out laughing hysterically and almost choked to death.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Mrs.Cicero said:

People are fascinating animals. It's really hard to predict how they'll react to a given situation.

Hope y'all all get well soonest. :599c64b15e0f8_thumbsup:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I call it the make-believe syndrome. Many people believed the initial fearmongering by many politicians and the news but over time most realized that reality is a different story. Some even understand how it was used and abused for narratives, and in order to push agendas, ranging from manipulating voters through fake blame, all the way to testing how far a government can take control before a critical mass revolts.

That being said, the majority sticks to its guns, because accepting failure in general and giving up a believe that was engrained so deeply last year, takes a lot of emotional intelligence, and personal integrity. 2 features you will not find in the masses.

Confronting you with more fear in that email is their tool to unterpin their own failing card house.

You can see this same pattern in every corner of life. It's human nature to cope with conflict, in an unhealth way that is.

Just ignore it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Huaco Kid said:

One night I was at the local bar (yeah. I was going out on my terms.  (i wasn't driving)), a good friend walked in and had no idea of my predicament.  Someone told him.  He stared at me, point blank, and said, "Wow!  You're gonna die!"

It was so unexpected and and such a refreshing change,  that I burst out laughing hysterically and almost choked to death.

You...showed him.  :)

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Huaco Kid said:

It's not easy to do.  But sometimes a wildly and wrong thing to say is the perfect thing to say.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, NPTim said:

The more I’m around people, the more I appreciate animals.

Wait till you get to the point that even a barking dog annoys you lol

Last pets I had was some fish in my tank. At some point they started fighting and the one being chased jumped out of the tank. I saved him once but the next time I wasn't around. So yeah, **** that ****.

#GrumpyForLife

• Haha 3

Well, the followup to this is that she doubled down on the insanity, and I blocked her.  This was the third time she's been nasty in my threads,  and while I am sorry for the slew of awful things that have happened to her over the past decade, (none of which I had anything to do with causing, nor could I have prevented), I have come to the realization that 1) just because someone is a blood relative is no reason to tolerate behavior I wouldn't tolerate from a friend, and 2) pity is also not a good reason to tolerate behavior I wouldn't take from someone I wasn't sorry for.

I came to the sudden realization that she has added nothing positive to my life in the last 30 years, and in the last two she has contributed only irritation and stress, and I am better off without that.  Now, if I apply those standards to everyone else in my life... she is still the only person I have to remove.  So I guess I'm not the one with the problem.  Or at least, with that particular problem, of being a doormat to rude, crazy people.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

6 minutes ago, crockett said:

Last pets I had was some fish in my tank. At some point they started fighting and the one being chased jumped out of the tank. I saved him once but the next time I wasn't around. So yeah, **** that ****.

#GrumpyForLife

What about Elvis the alligator?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, crockett said:

#GrumpyForLife

I have reached that point.  When the dogs we have croak, there will be no more dogs.  When the cats we have die, there will be no more cats.  And when the rabbits, chickens, ducks, and guineas irritate me beyond toleration, I will eat every last one.  And when the kids leave home, I'm selling their furniture and turning their rooms into sewing rooms and gun rooms all for me!

• Like 7

19 minutes ago, Mrs.Cicero said:

I have reached that point.  When the dogs we have croak, there will be no more dogs.  When the cats we have die, there will be no more cats.  And when the rabbits, chickens, ducks, and guineas irritate me beyond toleration, I will eat every last one.  And when the kids leave home, I'm selling their furniture and turning their rooms into sewing rooms and gun rooms all for me!

Kinda glad she said, "When the Kids leave home...."

Everything else she planned to eat!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

59 minutes ago, Mrs.Cicero said:

Well, the followup to this is that she doubled down on the insanity, and I blocked her.  This was the third time she's been nasty in my threads,  and while I am sorry for the slew of awful things that have happened to her over the past decade, (none of which I had anything to do with causing, nor could I have prevented), I have come to the realization that 1) just because someone is a blood relative is no reason to tolerate behavior I wouldn't tolerate from a friend, and 2) pity is also not a good reason to tolerate behavior I wouldn't take from someone I wasn't sorry for.

I came to the sudden realization that she has added nothing positive to my life in the last 30 years, and in the last two she has contributed only irritation and stress, and I am better off without that.  Now, if I apply those standards to everyone else in my life... she is still the only person I have to remove.  So I guess I'm not the one with the problem.  Or at least, with that particular problem, of being a doormat to rude, crazy people.

Staying in contact with people like that turns you into an enabler. You not only become part of the problem, you feed it.

Life is too short and precious.

Edited by crockett
  • Like 3

58 minutes ago, Mrs.Cicero said:

I LOVE being by myself. There's never a dull moment and I have plenty of projects and hobbies lined up.

Granted, you need to be a certain personality type that gains energy from being alone, unlike extroverts that need others as a source of motivation.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, crockett said:

Staying in contact with people like that turns you into an enabler. You not only become part of the problem, you feed it.

Life is too short and precious.

I hadn't thought of it that way but yeah, tolerating rotten behavior just means it will continue.  There's no motivation for them to treat anyone any better if they just keep getting away with the nastiness with no consequences.  And in any case, I won't be any sort of contributing factor anymore.  Yea, me!

• Like 3

4 hours ago, crockett said:

#GrumpyForLife

I don't wanna spend the rest of my life appeasing other species. Orion bitches aren't here either.

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, Mrs.Cicero said:

I hadn't thought of it that way but yeah, tolerating rotten behavior just means it will continue.  There's no motivation for them to treat anyone any better if they just keep getting away with the nastiness with no consequences.  And in any case, I won't be any sort of contributing factor anymore.  Yea, me!

You are one of my favorite posters. You keep level headed and don't deserve to be treated like that. Keep up the good fight and I hope everyone in your family gets thru this situation unscathed. tom.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1