6 hr power outage last night

1 hour ago, Walt Longmire said:

I know people in the lower 48 that haven't experienced a power outage in 20-30 years. They are  a regular occurrence here.

The swilling vortex of death often hits my region of the South East....power outages over 4 days only concern us.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Historian said:

The swilling vortex of death often hits my region of the South East....power outages over 4 days only concern us.

same here ,  we get power knocked out  alot this time of year with storms  and some tornadoes   atleast 5 times a year .  im getting a home generator run on natural gas here soon , so power will not go off  .   hurricane season  is bad as well . nothing like 100  degrees   70 percent humidity and no power .   we run a portable one last 2 years   .  

back in 96  i think it was fran or floyd  hit us hard we had no power for over 2 weeks . and was terrible . 

i  adapt  but  it still sucks  .   

Edited by ASH
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, ASH said:

same here ,  we get power knocked out  alot this time of year with storms  and some tornadoes   atleast 5 times a year .  im getting a home generator run on natural gas here soon , so power will not go off  .   hurricane season  is bad as well . nothing like 100 back in 96 i think  70 percent humidity and no power .   we run a portable one last 2 years   .  

back in 96  i think it was fran or floyd  hit us hard we had no power for over 2 weeks . and was terrible . 

When we purchased our home i made it a point to purchase on one of the main power lines in the region.  As a result our power never goes out...and if it did...it would be among the first to be returned to service.

That being said a generator on natural gas is a GREAT idea.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Walt Longmire said:

I know people in the lower 48 that haven't experienced a power outage in 20-30 years. They are  a regular occurrence here.

Had about a two hour one a few nights ago. Low grade tornado went through about a mile east of me.

Probably have one or two per year.  

• Like 2

Some years ago a friend of mine worked for a company that was changing out all their UPS's to another brand.   He gave me a couple of units in the 1500 to 1800 VA range.  these were very good units with power conditioning and multiple outlets.

I put one on the computer.  I have one room with a TV wall mounted, that also faces a window to the street in front of the house.  Eventually we had a power outage.  So for a long time I sat in that room while the rest of the block was out of power, watching TV.  I often do things that drive my neighbors nuts, just because I can.

I was able to do this a couple of times before the battery died and then the unit later failed.   I had lots of fun for free.

• Like 2

we are so supposed to get rare snow tomorrow , saying bout 5 inches . contrary to beliefs most people in nc dont panic and buy bread and milk .   ive been all day patching plastic at one of my greenhouses where it seems a raccoon  wanted to play and eat maters.   so i got the heaters on ,fuel filled , back up filled . so good to go . 

2 hours ago, ASH said:

we are so supposed to get rare snow tomorrow , saying bout 5 inches . contrary to beliefs most people in nc dont panic and buy bread and milk .   ive been all day patching plastic at one of my greenhouses where it seems a raccoon  wanted to play and eat maters.   so i got the heaters on ,fuel filled , back up filled . so good to go . 

We just got a foot. More coming. 

It goes out here regularly.  A couple years ago, nearby friends had theirs go out for 3 weeks after an ice storm (ours was back on in 2 days).  I don't worry about much, since the heat is propane, and the well pump (and everything else)will be taken care of when the new genny is delivered. We're getting a dual-fuel, so if it goes out for an annoyingly long period of time, we'll just hook it up to the 500 gallon propane tank in the yard...

Edited by Mrs.Cicero
typo

2 hours ago, Mrs.Cicero said:

It goes out here regularly.  A couple years ago, nearby friends had theirs go out for 3 weeks after an ice storm (ours was back on in 2 days).  I don't worry about much, since the heat is propane, and the well pump (and everything else)will be taken care of when the new genny is delivered. We're getting a dual-fuel, so if it goes out for an annoyingly long period of time, we'll just hook it up to the 500 gallon propane tank in the yard...

Are you in a co-op?  I'm on GLE and it's rare to go out, only a real nasty weather event does it. I'm in a heavily wooded area and the lines run for many miles from the substation.

My generator is a big portable, dual fuel but I only run it on propane (1,000 gal. tank).  The propane is dedicated to the generator, takes me five minutes to hook up. Eventually I'll use the gas for heat and hot water, but firewood has been doing the the job for the last 45 years. I have the propane plumbed into the house and capped at this point. The propane capacity is, at this point, a shield against a major disaster/hacking/sabotage that could disrupt power for a long time.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, OGW said:

Are you in a co-op?  I'm on GLE and it's rare to go out, only a real nasty weather event does it. I'm in a heavily wooded area and the lines run for many miles from the substation.

My generator is a big portable, dual fuel but I only run it on propane (1,000 gal. tank).  The propane is dedicated to the generator, takes me five minutes to hook up. Eventually I'll use the gas for heat and hot water, but firewood has been doing the the job for the last 45 years. I have the propane plumbed into the house and capped at this point. The propane capacity is, at this point, a shield against a major disaster/hacking/sabotage that could disrupt power for a long time.

No co-op.  Electric is from Consumers, and a main line runs thru the next farm north of ours... which is why even when we get ice storms that take out power in parts of the county for weeks... ours has always been back in 3 days or less. (I say that, and now I've probably jinxed it).  There are short outages fairly often, (just because of winds taking out trees that take out lines) but they fix those in a few hours, usually.  Our propane tank is dedicated to the house.  We're going to run a line to the genny "just in case" - but unless we get an outage that lasts more than 3 days, we'll run the genny on gasoline.  We had a wood cookstove for heat in the old house, and I miss cooking on it, so if we ever get around to putting an addition on the back of this house, the stove will go there again, but for now it's all propane... better than electricity in a minor SHTF, but not great for TEOTWAWKI.

• Like 1