cruising in the 80ties

ASH

last friday night i had to stop by advance auto  which is in long strip type stores , upon leaving i stopped and she said what's wrong ,  i said nothing  i just sat there and said right there was the main drag strip you drive down thru  go on down turn into bowling alley  parking lot and loop around and head back , i said its friday night there used to be cars lined up to the curb  side by side for a almost a mile .  people hanging out ,  bsing  lining up races to happen later down on the lane where the races were .  now im 51 and old lol.

i told my kids you  missed out on alot of living before facebook, social media  and all that online crap , now apparently people have watch parties online and chat about it . 

i  just right down to the gut miss it .      my girls still do not understand cruising  etc   they are like " you drive down here  turn around and drive back 100 times ? why lol .  

the local drive in where you pile in 8 people in trunk and pay per vehicle .  our one buddy had old dodge polara  that we could get like 11 people in lol . 

local drive in  eatery ,    and arcades . we had one arcade everyone hung out  played pool , games ans the payphone on wall was the party line , the only time the phone would ring is 

someone giving the word so and so is having a party  then everyone bails for the party . 

man now i feel like watching some dazed and confused .        i sat there like 5 more minutes  and my cell phone rung  and it was grand kid Piper  asking could she spend the night with grammie and me  and watch paw patrol  lol.  then i put the suv in  drive and headed home lol .  

• Like 4

The 80s? I did the "drag Main" routine in 69 - 74 and it was all but over by then. Guys would soup-up all kinds of weird contraptions and create suicide machines. Just something to do. I knew one guy who had a 69 Camaro with a 327 that was unreal - in a straight line. My neighbor had a 72(?) GTO with a 455 HD that you could literally watch the gas gauge move when he stepped on it. And this was all very tame compared to previous eras when giants walked the Earth. Great times. ;)

• Like 4

they cruised here in the 70ties  also  same drag but i was just a lil fellow ,  mom would drive to the A&P  grocery shopping in same strip  , and i remember her holding my hand 

waiting for a chance to dart thru the vehicles moving to get in the store .       

i never asked her why she went on friday nights  i know she was pissed alot on those nights lol

• Like 3

funny back then people were in public drinking , riding drinking  , you only seen a cop car every 4 hours  maybe .  i had 2 buds that had vans  they would

cruise with sliding side door open , and people hanging out ,hollering  etc  . knew a dude had big ass caddy ,cut roof off with a saw , he would fill 

the whole car with hay and give hay rides lol.   we just on the hoods  talking and having good ole times.  watching cars  then we would cruise and 

back and forth 

• Like 2

In St. Louis, we had Hall Street for drag racing.

It was a fairly long, wide avenue in an industrisal area, so it was pretty much empty at night.

Lads with loud, fast cars filled it up on Friday and Saturday nights and then it was off to Steak n' Shake where to cool kids showed off their cars by parking for curb service.

I had neither a loud, fast car or a cool car, nor friends that did.

:sigh:

:biggrin:

NB this was in the `1960s, back before dirt was invented.

There was also a drive in theater, the Olympic, that showed X-rated movies.

Going to the Olympic with buddies, a case of beer and packages of Swisher Sweet cigars at 16 or 17 was a rite of passage.

We were all worried that they wouldn't let us in, but they couldn't care less how old we were, just that we had the price of admission.

Edited by tous
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

People still cruise its just done in a different way and places now.

Cars and Coffee

fun runs

caffeine and Chrome

its just different now,mostly because its been pushed out of view and the cars have changed.

not that long ago i`d hang out on University Ave in Mpls at Porky`s.

then it moved out to Lake Calhoun

its there,just different.

and the cars are way,way faster now and way,way more expensive.

when i was younger i used to cruise Broadway starting at dusk and at 9 PM the fast cars ended up at Mike`s Donuts and put together Drags at the Airport,then Roast Beef sandwiches and Beer and partying,,,

• Like 3

Cars faster is right lol. In 87 I bought brand new gn and it was fastest production car with 245 hp. Then the Corvette boys at gm couldn't have a Buick outrunning them so so gm killed the gn platform. I recently read where gm is bringing back the grand national name along with t type. The history is cool to read  I had old lady t bone me and totalled it iwas just sick. I'm buying another gn in a week with 62000 miles. I will post pics when I get it home. All stock. 

• Like 3

1973 Charger

Bronze with black top

T shifter, jacked up big time, lowered the front end, 8 track, backseat full of speakers

that car had no weight in the rear at all. Burnouts all day

my brother borrowed it one day, stopped at a red light on Main St...two girls jumped in.

I heard that story for years

good times

Edited by Dric902
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, ASH said:

they cruised here in the 70ties  also  same drag but i was just a lil fellow ,  mom would drive to the A&P  grocery shopping in same strip  , and i remember her holding my hand

Our Main Drag also had an A&P parking lot "anchor" at one end.

• Like 1

Cruising Riverside in Spokane, late 70's. Four lanes packed all the way through downtown. Muscle cars galore. Plenty of cops there, but for the most part there were no problems, kept all the kids in one spot and they could be supervised. Great times.

• Like 2

Commerce Street in Longview, Wa. in the 60's. Cars lined up door to door. 2 lanes each way with parallel parking on each side. Cruise from the A&W at one end to Captain Yobi's at the other end. It was much like American Graffiti. 

Around here we used to have tons of snow machines running around at all hours during the winter and atv's in the summer. Don't see so much of that now. Everyone is too busy playing with their phones.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, ASH said:

waiting for a chance to dart thru the vehicles moving to get in the store .       

i never asked her why she went on friday nights  i know she was pissed alot on those nights lol

When I was young Friday nights was when the stores were open to allow the working people to shop without claiming their weekend of rest.  So most people shopped on Friday night. 

• Like 1

When I was in high school in the mid 70's the local cruise was down Springs Road to the local Hardee's, an old fashioned one with a lot of picnic tables out front.  Every table crowded with high school kids, parking lot full of cars, with more cars constantly driving through the parking lot.   I had a 1969 Chevy Nova 350SS.  Wish I still had it.  I miss those days.

• Like 3

It is nice to hear that you lads enjoyed life as a teenager as much as I did.

We pretty much did the same things, even if 20 years apart.

I can only wish such happiness on this and the next generations, doing the stuff that we did, enjoying our buddies and the simple pleasures.

First, amputate the damned device from your hand.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Bristol TN-VA in the 1950s...

Originally the state line (in State Street natch) ran along the curb on the Virginia side. Tennessee gave Bristol VA enough of the street to put the state line in the center.

The towns grew and eventually annexed another mile or so along State Street on the western side of town. In the part which was annexed the state line still ran along the curb on the Virginia side.

Some wise acres started drag racing on State Street west beginning where the annexation started. Virginia cops said they couldn’t do anything as that was in Tennessee. Tennessee cops said they couldn’t respond because it was in Virginia.

Soon Tennessee gave Virginia that part of State Street which they thought had been annexed. Meantime the two cities/counties involved made police from one town unpaid deputy sheriffs on the other side of the line.

Peace and quiet returned... or at least settled back to normal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2