stupid things that creep you out

ASH

7 hours ago, Walt Longmire said:

Being out in the bush and getting that creepy feeling like you're being hunted. The hair on your head stands up, and your eyes start scanning everything. High alert, and gtf outa there.

Now THAT might creep me out..."safety off"...

• Like 2

Water over my head. I found out not too long ago that when I was still in diapers, I fell off a walkway from a houseboat into the Columbia River. The current was sweeping me away under water. My grandma dove in and spotted my by my white diaper and recovered me. My dad said he didn't even know my grandma could swim as he had never known her to, but she grew up on a lake in Wisconsin and was actually a very good swimmer.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Walt Longmire said:

Water over my head. I found out not too long ago that when I was still in diapers, I fell off a walkway from a houseboat into the Columbia River. The current was sweeping me away under water. My grandma dove in and spotted my by my white diaper and recovered me. My dad said he didn't even know my grandma could swim as he had never known her to, but she grew up on a lake in Wisconsin and was actually a very good swimmer.

Minnesota has many lakes.  I lived in a well known Granite producing region, so there were untold numbers of spring fed abandoned quarries where all the kids would go to swim. No shallow areas, just a vertical drop into water up to 90 feet deep.

I never knew any kid in my home town that couldn't swim.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hook said:

Chicken skin. Heights freak the living hell out me. I mean I have to have my feet on the ground if they show something on tv like parachuting or the view out of an airplane window. 

As a jumper since the late 80s, small Earth can do you no harm.  Fast big Earth can hurt you.  It's those last few feet that matter.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Walt Longmire said:

Being out in the bush and getting that creepy feeling like you're being hunted. The hair on your head stands up, and your eyes start scanning everything. High alert, and gtf outa there.

Been hunting in a snowstorm and cut fresh lion tracks, like right now fresh. Scanned the hell out of the trees and hillside it had gone up and vamoosed. My .270 was of small comfort.

• Like 3

Heights never used to bother me until a friend died in a small plane crash. Now, those internet pictures with people on top of a tall tower or looking off a cliff etc make my balls shrivel up.

Edited by Lazy R
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Lazy R said:

Heights never used to bother me until a friend died in a small plane crash. Now, those internet pictures with people on top of a tall tower or looking off a cliff etc make my balls shrivel up.

I fear heights. I use to fly small planes. That didn't bother me, but you'll never get me on a ladder. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, geeorge said:

Stun gun would be more fun

There used to be a morning-radio team called 'Opie and Anthony'.  They were great.  They frequently got kicked off broadcast radio.

They had a call-in segment called, "Wake up your girlfriend with a stun gun." 

It was only radio, so you couldn't really tell, but still,  from the audio alone, I'm pretty sure it was real.  Hilarity ensured.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, geeorge said:

Men in sandals. Mandals is the current term for them. And men who shave their heads and have long nasty beards, especially neck beards. Face pearcings on anybody

Men have beards.  Women and children don't.

My icon is fairly representative of how I really look! :crylikelv:

Edited by Cali-Glock
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Lazy R said:

Been hunting in a snowstorm and cut fresh lion tracks, like right now fresh. Scanned the hell out of the trees and hillside it had gone up and vamoosed. My .270 was of small comfort.

Left my cabin on the wheeler in a rain storm. Pulled off the trail to check my brothers place. Took all of a minute. Ride back out to the muddy trail and my wheeler tracks have brown bear tracks on top of them.....going back the way I need to go. I follow slowly knowing how quiet a wheeler is from the front especially in the rain. Get to the trail that leads to the beach that I must take, and that s.o.b. had gone that way also. It's a choked up brushy trail. I fully expected to ride right up behind it. Had my .45-70 across my back on the sling. I yarded the .454 out of it's holster and rode one handed with the pistol at the ready in my left hand. Throttle is on the right. Bear left the trail right before the beach.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Administrators
5 minutes ago, Valmet said:

Not sure if it qualifies as a stupid thing, but I’m really not a fan of deep water. 

My dad and I were on a deep East Texas lake when I was twelve. We were boating, but I was out of the boat swimmimg around, at the time. I asked him, probably a little nervously, how deep the lake was. He said, "What does it matter? You are on the surface." It was an obvious observation, but it reassured me.

• Haha 3

13 minutes ago, Valmet said:

Not sure if it qualifies as a stupid thing, but I’m really not a fan of deep water. 

Once, long ago, I decided to swim across Lake MacDonald in Glacier Park. The water was crystal clear (and so cold, even in August, it shriveled my pod). I could see for what seemed to be 200 fathoms down. About halfway across I got this uncanny image of how I would look to a 30 foot brown trout slumbering below (I'd seen Jaws a few years before). Having passed the point of no return, I continued to the opposite shore, but it unnerved me. I walked back.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1