Random Posting

Eric

On 8/6/2019 at 11:40 PM, janice6 said:

We should celebrate the fact the while the Japanese and the Germans were furiously building their Atomic bombs, we simply beat them to the punch.

There is no reason to feel remorse or question the event.  If we didn't develop it and drop it, we would have seen it used on us.

The Japanese often said that our use of the Atomic bomb was inhumane.  I wonder how they would have described their dropping of their Atomic bomb on us!

Everything I've read indicates the Axis A-bomb projects were unlikely to produce anything workable, but I agree they wouldn't hesitate to use them if they had 'em. If anything, the fact they didn't use them is best evidence of their not having them. I have read that the Germans sent uranium to Japan in 1945.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, gwalchmai said:

Everything I've read indicates the Axis A-bomb projects were unlikely to produce anything workable, but I agree they wouldn't hesitate to use them if they had 'em. If anything, the fact they didn't use them is best evidence of their not having them. I have read that the Germans sent uranium to Japan in 1945.

We caused as much damage as we could to the German Heavy Water Production facilities and   caused them considerable problems in development.  They had every intention of using the A bomb as soon as they could.  They had intent.  There was no way we could assume that they couldn't make it ready in time to drop on us.

The Japanese were slow to develop the necessary hardware and gather the necessary components and  fissionable supplies, they may even have been slow enough to preclude them from being effective by the time the U dropped it on them.  But as the Germans, they fully intended to use it on us.  They believed that with the threat to the home island that it would be all or nothing.  They intended to give no quarter.  Our vast economy/wealth allowed us to be the first.

The reason the USA had the bomb first was the massive manufacturing and production capability along with the finances to bring incredible resources to bear on this problem.  Oak Ridge, TN was chosen for the location to do the actual development simply because of the phenomenal electrical capability of the TVA.

At one point, damn near the total Silver resources of the U.S. Mint were used to supply highly conductive wire for the testing and development program.  It was a Frightening national secret to our government, since they feared that if the public knew that almost all our Silver reserves that backed our money were found to be not in the Mint, our economy would collapse.  They put it all back with only a slight loss before it was known what it had been used for.

We had damn near infinite resources compared to Japan and Germany.  Our economy won the war for us.  In war, every attempt the enemy makes in producing weapons of mass destruction has to be taken seriously, in case they might succeed.  We never underestimated our WWII enemies.

Edited by janice6
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, gwalchmai said:

The real reason they didn't use them was that they were not ready yet.  History shows that they had all the intentions of using them WHEN they were ready.

Even when we made the German's development of the A bomb impossible, they still tried to get fissionable materials to the Japanese to use for their A bomb development.

To say that they "didn't have them", implies that they weren't in development, is not correct, they simply didn't have them ready yet but they were intently working on producing them.

This was a gamble in time that the USA won.  We could just as easily lost.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Dric902 said:

1756CE0B-E60F-43CE-805B-6CE89A08740A.jpeg.7f03ff9dc7931ba8396643a4095bc6a7.jpeg

Napalm....lots of Napalm

No step on snek!

-Pat

Whoops! Double tap.  I hate it when the tablet display doesn't update so it looks like the post didn't go through.  Ugh!!

Edited by Cubdriver
Double post
  • Haha 2

24 minutes ago, janice6 said:

Too close to the possibility of it being true.

The tech giants control the information and with that, the potential for punishment for wrong thinking.

I just can't get it through my head why anyone would pay good money for a refrigerator with that sort of feature.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, janice6 said:

The real reason they didn't use them was that they were not ready yet.  History shows that they had all the intentions of using them WHEN they were ready.

Even when we made the German's development of the A bomb impossible, they still tried to get fissionable materials to the Japanese to use for their A bomb development.

To say that they "didn't have them", implies that they weren't in development, is not correct, they simply didn't have them ready yet but they were intently working on producing them.

This was a gamble in time that the USA won.  We could just as easily lost.

I think you may be misinterpreting my point, so let me be clear. Whether the Axis had the Bomb and were too nice to use it, were working on it but couldn't deploy it in time, or never had a viable Bomb program, my opinion is that the US was right to use our Bombs to hasten the end of the war. Obliterating two Japanese cities, while tragic (as war is), probably saved many more lives than were lost.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Administrators

This is a clever bike. The engine is a VW inline 4 car engine with a transverse-mount transaxle, mounted into the bike longitudinally and backwards. It is a slick setup.

0cJrD.jpg.b63dbfa97f13921a25e12f0d2f5f36aa.jpg

te68Q.jpg.5f967353b4e14db23d8fcfa3216aa7a1.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Eric said:

This is a clever bike. The engine is a VW inline 4 car engine with a transverse-mount transaxle, mounted into the bike longitudinally and backwards. It is a slick setup.

You could tell the guy who owned it by the wicked burn scars on his leg.

(I knew a kid in high school that had a 'vette with sidepipes.  You could tell all the girls he had cruised with because they all had burn scars on their right ankles.)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• Administrators
5 minutes ago, Huaco Kid said:

You could tell the guy who owned it by the wicked burn scars on his leg.

(I knew a kid in high school that had a 'vette with sidepipes.  You could tell all the girls he had cruised with because they all had burn scars on their right ankles.)

Yeah, I was wondering why he didn't mount heat shields, or wrap the pipes. I'm guessing he doesn't take a lot of long rides on that.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, janice6 said:

Too close to the possibility of it being true.

The tech giants control the information and with that, the potential for punishment for wrong thinking.

China has already take a huge step over the line,  with their "social expectation" monitoring and consequences.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Eric changed the title to BookFace
  • Eric locked this topic
  • Eric pinned this topic
  • Eric unpinned and unlocked this topic