Random Posting

Eric

41 minutes ago, Eric said:

The beauty of this is, other than the great taste and texture, is that once you have Sous Vide’d the bacon, you stick it back in the frig and fry up as much as you want, when you want. The Sous Vide bacon will last a week in the frig, or months in the freezer. It takes less than three minutes to sear it, when you are ready to eat some bacon. 

So, how long did you cook it in the  Cooker?  The receipt I posted said "At least overnight, or up to 8 Days"!!! 

I LOVE BACON, but I'm ashamed to say most of the bacon we eat now days is pre-cooked from Costco.  Just nuke it for about 20 secs... It's not bad actually....I know, I know...

• Administrators
3 minutes ago, Swampfox762 said:

So, how long did you cook it in the  Cooker?  The receipt I posted said "At least overnight, or up to 8 Days"!!! 

I LOVE BACON, but I'm ashamed to say most of the bacon we eat now days is pre-cooked from Costco.  Just nuke it for about 20 secs... It's not bad actually....I know, I know...

I cooked it about sixteen hours. It's fire-and-forget though. Once you set it up, you go do your thing and let it do its thing.

1 minute ago, Eric said:

I cooked it about sixteen hours.

THAT's some LOVE of Bacon Right there.  Thanks for the New info.  Never ever heard of that.  I told my wife about it and she said, "Oh HELL NO!"  So, If I'm ever gonna try it, I'm gonna have to do it myself!

33 minutes ago, Paul53 said:

You wont be tested on this, but I find my imagination running wild on how the chief got his name!

Asked why the white people call him Iron Tail, he said that when he was a baby his mother saw a band of warriors chasing a herd of buffalo, in one of their periodic grand hunts, their tails standing upright as if shafts of steel, and she thereafter called his name Siŋté Máza as something new and novel.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Historian said:

A French Foreign Legion soldier catching up on sleep inside an armored personnel carrier during a mission to hunt down Islamic militants in northeastern Mali in February.

Just noticed that's not a FAMAS...from what i understand...they moved to an HK in .223.

I understand the FAMAS was a PIG to clean.  But an interesting in house design.

Always wanted one but the 300 in the US are now selling for stupid money.

France also made an exceptionally nice .357 magnum for a while.   The GIGN used them.

Edited by Historian
  • Like 1

• Administrators
14 minutes ago, Historian said:

Just noticed that's not a FAMAS...from what i understand...they moved to an HK in .223.

I understand the FAMAS was a PIG to clean.  But an interesting in house design.

Always wanted one but the 300 in the US are now selling for stupid money.

I’ve been around automotive restoration and mechanic work all my life. When I joined the Army and discovered the joys of cleaning firearms for inspections, I knew just what to do. What do you buy if you want to clean oils and carbon off of something quickly and leave no residue? You buy a can of spray brake parts cleaner.

When we came out of the field, cleaning our personal weapons and getting them past inspection so we could turn them in was normally a multi-hour ordeal. With a can of brake cleaner, I could have an M-14 or M-16 ready in under twenty minutes and could get an M-60 done in less than an hour. 

I kept my cleaning methods to myself as long as I could. I knew that when others caught on, having dozens of guys wielding cans of brake cleaner would make a mess and would probably get the practice outlawed. It did make a mess and it very nearly did get outlawed. We were able to convince our chain of command though to let us set up some galvanized trash cans on a landing outside our building’s basement entrance. Guys would wait their turns to hold their weapons over the cans to spray them down with the brake cleaner and then the cans would be kept out overnight for the cleaner to evaporate.

The only people this pissed off were the company HQ platoon troops who lived in the basement. They weren’t allowed to smoke inside and after our cleaning station got set up, that area was declared a no-smoking zone. No one ever cried too much about upset HQ REMFs though. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Eric said:

I’ve been around automotive restoration and mechanic work all my life. When I joined the Army and discovered the joys of cleaning firearms for inspections, I knew just what to do. What do you buy if you want to clean oils and carbon off of something quickly and leave no residue? You buy a can of spray brake parts cleaner.

You could have had an endless supply of beer with that trick.  :)  Saved a lot of time and effort.

I used to do the same with my gear at the police academy (nothing like the movies).   Back then it was mostly 870s, 500s, and whatever pistol you had approved.  Rifle training wasn't that big a deal back in 1998.  So it was a mix of whatever your department issued you or you had approved.  We did some sharing among the cadets.   I used a 1943 M1 Carbine.  Loved that little rifle.  You could corner real nice and clear a building nicely with it.  It was a different world back then.

And smoking is bad for you anyway.  The HQ guys should have stopped.

• Like 2

We got a parts cleaner with some type cleaner that removed carbon and cleaned the weapons exceptionally well. 

Had to dry them out and that took time until we got a pressurized air hose.

Never lube the gas piston or tube on a M-60 MG (pig) if you want it to run properly!

• Like 1

20 hours ago, tadbart said:

Hey man! Welcome! Please do stick around. Always nice to have the input and perspective of people from foreign countries, lol! I kid. Best friend moved to ANC from Florida after doing a year of contract work up there. I visit every chance I get.

Thanks Tadbart. I kinda like this place so will probably hang around. Dude you dont know how many times ive been asked is AK in America. I read your thread about the china virus and am glad too see your doing good. Come on back when you get the chance us Alaskans like good folk. But you will have too take about a dozen dipshits back with you. Time difference for me kinda sucks. By the time i get home and eat and log in most have gone to bed. But i will keep checking in with you guys.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Eric changed the title to BookFace
  • Eric locked this topic
  • Eric pinned this topic
  • Eric unpinned and unlocked this topic