Saving the Spotted Owl

A federal government plan for hunters to kill thousands of invasive owls to protect the rapidly declining northern spotted owl has ruffled the feathers of dozens of animal advocacy groups.

On Monday, a coalition of 75 animal rights and wildlife protection organizations sent a letter to U.S. Interior Secretary Deb Haaland asking her to scrap what they describe as a "reckless plan" to wipe out half a million barred owls in West Coast states over the next three decades.

The letter, spearheaded by the Animal Wellness Action group and the Center for a Humane Economy, lambastes the plan for being unworkable and short-sighted, arguing that it will lead to the wrong owls being shot and disruption to nesting behavior.

• Like 1

Ha-Ha...had this guy hanging around last summer.  It's a Barred Owl and not very skittish.  Saw him a lot and thought it was pretty cool.  Chipmunks and squirrels probably not overjoyed.

20230619_154920.jpg

• Like 5

2 hours ago, MO Fugga said:

Owls are awesome, hate to see them killed off, but invasive species must be controlled. 

53 minutes ago, jmohme said:

I feel that way about some people.

I put a lot more value on the owl. Barred owls are not invasive, but may well be encroaching on new areas. Probably thanks to human interference.

Letting the .gov regulate much of anything is a disaster.

• Like 9

1 minute ago, LostinTexas said:

I put a lot more value on the owl. 

Letting the .gov regulate much of anything is a disaster.

The government was one of the main invasive species that I was refering to.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

So, this is going to be like the hippie environmentalists re-populating land that bears and wolves never populated, but have cattle ranches aplenty.

Easy dinner on the hoof for predators and of course, 25 years to life in prison if a rancher shoots a wolf or a bear munching on their cowsies.

Yeah, this will work out well.

And it will have a permanent 500 million dollar budget to begin, 20% increase every fiscal years because government programs never expire.

Be easier and cheaper to buy the danged wolves and bears steak dinners three times per day and have money left over to fund improvements to Nancy Pelosi's wall around her castle.

:upeyes:

I'm not cynical at all. :biggrin:

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

21 minutes ago, Eric said:

Why don't they just shoot the invading owls with some paintballs, so that they have spots as well? Problem solved.

Are you sure that you want to teach owls to play paintball?

Next thing we know, they'll want machine guns.

And tanks.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

• Administrators
8 minutes ago, tous said:

Are you sure that you want to teach owls to play paintball?

Next thing we know, they'll want machine guns.

And tanks.

We will arm the chickens with choppers, to counter the armored owls.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Our DNR thinks they know about how all natural species relate and propagate, so they mess with various lake and ruin what was once a hatchery for specific fish and wild life.  Then when they screw it up so bad that the public abandons the lake or property, they blame natural causes and run to the next ruination on their list.

Sometimes the best way to deal with nature, is leave it alone and let it solve its own problems, in its own way.  It's called natural selection.

There are always people in government that believe they are so smart that they can control nature.  That's when nature bites you in the ass!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

3 minutes ago, janice6 said:

people in government that believe they are so smart

We aren’t talking about those who removed some fill and let toxic water from an inactive mine run into a river in Colorado… are we?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, MO Fugga said:

Owls are awesome, hate to see them killed off, but invasive species must be controlled. 

Terms such as "invasive species" and "indigenous people" arbitrarily apply a snapshot of an environment and declare it the "natural state forever and ever, amen". Horses were once indigenous to the Americas, then not, and later they became invasive. Now they're probably indigenous again. It's a dynamic, multivariate world out there and Mother Jones has no insight into its workings. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Batesmotel said:

What could possibly go wrong?????

Look how well the government managed the Kudzu and Fire Ant situation.

We got some rain and the fire ants got to building. Yesterday I did my trick of scooping up a mound in a shovel and dropping it on a mound at the other end of the pasture. Turns out ants are not DEI fans, either. :supergrin:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, gwalchmai said:

Terms such as "invasive species" and "indigenous people" arbitrarily apply a snapshot of an environment and declare it the "natural state forever and ever, amen". Horses were once indigenous to the Americas, then not, and later they became invasive. Now they're probably indigenous again. It's a dynamic, multivariate world out there and Mother Jones has no insight into its workings. 

Excellent point. We need our lions and camels back!

• Like 3