Best Cheap Knife I've Come Across

I like expensive knives as well as cheap knives for the simple fact I've lost more than a few over the years. For a long time I carried a Cold Steel Voyager in one variant or another. I still own several Cold Steel knives and the SRK is one of my favorite fixed blade and I must have at least four of them. I also own several Spyderco and they are very nice as well. My usual hunting knife is a Buck 110 made in the 80's.

I heard about these Ganzo last year and finally got around to ordering one. Clearly they are a Spyderco knock off and I wasn't sure what to expect. I was quite surprised how nice it is. Several of the Voyagers I've owned had a partial serrated blade, great for cutting a seat belt or other tough material. These are cheap enough that when it gets dull I will just throw it out or give it away.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BTHSVHRV?ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details&th=1

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• Administrators

I've been considering getting a Spyderco Vallotton. It is a great looking, well-built knife. There is a company in Oklahoma that will take a customer's Vallotton and modify it to be a manual/auto knife. It will still open manually as before, or you can push on the edge of one of the sub-hilt grip panels and open it automatically. My nephew has one of them. It is a slick setup.

SP149GP_1.jpg

• Like 2

• Administrators
16 minutes ago, DWARREN123 said:

I like cheaper knives. If I have to leave one struck in someone I am not out that much!

When I lived in Houston back in the nineties, the local cable network had a channel that rebroadcast the translated evening news report from a network in Moscow. One night, there was a story about a Muscovite  that had been stabbed in the abdomen during a mugging twenty-five years earlier. He was treated at a local hospital and got on with his life. Twenty-five years later, he went back to that same hospital complaining of abdominal pain. He was x-rayed and the x-ray revealed that the guy had a knife blade still in him from the mugging years ago. The blade had broken off in him. The doctors had sewed him up and sent him on his way and never explored or imaged the wound. Over the years, scar tissue had mostly cocooned the blade, which helped to protect his organs. Even still, it is a minor miracle that the blade rode around in him so long without puncturing something or otherwise doing him serious harm. I guess that cheap Soviet-era knives didn't do their job any better than anything else the commies produced.

"What’s as big as a house, burns 20 liters of fuel every hour, puts out a ****-load of smoke and noise, and cuts an apple into three pieces? A Soviet machine made to cut apples into four pieces!" 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

43 minutes ago, Eric said:

"What’s as big as a house, burns 20 liters of fuel every hour, puts out a ****-load of smoke and noise, and cuts an apple into three pieces? A Soviet machine made to cut apples into four pieces!" 

🤣

• Haha 1

I thought this deal expired but looks like it's back.  The SRK is one of the best sub $100 fixed blade you can buy in my opinion.  We bought five of them, jump on it guys.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1025877994?pid=695540&utm_medium=shopping&utm_source=connexity&utm_campaign=DeepLinks&utm_content=DeepLink&utm_term=17099272149880112486416551151008005&cnxclid=17099272149880112486416551151008005  

2 hours ago, deputy tom said:

I used to like quality knives. Now I'm old and on fixed income so I went into cheaper knives. tom. :cowboy2:

With my age and health,  I've taken to pondering the "lifetime guarantee" statement. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

• Administrators
13 minutes ago, Huaco Kid said:

With my age and health,  I've taken to pondering the "lifetime guarantee" statement. 

On the other hand, a life sentence is a lot less of a deterrent than it used to be, if someone tempts you to put the knife to use.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Rinspeed said:

I thought this deal expired but looks like it's back.  The SRK is one of the best sub $100 fixed blade you can buy in my opinion.  We bought five of them, jump on it guys.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1025877994?pid=695540&utm_medium=shopping&utm_source=connexity&utm_campaign=DeepLinks&utm_content=DeepLink&utm_term=17099272149880112486416551151008005&cnxclid=17099272149880112486416551151008005  

You can get a black handle, instead of orange, for another $65.    :anim_rofl2:

• Administrators
33 minutes ago, ChuteTheMall said:

You can get a black handle, instead of orange, for another $65.    :anim_rofl2:

You can get a bottle of Rit black dye for ten bucks. :supergrin:

7 hours ago, Rinspeed said:

I like expensive knives as well as cheap knives for the simple fact I've lost more than a few over the years. For a long time I carried a Cold Steel Voyager in one variant or another. I still own several Cold Steel knives and the SRK is one of my favorite fixed blade and I must have at least four of them. I also own several Spyderco and they are very nice as well. My usual hunting knife is a Buck 110 made in the 80's.

I heard about these Ganzo last year and finally got around to ordering one. Clearly they are a Spyderco knock off and I wasn't sure what to expect. I was quite surprised how nice it is. Several of the Voyagers I've owned had a partial serrated blade, great for cutting a seat belt or other tough material. These are cheap enough that when it gets dull I will just throw it out or give it away.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BTHSVHRV?ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details&th=1

They may be a decent knife, but I have to ask, How many seatbelts have you cut with a pocket knife? All I can say is good luck. :popcorn1: Get a set of trauma shears.

For my cheap knife list, Morakniv are the beat $100 knife you can buy for about $10. I have them that travel to elk camp and live in a tackle box. Great little knives.

Folding, I'm old fashion, and still like Uncle Henry knives. Still better quality than most and 1/4 the price of a Case, that IMHO is worth every penny of it's price tag as well.

• Like 1

Any recommendations for an inexpensive pocket knife with a hard blade? Something that can be sharpened razor sharp.

My son uses one at work opening and cutting down boxes and the packing material. He dulls the blade of his Buck very fast.

He can have a pocket knife but not a box cutter of any sort. Stupid insurance regulations because of an injury years ago.

• Like 1

In other threads I’ve mentioned the Chinese made Kershaw marketed by Walmart. Started buying at $10. Few days ago bought the two in stock locally at $15. Pocket clip is only weakness I’ve noticed. That and TSA insisting I can’t board the airplane with one in my pocket. 

IMG_2585.jpeg

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Batesmotel said:

Any recommendations for an inexpensive pocket knife with a hard blade? Something that can be sharpened razor sharp.

My son uses one at work opening and cutting down boxes and the packing material. He dulls the blade of his Buck very fast.

He can have a pocket knife but not a box cutter of any sort. Stupid insurance regulations because of an injury years ago.

How does the company expect them to cut down boxes?  

Ganzo and SRM make good low priced knives.  Also check what's on sale at BladeHQ.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, El Spicoli said:

How does the company expect them to cut down boxes?

Pocket knives.

The company doesn’t like it. It’s the insurance company that demands it. The company thinks it’s stupid but it goes back to an injury someone had that hit the company and insurance company hard. Apparently the box cutter took the blame. Not the employee. No one talks about the details. He just knows he can’t get caught with a box cutter. Not an everyday thing just inconvenient when he gets a shipment and his knife is dull again. 

• Administrators
1 hour ago, Batesmotel said:

I have had a couple of Kizer knives and I've been happy with the quality. The one below has a wharnecliffe style blade, which is well suited for jobs like box cutting. It goes for $45. Most of Kizer's stuff sells for more (and sometimes quite a bit more) than this little knife, but I'd bet it is a good one, for the money.

V3508C1_1_600x.webp

https://www.kizerknives.com/collections/wharncliffe-pocket-knife/products/v3508c1

Any of you that saw the movie The Usual Suspects might be amused to hear that they make a Kizer Soze knife as well. :greensupergrin:

Kizer-Isham-Soze-Dagger-LL-CF-SW-Ki4513A2-BHQ-85170-jr.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Administrators

Actually, I have a Kizer pocket knife in the drawer right beside me. It is the Betleiter model, with the tanto blade and carbon fiber frame. I use this knife to open boxes all the time and I haven't had to sharpen it yet, in over a year. It's a great little knife.

IMG_5784.JPG

IMG_5785.JPG

• Like 2

2 hours ago, LostinTexas said:

They may be a decent knife, but I have to ask, How many seatbelts have you cut with a pocket knife? All I can say is good luck. :popcorn1: Get a set of trauma shears.

Lol, my wife has one of those glass breakers in her car.  Very much like your dumb suggestion of having "trauma shears" if you actually ever really need it you most certainly be **** out of luck.     

• Haha 1