Best Cheap Knife I've Come Across

1 hour ago, Batesmotel said:

Pocket knives.

The company doesn’t like it. It’s the insurance company that demands it. The company thinks it’s stupid but it goes back to an injury someone had that hit the company and insurance company hard. Apparently the box cutter took the blame. Not the employee. No one talks about the details. He just knows he can’t get caught with a box cutter. Not an everyday thing just inconvenient when he gets a shipment and his knife is dull again. 

In that case, I would expect the company to provide me with the necessary cutting tool to break down those boxes.  

1 hour ago, Rinspeed said:

Lol, my wife has one of those glass breakers in her car.  Very much like your dumb suggestion of having "trauma shears" if you actually ever really need it you most certainly be **** out of luck.     

LOL, maybe, but trauma shears will get it done. Interesting you think it so "dumb".

Yes, experience. Seatbelts are one of the toughest things I have ever cut,,,,,,,, all of them.

I really don't see one of those letter openers getting it done to tell the truth, but have never bothered trying. The glass breaker works very well though. I'll say that every great once in a while, things really surprise.

9 hours ago, LostinTexas said:

LOL, maybe, but trauma shears will get it done. Interesting you think it so "dumb".

Yes, experience. Seatbelts are one of the toughest things I have ever cut,,,,,,,, all of them.

I really don't see one of those letter openers getting it done to tell the truth, but have never bothered trying. The glass breaker works very well though. I'll say that every great once in a while, things really surprise.

I haven't cut anything real tough with this new knife yet but one of my Cold Steel Voyager with partial serrations would easily go through a seat belt like butter.

image.jpeg.9c890c2bf3475eceafade9d4fae4f15e.jpeg

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Eric said:

I've been considering getting a Spyderco Vallotton. It is a great looking, well-built knife. There is a company in Oklahoma that will take a customer's Vallotton and modify it to be a manual/auto knife. It will still open manually as before, or you can push on the edge of one of the sub-hilt grip panels and open it automatically. My nephew has one of them. It is a slick setup.

SP149GP_1.jpg

That is very sharp Eric, I also see they are $300.  I've been very happy with my Spyderco.  Here are my Seki City Delicas in AUS-6.  No idea what the little ones purpose in life is but it sure is cute.    

image.thumb.png.df3370d1a4eb9d9e00ff34e6806a51b1.png

If you're looking for a relatively inexpensive knife, check out Civivi.  Although a product of China, it's actually pretty decent.  I bought the Civivi Elementum as a cheap throw-away, and it definitely punches above it's price-point.  I slapped some titanium scales on it and haven't looked back since.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, minderasr said:

If you're looking for a relatively inexpensive knife, check out Civivi.  Although a product of China, it's actually pretty decent.  I bought the Civivi Elementum as a cheap throw-away, and it definitely punches above it's price-point.  I slapped some titanium scales on it and haven't looked back since.

I just looked and they now sell for $50. is that a throw-away?

https://www.amazon.com/CIVIVI-Knives-Elementum-Folding-Handles/dp/B07VK835TW

On 3/9/2024 at 10:15 AM, minderasr said:

They are heavily promoted on amazon right now.  Maybe I'll sniff around.

I need a lot more pockets and hands.

• Like 1

On 3/8/2024 at 9:18 PM, Batesmotel said:

Pocket knives.

The company doesn’t like it. It’s the insurance company that demands it. The company thinks it’s stupid but it goes back to an injury someone had that hit the company and insurance company hard. Apparently the box cutter took the blame. Not the employee. No one talks about the details. He just knows he can’t get caught with a box cutter. Not an everyday thing just inconvenient when he gets a shipment and his knife is dull again. 

Many places I work at require "one touch"  (i forget the words they use for them) boxcutters.

If you touch the tip to anything,  they lock themselves closed.  Have to undo the safety and reopen it to use it every time.

With a dull edge,  you have to redeploy 10 times.

On 3/9/2024 at 1:13 PM, ChuteTheMall said:

W.W.L.T.C.?

8in4ra.jpg

What would Lynn Thompson Carry?

Lol, I have one of the original AUS-8 El Hombre and don't think I've used it much at all.  It sat in my road box for years and I put it in the safe last year.  There are some fools asking big money for the original CS on Ebay.  Doubt many are selling but they keep listing them for $200-250.  I really miss the original Voyager with the plastic clip.  The clip would eventually break but they were much easier on your pocket than a metal clip.        

image.jpeg.65f785e301802b38e23f2f79bd686c96.jpeg

• Like 1

I remember when many street kids had long strings with the ceramic Grolsch beer-lid stopper tied to it, in their pockets.

A relaxed circle swing, with a solid whack of the stopper against car windows, had, pretty much, 100% results.

(we once tested it with strings and larger machine nuts at the salvage yard. About 100%.)

First thanks for the suggestion.

Second I found out what the issue was. Years ago someone was cutting cardboard and snapped a blade from a box cutter. The broken blade stayed in the cardboard and was tossed in a pile. Someone else got cut bad. Like cut tendons. So the compromise to keep insurance was pocket knives only. This is not a shipping and receiving situation. Small technical company where employees might 1-3 items a week from customers to be calibrated. 

• Like 1