F***ing Criminals!

Eric

• Administrators

I just got an alert from my bank that a $12 charge had been declined because the wrong CVV code had been entered, so I locked my card and called my bank. They had very little info on the attempted charge, except for a cryptic name and a phone number. The phone number is for an online company that fashions themselves 'A meticulously curated next-generation fashion retailer for Millennial and Generation Z consumers.' I'm guessing some scumbag at a restaurant or shop I visited scanned my card when I paid and tried to buy some of that next-generation fashion on my dime. If the small charge had gone through, a much larger charge would probably have been forthcoming.

The would-be thief got shut down before any damage could be done, but it still infuriates me. Just once, I would like to be able to stand face-to-face with one of these assholes. Just once.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3
  • Sad 2

4 minutes ago, Fog said:

If you catch them they get locked in a metal cage at night, slave labor all day, and nothing to eat but oatmeal.

Three years.

Too kind. In another life I studied bad things. Criminals should pray I never become dictator. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Eric said:

Most of the punishments I can think of would end with, “…as a warning to others.”

That's why I say myorkas should be hung by his heels as a guest of honor at a pin~Ata party!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

A skimmer at a nearby rural Shell station captured my debit card information. They quickly cleaned out the account plus the $1,000 line of credit I had set up for overdraft protection. Was made whole by the financial institution after sending a copy of the sheriff’s report I filed. Since this was a debit card I could have lost all they took. I’m in middle Tennessee. The fraudulent transactions took place in Florida almost immediately. Amused and annoyed by the frequent $3 fees for balance checks.

Decades earlier my wife was visiting an aunt in Florida. They went to Sanibel to hunt shells and get their backs sunburned. Someone broke into the locked car and took all their cash - could not even pay the toll going back on Alligator Alley - and took a Visa card from my wife’s purse. For reasons I no longer remember we had two Visa accounts. Guess the thief figured one of two might not be missed. This was in the days when merchants and banks received information about lost and stolen cards in a booklet printed on newsprint, so the thief had some safe time. Simultaneous transactions from much of Florida. Issuing bank didn’t even charge the $50 allowed by law.

• Like 3

I had a card hacked last fall.  It took some time to resolve it with the bank, but eventually they took care of it.  I have no idea where it got skimmed, and the people who used it weren't local to here.  Several years ago, had my USAA card compromised while I was going through an ugly breakup.  Someone charged over 15,000 dollars of construction materials to it, they were shipped to California.  It took a long time to clear that up.

• Sad 2

Thieves constantly come up with new ways to defraud you.  I had a fraudulent electronic wire go out from Chase Bank.  I have sent some wires before and with all the paperwork involved, I have no idea how Chase planned to send it out.  

I am not saying thieves should be killed.... Ok I am saying thieves should be killed.  There is no justice anymore.

• Like 8

6 hours ago, geeorge said:

Got my actual bank account hacked last year, not my debit card. The bank said that is was rare because I never write checks anymore. they were very fast and professional getting it worked out for me

Had a check kited.  The bank was very helpful restoring my account after I filed a fraud charge with the local police.  Then the Walmart the fraudulent check was passed at calls a collection agency in Tx to dunn me for the money,  I sent them the fraud claim copy from the bank and a copy of the police report and they backed off. 

Then a collections agency in CA started it again and I sent them the same copies along with a copy of Minnesota law that they had to be registered in MN to do collections here.  They stopped.

• Like 3

On 2/20/2024 at 5:13 PM, Fog said:

If you catch them they get locked in a metal cage at night, slave labor all day, and nothing to eat but oatmeal.

Three years.

Heck with that oatmeal. they get to eat what ever I scoop out of the litter box

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 2/20/2024 at 9:16 PM, El Spicoli said:

Thieves constantly come up with new ways to defraud you.  I had a fraudulent electronic wire go out from Chase Bank.  I have sent some wires before and with all the paperwork involved, I have no idea how Chase planned to send it out.  

I am not saying thieves should be killed.... Ok I am saying thieves should be killed.  There is no justice anymore.

Thieves… think “law enforcement” and asset confiscation 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, El Spicoli said:

Well that went south.... So we are talking about criminal fraud and you bring up LE?  Sure dude, we are all thieves...

apples and barrels…

https://mises.org/wire/highway-robbery-continues-be-law-land

On 2/20/2024 at 9:16 PM, El Spicoli said:

• Sad 1

48 minutes ago, railfancwb said:

apples and barrels…

https://mises.org/wire/highway-robbery-continues-be-law-land

So you repeated yourself??  Never heard of that site but spending a decade in the DA's office, I am aware of asset confiscation.  We did it all the time.  I could explain how and why but I don't feel like it tonight, fixing to go to work and it's a long drive.  Better to just let you believe what you want, yep lots of thievery going on in LE.  Hell, 15 yrs. later and I still don't know who stole my Ray Bans.  Those sums of beaches!

• Haha 2