Atmospheric River?

Eric

In Ca, They used to call rain that originated over the ocean, a Pacific storm.

Now every year they parrot back the phrase, "The Pineapple Express."

They rant about a "comb cyclone" whenever there is a 30 millibar swing in barometric pressure.

And I really am bored with people misusing the term 'ironic."  People act like saying, "I was being ironic"  after they make a sarcastic remark makes them an intellectual.

It is purely moronic when someone uses the phrase 'right wing.'

And the string of letters (LGBTQIA+ Alphabet) that people use to describe all the sexual orientations that the left has invented will soon encompass the entire alphabet.

• Like 3

• Administrators

It's funny to hear people saying 'Play stupid games, win stupid prizes' today. I am morally certain that phrase began on Glock Talk, many years ago. In fact, there used to be at least two internet slang sites that credited GT with the phrase. I don't remember the sites' names anymore, but I found one of them and posted on GT about it 14 or 15 years ago and I remember someone else posting another such site in the same thread. I heard one of the talking heads using the phrase concerning one of the Sheethead groups we have been bombing and it made me smile.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, minervadoe said:

And I really am bored with people misusing the term 'ironic."  People act like saying, "I was being ironic"  after they make a sarcastic remark makes them an intellectual.

Ferrous Bueller was ironic.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, tous said:

Ferrous Bueller was ironic.

Give the man a kewpie doll: according to Bing chatbot:

"Ferris Bueller is ironic in the sense that he often says or does things that are contrary to what he really means or feels. For example, he pretends to be sick to avoid school, but he is actually very healthy and energetic. He also acts like he is a rebel and a rule-breaker, but he is actually very popular and admired by his peers. He also makes fun of his sister, Jeannie, for being uptight and boring, but he secretly cares about her and helps her out at the end of the film1.

Ferris Bueller’s irony is part of his charm and humor, as he uses it to manipulate situations and people to his advantage. He also uses it to express his philosophy of life, which is to enjoy every moment and not take things too seriously. He says, "Life moves pretty fast. If you don’t stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it."1 He is ironic, but he is also sincere and optimistic. He is a complex and memorable character who has inspired many fans and imitators over the years

"

• Like 2

Atmospheric river?  This is actually the first I have heard of it. Or maybe I heard it and just chose to ignore it.

The horse show season is in full swing and I find myself in a bubble where what goes on outside in the Twilight Zone just does not make it to my eyes and ears, so I really fall behind what is going on in the sick twisted world.       It's kind of a beautiful thing.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, minervadoe said:

Give the man a kewpie doll: according to Bing chatbot:

"Ferris Bueller is ironic in the sense that he often says or does things that are contrary to what he really means or feels. For example, he pretends to be sick to avoid school, but he is actually very healthy and energetic. He also acts like he is a rebel and a rule-breaker, but he is actually very popular and admired by his peers. He also makes fun of his sister, Jeannie, for being uptight and boring, but he secretly cares about her and helps her out at the end of the film1.

Ferris Bueller’s irony is part of his charm and humor, as he uses it to manipulate situations and people to his advantage. He also uses it to express his philosophy of life, which is to enjoy every moment and not take things too seriously. He says, "Life moves pretty fast. If you don’t stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it."1 He is ironic, but he is also sincere and optimistic. He is a complex and memorable character who has inspired many fans and imitators over the years

"

So, you missed the brilliant wordplay when Ferris, a mere name, was replaced by Ferrous, meaning iron?

:biggrin:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, tous said:

So, you missed the brilliant wordplay when Ferris, a mere name, was replaced by Ferrous, meaning iron?

You'll have to excuse me.  I'm getting a little rusty.  :biggrin:  Irony.  Ferrous.  Now I get it.

• Haha 4

16 hours ago, tous said:

Does this mean that I don't get the kewpie doll?

Oh, you still get it.  But, it is actually just a picture of a kewpie doll.  But, on the plus side, you have access to an assortment.  Personally, they kind of freak me out.

9660025_1.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, gwalchmai said:

Anyone remember Hannie floating along on the circulatory river back in 66? Everybody wanted to be a platelet.

I wonder why that film, Hannie Caulder, hasn't been shown on television for years as far as I know.

Is there some sort of controversy?

If I recall, it wasn't a great film, but it had Robert Culp, Ernest Borgnine and Raquel in skin-tight, leather pants.

I remember enjoying it as a lad, especially the pants part.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2