Atmospheric River?

Eric

• Administrators

In five and a half decades, I have never heard the phrase 'atmospheric river'. Now, every media source in the country is parroting the phrase mindlessly. What is it with the media and sensationalistic catchphrases? Are they all so stupid that such phrases mesmerize them, or do they think we are all so stupid that they mesmerize us? And while I am bitching about the media, what the hell is going on with Fox News' obsession with Taylor Swift? I haven't seen a day in months that they didn't run at least one story on her and most days there are two such stories about her on the main page of their site. I am sick of hearing/seeing that freaking name. She either has a god-level publicist or she has a copy of the Epstein List to use for blackmail. Seriously, is Fox News getting some sort of renumeration for banging that dingbat's drum every single day? Is there a single news source left that hasn't taken the plunge into tabloid journalism? I for one don't give a **** what Taylor Swift is doing/saying/wearing/thinking and if she doesn't like it, she can cry me an atmospheric river.  As the song says, don't go away mad, just go away. 

Now, how about we compile of list of phrases that were co-opted by the media and worn threadbare. I'll get the ball rolling.

1. Atmospheric river
  2. Terror tunnel
  3. abundance of caution
  4. active shooter. Is there any other kind?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 4

Jet Stream in the fear mongering, woke age.

Like George Carlin joked about making things have more syllables to make it sound worse  

Shell Shock (2) became Battle Fatigue (4) then Acute Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (10). 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Active shooter?

You should see my customers. Inactive shooters. Sit in the clubhouse eating doughnuts and shooting the bull for hours the decide it is too windy (cold, hot, bright, dark, smelly, etc) to shoot. But man I love those guys.

They don’t get Atmospheric River either. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

Bomb cyclone, polar vortex, misinformation, right wing conspiracy. Just off the top of my head now. And I agree. If mahomes really got a DUI, I hope it throws his game off. I can’t stand Kansas City, I can’t stand all the new women’s lib football fans who think swift needs paid for the extra coverage, like she needs any help. I also dislike the 49ers so I don’t give a rip about the game. I will probably be boiling sap anyway. Since Cleveland blew it like they do, I was a Detroit fan and they fell apart too. 
ETA: it was his old man got busted 

• Like 3

• Administrators
8 minutes ago, Dukenukem said:

Bomb cyclone, polar vortex, misinformation, right wing conspiracy. Just off the top of my head now. And I agree. If mahomes really got a DUI, I hope it throws his game off. I can’t stand Kansas City, I can’t stand all the new women’s lib football fans who think swift needs paid for the extra coverage, like she needs any help. I also dislike the 49ers so I don’t give a rip about the game. I will probably be boiling sap anyway. Since Cleveland blew it like they do, I was a Detroit fan and they fell apart too. 

I haven't watched a game since all the kneeling bullshit began and I won't ever watch one again. I doubt if the NFL gives a crap one way or the other, but sports in this country, school or pro, used to be part of the institution that made this country what it was. The NFL broke that covenant and I am done with them. I don't begrudge others their interest in the game, but that nonsense soured me on the sport for all time.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

• Administrators

And of course 'At the end of the day...' . Yeah, that phrase has been around for ages, but a few years ago, one of the talking heads said it and all the other talking heads began parroting it. It has mostly run its course, but it still pops up fairly often.

• Like 1

• Administrators
40 minutes ago, Dukenukem said:

ETA: it was his old man got busted 

I got in to football back in middle school because of the Dallas SF rivalry. My brother was home on leave when Dallas played SF in the playoffs, in 1982. My brother and I made a bet on the game. He was a Cowboys fan, so I backed the 49'ers. I watched the occasional game then, but I wasn't a real fan before that game. When SF won, I gloated so much that my brother smacked me. I was a 49'ers (and NFL) fan ever since. SF owned the next decade.

Anyway, I was a big fan through the nineties. My interest waned a bit over the years after that, but I followed the progress each season and watched quite a few games until the woke nonsense infiltrated the game. Now, I didn't even know who was in the Superbowl this year, until I read your post. I guess I miss the sport a little, but I miss what it was.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Eric said:

I got in to football back in middle school because of the Dallas SF rivalry. My brother was home on leave when Dallas played SF in the playoffs, in 1982. My brother and I made a bet on the game. He was a Cowboys fan, so I backed the 49'ers. I watched the occasional game then, but I wasn't a real fan before that game. When SF won, I gloated so much that my brother smacked me. I was a 49'ers (and NFL) fan ever since. SF owned the next decade.

Anyway, I was a big fan through the nineties. My interest waned a bit over the years after that, but I followed the progress each season and watched quite a few games until the woke nonsense infiltrated the game. Now, I didn't even know who was in the Superbowl this year, until I read your post. I guess I miss the sport a little, but I miss what it was.

I remember the 90s 49ers. Every transplant kid around here was a fan of them or the Raiders.  And I totally understand the sentiment. The politicization of everything aggravates the hell out of me. I’m not a huge football fan, I follow the Browns because it’s a requirement around here, and I gotta be able to give my Pittsburgh friends hell when I get the chance. My brother in law is a huge fan and we’ll hang out in his barn on Sundays cooking food and watching games. He understands the strategy and the plays and all that, he played, he coached his kids, I’m not that level but it’s fun.

• Like 2

Picked up an employee that lives in LA and he said atmospheric river and I was like uh huh.  NPR attributed it to climate change.

Is it any wonder people drank the Kool aid or Shacked up with Koresh?  Parents and teachers in general have failed us.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

• Administrators
12 minutes ago, El Spicoli said:

Picked up an employee that lives in LA and he said atmospheric river and I was like uh huh.  NPR attributed it to climate change.

Is it any wonder people drank the Kool aid or Shacked up with Koresh?  Parents and teachers in general have failed us.

Tell him he should remain on the atmospheric shore, out of an abundance of caution. At the end of the day, radicalized weather always has the right of way.

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

3 hours ago, Batesmotel said:

Jet Stream in the fear mongering, woke age.

Like George Carlin joked about making things have more syllables to make it sound worse  

Shell Shock (2) became Battle Fatigue (4) then Acute Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (10). 

they dumbed Meteorology down enough to make Weather boys and girls, now they want to dumb down the weather descriptions even more, thinking the public is just as dumb as the TV broadcasters.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Eric said:

I haven't watched a game since all the kneeling bullshit began and I won't ever watch one again. I doubt if the NFL gives a crap one way or the other, but sports in this country, school or pro, used to be part of the institution that made this country what it was. The NFL broke that covenant and I am done with them. I don't begrudge others their interest in the game, but that nonsense soured me on the sport for all time.

I'd like to see some White players take a knee when they play the black national anthem.....  We have no black national anthem just as we are not supposed to use skin color as a distinction.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Growing up, for awhile our community had only one TV station. It could pick and chose from all three networks. It seemed that they followed the Washington Redskins thus the Sunday game was always Redskins vs ??? The Dallas Cowboys were one of my favorite rivals for the Redskins…

• Like 1

• Administrators

Well, it is a new day and there are two new stories about her on the front page of Fox News. With everything going on in the world that is actually newsworthy, why are they writing this garbage?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm just amazed that all the weather commentary about named  storms???  winter, spring , fall and summer storms.  Then there are the tropical storms the hurricanes....  Geesh how did people make it when all they did was look at the sky and said "yep looks like a storm is brewing".. 

Its "stormagedan" not just the weather...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, GT4494 said:

I'm just amazed that all the weather commentary about named  storms???  winter, spring , fall and summer storms.  Then there are the tropical storms the hurricanes....  Geesh how did people make it when all they did was look at the sky and said "yep looks like a storm is brewing".. 

Its "stormagedan" not just the weather...

Some guys were sitting in lawn chairs in the driveway.  They had finagled with a local TV station to run a  weather blurb every ten minutes 24/7. 

Immediately after just buying the name TheWeatherChannel.com,  one of them tipped back one of his Lites and said, "Yep.  I think we can make money with this."

After I heard them actually give a  name to a regional snow storm (the whole area could expect, like, 3"), I pretty much completely quit watching them.

• Like 1