It's been cold lately....

Borg warner

We had one night when it was 11 below zero and about below the next day but now it's warmed up to about 20 degrees but today wehne I drove to the store I had to remove about 6 inches of snow off my windshield and my hood so that the wipers and the windshield washer would work.

cartoonfreezing.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

I cut up a middlin' 14"-18" windblown ash that was blocking the trail yesterday. Dragged it up to a nice dry landing on the hill so it can season. I have 3 or 4 more that I need to get to in the fullness of time. It was in the 40s so I was OK if I kept moving. Stayed in the sun and it was pleasant. Mrs. G said folks on the local swap-shop radio show were begging for firewood yesterday. If they're still cold today I'll get 'em some.

a2.jpg

• Like 8

My current medical stuff (at least that's what I'm blaming it on), has left me intolerable of even the slightest chill. Big. I instantly freeze and whimper. It's all I've got.

I've got two tiny heaters going in my office. The room is flirting with 80*. I is cozy.
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Huaco Kid said:

My wife just ran to the store to get an electric blanket, in the hopes that I ditch the elec heaters.

I'll cocoon and never come out.

Winter in Minnesota became tolerable when my kids chipped in together and bought mom and I a "HEATED Waterbed".  You never want to get out of bed in the Winter.  And if you do, it's almost impossible.........

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, railfancwb said:

Daughter gave her husband an electric coat. Has battery. 

I bought wife and I ones too.  They work well, the problem is that the coat is so good, we don't need to turn on the heaters............

• Like 1

I mostly hate the battery-powered stuff.

As always: Use the warmest battery jacket for a season, put it away until next winter, and battery is dead and won't charge (or only charge 15min worth). Buy new battery = ching!

My wife dug on the battery yard tools. Hundreds of dollars worth. She loved the convenience.

Dig them all out next spring = dead batteries = won't charge. Yard tools = expensive batteries = cha ching ching!

About every time. With all rechargeable things.

It's an expensive trap to step into.

I eschews them.
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, janice6 said:

Winter in Minnesota became tolerable when my kids chipped in together and bought mom and I a "HEATED Waterbed".  You never want to get out of bed in the Winter.  And if you do, it's almost impossible.........

I had a heated waterbed as a teenager. My 4 dogs took it over in the winter. These three plus a husky. Good days. 

RenderedImage.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Huaco Kid said:

As always: Use the warmest battery jacket for a season, put it away until next winter, and battery is dead and won't charge (or only charge 15min worth). Buy new battery = ching!

My wife dug on the battery yard tools. Hundreds of dollars worth. She loved the convenience.

Dig them all out next spring = dead batteries = won't charge. Yard tools = expensive batteries = cha ching ching!

I eschews them.

Just wait for a storm and hold up a lightening rod wired into the battery.

And if the lightening misses the rod -- either way, you'll. be warm.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

We bought a waterbed with wedding cash. We toted the giant boxes across the country on the way home.

We wanted a wb for the relaxing and obvious health aspects, of course. (NOT for feral sex. That never entered our minds.) It pretty much ended up being solely responsible for my later back surgery. They ARE NOT good for you.

We bought the bed from one of those pop-up stores. Every block in every city/town had two or three wb stores per block, back then. Then drove 30 hours straight home.

After two weeks of solid partying and not sleeping for 30++ hours, we absolutely HAD to set up the bed when we got home (for skeletal perfection and health benefits, of course). We got it built and filled. Set the heater for Max+. And waited!

We didn't know it takes, like, three days to get to temperature. It was ice water. We tried to merely sleep on it, but it would only take 30min for hypothermia to set in.

We ended up sleeping on the floor, right next to a brand new wb.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

3 hours ago, Huaco Kid said:

I eschews them.

My daughter worked for Home Depot.  If you buy a battery operated anything, and the battery fails, they will replace it for free.  She said there is no specified time limit.  Home depot warrantees like Sears of the old days.  Anything you buy it appears that when it breaks, they will replace it free.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, railfancwb said:

Daughter gave her husband an electric coat. Has battery. 

I bought a heated vest for my 90yo mother.  Every time I ask if it works for her, she tells me she keeps meaning to try it but hasn't yet. SMH

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, minderasr said:

I bought a heated vest for my 90yo mother.  Every time I ask if it works for her, she tells me she keeps meaning to try it but hasn't yet. SMH

My wife loves her battery heated jacket.  But!  If I tell her to turn it on, she asks me how?  It has two buttons on the left lapel.  Both are for the whole coat. 

I think men underestimate the heating capability of two boobies.  If, perchance, I get to touch them, I certainly get a lot hotter.

• Haha 3

11 hours ago, Huaco Kid said:

We bought a waterbed with wedding cash. We toted the giant boxes across the country on the way home.

We wanted a wb for the relaxing and obvious health aspects, of course. (NOT for feral sex. That never entered our minds.) It pretty much ended up being solely responsible for my later back surgery. They ARE NOT good for you.

We bought the bed from one of those pop-up stores. Every block in every city/town had two or three wb stores per block, back then. Then drove 30 hours straight home.

After two weeks of solid partying and not sleeping for 30++ hours, we absolutely HAD to set up the bed when we got home (for skeletal perfection and health benefits, of course). We got it built and filled. Set the heater for Max+. And waited!

We didn't know it takes, like, three days to get to temperature. It was ice water. We tried to merely sleep on it, but it would only take 30min for hypothermia to set in.

We ended up sleeping on the floor, right next to a brand new wb.

Yep, you don't want to turn them off.....  I had a  back injury from a car accident and the water bed helped it considerably.  When medical and old folks homes use waterbeds the patients don't get bed sores.

3 minutes ago, janice6 said:

Yep, you don't want to turn them off.....  I had a  back injury from a car accident and the water bed helped it considerably.  When medical and old folks homes use waterbeds the patients don't get bed sores.

Robert A Heinlein is credited by some with inventing the waterbed or at least popularizing it in “Stranger in a Strange Land”. The book was first published in 1961. Don’t know how that fits the waterbed’s ruse and fall. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, El Spicoli said:

We got rain all last night and thankfully ot was right at above freezing.

Wife wants to  use some of the stuff in the prepper closet so looks like a canned chili night.  

I'm a hateful person 'cause I like canned chili and as Tous declares, it's not chili when it has beans in it.  I'm gullible.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2