It's been cold lately....

Borg warner

In Texas, beans in chili is punishable by death according to some. I found it more useful to find out EXACTLY what the meat is in the chili. I love chili, prefer no beans but wont refuse chili on those grounds. But the meat? Beef and pork, fine. I almost tried chili made with rattle snake meat, but mostly out of spite for sneks. Venison or actually anything else I insist on knowing what the meat is AND how it was obtained? Just on general principal I draw the line at road kill! Everybody should visit a county fair chili cook off in Texas at least once!

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, janice6 said:

I'm a hateful person 'cause I like canned chili and as Tous declares, it's not chili when it has beans in it.  I'm gullible.

Oh it IS chili when beans are in it.  I like a lot of canned chilis.  What does Tous know?  Me, I am a born and bred Texan.  I judged a chili cook off once as part of a community outreach event and damn, never again.  Some folks idea of chili is well, terrible.

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, janice6 said:

I'm a hateful person 'cause I like canned chili and as Tous declares, it's not chili when it has beans in it.  I'm gullible.

Canned Chili / no beans is good for chili dogs especially if you get the hot dogs from a German deli that has the skins on them and just add mustard and chopped sweet onions and maybe top them off with some Sauerkraut. But the absolute BEST chili for chili dogs is XLNT brand chili which is what Pinks Chili dogs in Hollywood CA uses for the absolute best chili dogs in the world.

But unfortunately, XLNT is based in California and Xlnt Chili is only available in California on the corner of Melrose and La Brea and select areas in Arizona, Nevada, Oregon and Washington State, so strictly West Coast.

Xlnt might ship to other states but it's pricey with a minimum quantity requirement (and I have only a very small freezer.) And I just learned that Pinks ships nationally but I haven't looked into that yet.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Paul53 said:

In Texas, beans in chili is punishable by death according to some. I found it more useful to find out EXACTLY what the meat is in the chili. I love chili, prefer no beans but wont refuse chili on those grounds. But the meat? Beef and pork, fine. I almost tried chili made with rattle snake meat, but mostly out of spite for sneks. Venison or actually anything else I insist on knowing what the meat is AND how it was obtained? Just on general principal I draw the line at road kill! Everybody should visit a county fair chili cook off in Texas at least once!

I disagree with the no beans edict that all chili purists insist on. I've been in chili cook-offs and refused to serve the beans separately  as some have suggested, because the beans don't taste good unless they're cooked in chili!

Anyway there are two reasons I like chili with red kidney beans, One, Chili and Beans just plain go together spaghetti and meatballs, and two, chili and beans for me is just like what mamma used to make. Now I admit I'm a Yankee and grew up in New York but when my family moved to California in 1959 my German mother started cooking Mexican food and Chili. and the way she made chili was with hamburger, some kind of tomato sauce, and French's Chili mix. And No onions because my brother hated onions.  And she made it kind of watery or soupy but I LOVED it and I still make a batch just like it once in a while.

Now maybe if my family had moved to Texas things would be different, but I had no choice in the matter because my Dad was in the aircraft industry and California was where all the jobs were when Bell aircraft division in Buffalo went out of business. And I don't make chili like mamma did. I like it thick and spicy and with  chunks of meat rather than hamburger and whole tomatoes and sweet onions and dried kidney beans cooked from scratch. And my secret weapon is to let it sit overnight and then re-heat for at least an hour before serving. that way the beans absorb all that good flavor.

Last year my brother shot a mountain lion here in western Washington state and saved some of the meat for chili and he makes chili almost as good as I do and that was some good meat!

• Like 3

2 hours ago, El Spicoli said:

Oh it IS chili when beans are in it.  I like a lot of canned chilis.  What does Tous know?  Me, I am a born and bred Texan.  I judged a chili cook off once as part of a community outreach event and damn, never again.  Some folks idea of chili is well, terrible.

tous knows that proper chili doesn't have beans, else it's a spicy bean stew or thick bean soup.

Don't ever give an Italian a chili recipe.

Just don't.

:599c64b322d5b_tongueout:

• Haha 3