Nostalgia

M&P15T

I had a real strong nostalgic reaction the other day, that was really weird. Like, transported back to being a kid again. 

Because I went to an indoor mall. Like one from the 70s or 80s. It really freaked me out.

What does that for you? What transports you back to being a kid?

I'm online right now looking at Mongoose bicycles. I want to ride my Mongoose to the mall again. :anim_lol:

• Like 5

Some songs take me back I suppose. Some books. Had a handlebar basket on my bicycle mostly for taking library books back and forth. Lionel trains from the early post-war period - mid  1940s to mid 1950s. After that my interest in toy trains was sidetracked in favor of girls. Vespa motor scooters from their classic period - those with clutch and gears. 

• Like 2

I love singing and songs from my era, 50 rock.  Every time I hear "Are you lonesome tonight?", I instantly pop back to the memory of being at my 16 year old teenage love's house one bright Summer day.  It was hotter than hades and it was an effort to just move. 

I loved her then, so much.  I couldn't wait to either drive my dad's car to her house at the other end of town, or I would often just run all the way to see if I could do it.  In any event, I would dream of being with her every waking moment.

I often post of my wife of these 67 years, and how much I care for her.  She's the same one that I saw that one hot, sweaty, Summer day.  I can still remember just how good she smelled when we were in each others arms.  She is still the love of my life and smells just as great as she did long ago.

Most of my memories are of special times with her.  And, when my mother kissed me good-bye and left us..............  I try to remember my wife more than all the memories of long ago that are so dark.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I'm going to be killed for this post:

Lacquer paint in the days of candy colors.

The smell of body putty -  more aromatic hydrocarbons

Believe it or not, in my youth I liked the smell of carbon tetrachloride

Model airplane glue

Model airplane dope

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last but by no means the least, the smell of upper thigh skin through nylons..............................  Kill me now - it doesn't get any better than this.

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, janice6 said:

Model airplane glue

Model airplane dope

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Indeed.

We had the same nose.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, janice6 said:

"Fine" things appeal to those with sophisticated taste.

I had an old  short wave radio in my bedroom and when all of the tubes warmed up, the distinct odor of ozone.

I spent hours turning those dials to find a voice in the ether.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, janice6 said:

Model airplane glue

Model airplane dope

Last but by no means the least, the smell of upper thigh skin through nylons..............................  Kill me now - it doesn't get any better than this.

Canon Tet! That was some wicked stuff!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, tous said:

I had an old  short wave radio in my bedroom and when all of the tubes warmed up, the distinct odor of ozone.

I spent hours turning those dials to find a voice in the ether.

Very late at night no one was stirring.  I was in my room with the radio on, the glow of the filaments and the faint humming from the transmitter power supply.  God, life was good then.

One night I was just enjoying the conversations on 75 meters when the daughter of the widowed renter sown the hall slowly walked up to the door to my radio room (it had no actual door) and leaned against the casing. 

She had glowing blonde hair, about 18 to 20 years old.  She was smiling.  She had a white terry cloth robe on, she had just come from a bath.  She stood there leaning against the door jam and started swinging her leg in and out of the bathrobe, almost up to her hip.  I sat there and just looked. 

I had no idea what to do, and couldn't think of my own name.  We made some small talk with her leading the conversation since my big head didn't work.  She asked me to take her to the movies the next night and I have vague recollection of agreeing.  She was out of high school and working as a waitress.  I honestly think she liked to play with me just for fun, since I had to believe she was being hit on all the time she was working.

I was about 15 at that time and hadn't dealt with a wild animal before, and it scared me to death.  I still have fond memories of Gloria passing the time with me from night to night. 

They talk of regrets when you are facing your grim reaper - I think I may have a few/

• Like 5

Old classic Movie Theaters....

I grew up in Brooklyn NY, teen age years (1950's) there were about 6 old time movie houses in walking distance....and Downtown there was the FOX theater, home of Murray the K Rock and Roll show

• Like 3

The scent of the air just before a summer thunderstorm, and the scent of hot wet concrete during the storm.  My dad and I would sit in lawn chairs on the front porch to watch the storms.

The purple ink on fresh worksheets in elementary school - what the heck was the real name for the ditto machine?

The scent of the old canvas tent we camped in when I was a kid.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Batesmotel said:

Real slate chalkboards. 

I had some kinks in grade school.  One was that screeching on chalk boards didn't bother me a bit.  So, often  when I entered a classroom I would drag my fingernails along the chalkboard just because I could.

Half of the class would have their hair standing up on end with looks like I just had threatened the lives of their parents.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1