Pocket Check

minderasr

I actually use my knife for real world activities, like cutting open bales of hay or bags of chips.

A knife that sharp would dull itself too fast to be actually useful in every day life, unless I wanted to spend all my spare time keeping it sharp.

Mostly though I use a folding pocket knife that uses replaceable utility blades.  

Ain't nobody got time for that.

• Like 3

I learned that there are two types of sharpening depending on your intended use of the blade. 

One, I learned is for wood work where my chisels have a smooth super sharp edge and can shave or make miniscule cuts cross grain.  My plane blades are equally sharp so they make shavings you can see through. However, for general use, this type of sharpness is bullshit for almost anything else. I generally go up to a 10,000 grit for my wood working tools.

My general purpose blades have miniscule serrations along the edge this aids in the cutting action for fibrous material and skin.  I sharpen with a more coarse stone/diamond for general use than for wood work.  If you try to fillet a fish with my wood working tools they have problems making a continuous cut due to the fiber in the flesh.  I go up to a 2,000 grit stone/diamond for general use.  You have to leave slight serrations along the edge and if you use too high a grit these serrations are lost.

General use sharpened blades will fillet like a dream since you slide the blade perpendicular to the cut slightly, as you progress in the cut.  This slices the fibers and is a dream to work with.

Cutting Tomatoes is a good test.  you have to break the skin to get the cut going and without the serrations it's a bitch to do.  Actually, the rough cut top out of a can opener will cut Tomatoes better than my wood chisels in spite of the fact that the wood chisels will shave you better.

• Like 3