Elvis Movie

norton

Took Mrs. N to the matinee for the new Elvis movie today.

All I can say is.

Wow. 

The actor who played Elvis really nailed the character.

Tom Hanks put in his usual workmanlike performance as the some times evil Colonel Parker.

Great supporting cast and some outstanding musical performances.

I give this one a solid 9 out of 10.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, norton said:

All I can say is.

Wow. 

Tom Hanks put in his usual workmanlike performance as the some times evil Colonel Parker.

today, I saw it listed on one of the movie houses close to me.  My wife and I both love his songs and grew up with him so we have an interest.  I thank you for your post and I will see if she wants to go to it with me.  Together of course.  I wondered at the time what it would be like and left it hanging!

:cheers:

• Like 1

Yes it's pretty even handed.  I think Mrs N was concerned that chubby Elvis might be featured, but its only at the end.

Great back story-don't know how much its Hollywoodized-about his love of Black Gospel Music as a kid and Black performers on Beal St.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, norton said:

All I can say is.

Wow. 

Thanks! LostWIfe is an Elvis fanatic. Plum gaga over him, and always has been. 

Will be sure to treat her to this.

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, norton said:

Yes it's pretty even handed.  I think Mrs N was concerned that chubby Elvis might be featured, but its only at the end.

Great back story-don't know how much its Hollywoodized-about his love of Black Gospel Music as a kid and Black performers on Beal St.

His music was very influenced over it. His Gospel music is renowned, and his only Grammys IIRC. Hard to believe, but true.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, janice6 said:

today, I saw it listed on one of the movie houses close to me.  My wife and I both love his songs and grew up with him so we have an interest.  I thank you for your post and I will see if she wants to go to it with me.  Together of course.  I wondered at the time what it would be like and left it hanging!

:cheers:

I'm sure the two of you would enjoy it.  This past weekend the wife and I saw it and enjoyed it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Colonel Parker is not portrayed in a positive light in this movie.  

According to the script he took 50% of Elvis's earnings.

He was also a fraud, and could not leave the country because he did not have a passport.  Assumed identity.  

Still you have to wonder if the Colonel had not seen Elvis and promoted him, would he have really ever been heard of?

• Like 3

A friend of mine is a big Elvis fan. He said if you've seen his live performances, you can appreciate how well the film nailed that part. I read an article about how a lot of the Col. Parker stuff isn't quite accurate but, it is just a movie.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, jfost11 said:

A friend of mine is a big Elvis fan. He said if you've seen his live performances, you can appreciate how well the film nailed that part. I read an article about how a lot of the Col. Parker stuff isn't quite accurate but, it is just a movie.

I don't remember ever seeing, hearing, or reading about Parker in a real positive light. Not the shiniest nickel in the drawer, but he saw the potential, marketed the man, booked the shows, and managed (well) a legend. Did he hold Elvis back in some areas as has been portrayed? Dunno.

• Like 3

Tom hanks did not gain weight for the movie. He wore a "Fat suit" and prosthesis's on his face He had to spend 2 hours every day having the makeup applied and then about a half hour removing it. In earlier movies he would gain and lose 30 or 40 pounds for a role but after he got older and was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes, drastic weight gain would have posed a serious threat to his health.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, LostinTexas said:

I don't remember ever seeing, hearing, or reading about Parker in a real positive light. Not the shiniest nickel in the drawer, but he saw the potential, marketed the man, booked the shows, and managed (well) a legend. Did he hold Elvis back in some areas as has been portrayed? Dunno.

I don't recall hearing positive remarks about him either. What I read was by someone who interviewed him several times in the 90s. The inaccuracies they mentioned were little things about his accent, how Elvis died not knowing about the illegal status and no passport, and things like that. Not that the real Parker was a better person than Hanks' portrayal. If anything, he was possibly worse.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, jfost11 said:

I don't recall hearing positive remarks about him either. What I read was by someone who interviewed him several times in the 90s. The inaccuracies they mentioned were little things about his accent, how Elvis died not knowing about the illegal status and no passport, and things like that. Not that the real Parker was a better person than Hanks' portrayal. If anything, he was possibly worse.

To be fair the real Hanks may be a worse person too.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, DAKA said:

Interesting how so many performers were taken advantage of...

I get to work with celebrities on occasion. It is unbelievable how bad their management abuses and steals from them. I’ve seen an agent just steal cash from a weekends work right in front of the actor. He was pissed but it was just part of the cost of doing business in the industry. 

Most of the actors I’ve worked with are wonderful people. Most agents are lower than whale ****. 

• Sad 2

1 hour ago, Batesmotel said:

I get to work with celebrities on occasion. It is unbelievable how bad their management abuses and steals from them. I’ve seen an agent just steal cash from a weekends work right in front of the actor. He was pissed but it was just part of the cost of doing business in the industry. 

Most of the actors I’ve worked with are wonderful people. Most agents are lower than whale ****. 

I get the impression most of them are no better than pimps.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1