Jury Duty and Covid Symptoms. Sunday Fun Day!

Duluth

So I received the notice. "You Are Hereby SUMMONED to Appear for Jury Service..."

July Monday 12th at 8am . 8 in the morning! I work nights in the liquor industry. 

They said to call them if I have any Covid symptoms. I figure I'll have to get up at 6:30 AM to get ready and get myself to court. I haven't gotten out of bed that early in years. I'm guessing my Monday morning symptoms will likely be...

Covid Symptoms per the CDC:

Fatigue ✔️

Nausea ✔️

Headache ✔️

Muscle or body aches ✔️

Cough ✔️

New confusion ✔️

I'm not a morning person. Especially a Monday morning person.

Sunday Fun Day!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 9

They don't even try to invite me for Jury Duty.

I feel like crap every morning, no matter when I get up. By the time I'm up and running its time for dinner. At 11 PM.

And once they'd hear my political viewpoints and rants in jury selection they'd probably call the next best ward.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

I despise the waiting & time loss as much as anyone, but always respond to jury duty.

I figure if it was me in court (be it for civil or criminal case) I'd want as many rational critical thinking folks on the jury as possible.

Yes, I still curse the process, and no I've not yet been selected to sit (and probably never will), but I'll continue responding.

Sent from my Jack boot using Copatalk

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, TBO said:

I despise the waiting & time loss as much as anyone, but always respond to jury duty.

I figure if it was me in court (be it for civil or criminal case) I'd want as many rational critical thinking folks on the jury as possible.

Yes, I still curse the process, and no I've not yet been selected to sit (and probably never will), but I'll continue responding.

Sent from my Jack boot using Copatalk

At least one half of the jury pickers - maybe both - will try to eliminate “…rational critical thinking folks…”

• Like 5

I hate the term "jury of your peers" still being used today.  All that means is members of the jury are from the same state as you.  Not peers.  Anyways, courts don't even bother trying to get me to serve.  I guess I'm a little too colorful during the interview when I give my opinions about prosecutors, the DA, and just corrupt LE in general. 

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, Maser said:

I hate the term "jury of your peers" still being used today.  All that means is members of the jury are from the same state as you.  Not peers.  Anyways, courts don't even bother trying to get me to serve.  I guess I'm a little too colorful during the interview when I give my opinions about prosecutors, the DA, and just corrupt LE in general. 

Jury truly from ones peers could be interesting. 

• Like 2

On 7/3/2021 at 1:26 PM, TBO said:

I think exactly the same way.   The last time they selected and interviewed me...and...could not get rid of me faster.  And i asked to serve.

• Like 1

I've been tagged many times,  and always showed up.  I answered the selection honestly, and got picked several times.

Once was a doozy.  Two weeks long.

I'm pretty much as I am, so f*ck everyone else,  my vote is mine.

I'll listen to all the arguments,  and sway me as you will,  my vote is mine.  I'll stick with it.

Don't invite me back.  I don't care.

• Like 1

I have only been called up once.  I have a pretty "Black and White" mind about right and wrong.

I believe in law and order, but tempered with real justice, not vengeance.  So I do fight for what I believe is the "right thing to do", and no one will change my mind.

My one jury duty convinced me that people are needed to make sure Justice is served, and fairly.  Many jurists I encountered, don't even listen to the merits of the case.  Someone has to! 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, holyjohnson said:

Jury Duty really isn't that hard.

I got picked for a Grand Jury once.  6 friggin months...convicted every one of the bastards to death.  The sickness of the crimes was just astounding...Ya never want to be on a Grand Jury.

• Like 2

I’ve been kicked off of a jury in a murder trial...for telling my true feelings like much of you.  Don’t think that gets you out of an obligation.  I ended up on a civil case...eminent domain valuation.  I found out afterward that the murder case ended in two days in a mistrial. 

The eminent domain case was a week long...stuff like watching video taped depositions by civil engineers on rates of water flow...

6 hours ago, Maser said:

Where the hell did they find a jury of Michael Jackson's peers?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, holyjohnson said:

ok, ill give you that.

but that is an instant out of Jury Duty.

I looked into "instant out". I'm going to call them Tuesday morning. 

We can't find workers. They're all making too much collecting unemployment. The extra $300 Covid benefit.

I'll let you know how it works out.

• Like 1

They've called me 3 times, but the first two were right before I moved out of state, with the date for the duty after the move, so I let them know and they let me off, obviously.  This last time was last summer during Covidiocy... so they called me, but then they didn't have any trials that week because our idiot governinny cancelled everything per her usual stupidity.  I wanted to go, as long as I didn't have to wear a freaking mask to aggravate the asthma... which was obviously going to be a problem.  Anyway, I don't think they'll ever let me do it, because I'm married to a law professor and the first thing I'd have to admit is that YES, I AM FAMILIAR WITH JURY NULLIFICATION.  Followed by 2A!  2A!  2A!   What part of "shall not be infringed" do you not get? 

And having said I want to go, after my parents both served 30 years ago, they said if they were ever charged with anything they would waive a jury trial and go with a 3 judge panel, because too many of their fellow jury members were imbeciles or worse.  So there's that.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3