Sorry About The Site Outage

Eric

• Administrators

Hi guys. Those of you up late tonight might have noticed a couple of hours of downtime here at TBS. I would love to be able to blame someone else for it, but it was all me. I was making some changes to the TBS site domain name DNS records and screwed something up. For those of you that don't know, DNS stands for 'Domain Name System'. It is the layer of the Internet that helps to resolve those easy-to-remember domain names, to not-so-easy-to-remember IP numbers, that point to the servers where domain names' sites reside. When it doesn't work, nothing works.

Anyway, it was a PITA to figure out the problem, but I found it and we are back up. Sorry about that. Carry on.

• Like 6

• Administrators
8 minutes ago, gwalchmai said:

Good job. DNS issues are sucky. Like trying to deal with a stripped slotted screw with a 25 ft screwdriver.  :(

It was a small syntax error, buried in a page of settings. My eyes are getting too old for this ****. 

• Administrators
3 minutes ago, tous said:

Initiates and refreshes as expected here.

<--- once made a similar error in a long shell script that cascaded to about 20 routers.  :Alex:

Those are, Well, heck.  Just heck,' moments.

:biggrin:

Maybe I still have a cached lookup on my end, maybe in my router, that is timing out on some types of traffic. Who knows. When DNS starts screwing up, it can cause the damnedest problems. 

• Administrators

This evening has been a PITA. I’m glad everything got resolved. I can’t get any sleep, if I go to bed while something is broken on the site. I’ll usually just pull an all-nighter. I’m very happy I won’t have to tonight. All-nighters are longer than they used to be. 

2 hours ago, gwalchmai said:

Back in the DOS days I wrote a little program that put a C:\ prompt onscreen and accepted input. No matter what the user entered it replied "Bad command or file not found". 

Did you put the program call in the startup sequence? 

49 minutes ago, railfancwb said:

Did you put the program call in the startup sequence? 

Of course. ;)

Another fun thing was to take a screen cap of the user's Windows desktop and set it as his wallpaper. Then move all the real icons offscreen. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, DAKA said:

WHAT are you guys talking about....I don't understand any of those words   ?

Translation - Eric broke the website.

My only objection is it appears only Eric can use the tag "Dumbass."

Edited by SC Tiger