Over 100 here.

Yeah, I'm not in Alaska. Been helping family for the past couple of months in S.W. Wa. We're in the middle of a heat wave here. Thankfully the house I am living in has air conditioning. When I lived here years ago I had no air in the home or cars, and when it got this hot it was miserable. I am only able to get any work done in the morning, then it's back inside and only brief forays out into Hell.

• Like 4

You're not too far from me then.

Yeah, pretty warm here.  Luckily I'm in the bottom floor of a house with concrete slab floors and insulated from the upstairs shop, which is about the same temp as an oven right now.

No aircon for me, but it's still under 80 in the house and I'm sitting in front of a fan.  If it was any worse though I'd probably go out and jump in the goldfish pond.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Walt Longmire said:

I am only able to get any work done in the morning, then it's back inside and only brief forays out into Hell.

That's exactly what I'm dealing with for 7 months straight. While we usually top out at 94 F, with those 90 plus percent humidity it feels like 120 F.

Working outside is a pain in the ass. If its under the sun, you enter into the wet t-shirt contest within 5 minutes, with the t-shirt being entirely wet after 20 min. If you don't drink a quart every hour, you will end up with major headache or a heatstroke.

Trying to get my minivan camper conversion done, but I have to go inside and cool off every 10 minutes. The heat and sweating is also very distracting and causes me to make mistakes.

Next property will be outside HOA, with a shop that is larger than the house, and the shop being fully insulated and air conditioned.

• Like 3

lol.  100+ in GA every day,  a couple weeks ago.  300' up, in the full sun, on top of a precipitator half as big as a football field,  3' away from a metal 300+ degree smokestack.  You can run,  but you can't hide.

I don't even use the AC in the cars.  Don't want to wreck my acclimation.

I just think about -10 in the summer,  and Georgia in the winter.

9 minutes ago, crockett said:

That's exactly what I'm dealing with for 7 months straight. While we usually top out at 94 F, with those 90 plus percent humidity it feels like 120 F.

Yst within 5 minutes, with the t-shirt being entirely wet after 20 min. If you don't drink a quart every hour, you will end up with major headache or a heatstroke.

Trying to get my minivan camper conversion done, but I have to go inside and cool off every 10 minutes. The heat and sweating is also very distracting and causes me to make mistakes.

Next property will be outside HOA, with a shop that is larger than the house, and the shop being fully insulated and air conditioned.

My heart bleeds for ya.:anim_lol:  I see your ass...out on the beach...takin a break from "Day Tradin".  (Wish I could do that) (The Day Tradin)  building that MAGNIFICENT Van!!!   Get your young ass out there and Finish your project!!  "Cool off" after every 10 minutes...You'd never last a day on a line Crew.

Ya know I'm messin with ya...:cool:

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Swampfox762 said:

My heart bleeds for ya.:anim_lol:  I see your ass...out on the beach...takin a break from "Day Tradin".  (Wish I could do that) (The Day Tradin)  building that MAGNIFICENT Van!!!   Get your young ass out there and Finish your project!!  "Cool off" after every 10 minutes...You'd never last a day on a line Crew.

Ya know I'm messin with ya...:cool:

Keep in mind, I grew up in a cold climate, year round. Average "summer" temp was in the low 60s and lasted about 2 months. I love the warm weather in Florida, as long as I can hang at the beach and swim in the ocean.

Was swimming for 2 hours today, well past the swim zone. One day one of those drunk boaters will run my ass over, like they do with the manatees.

And talking about manatees, had one creep up on me again. Still scares the **** out of me, same size as some sharks.

• Haha 2

Ugh.  I guess I should shut up about complaining about it being 95 here in the pouring rain.  (Who needs more  humidity?). It hit 85 in the house and I finally broke down and turned on the AC (usually when the husband is traveling, I shut it off when he walks out the door and don't turn it back on til a couple hours before be gets home).  I am not looking forward to standing out in the yard processing chickens, ducks and rabbits in this mess the rest of this week.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Walt Longmire said:

A hunert and fifteen today. Had to spend some time in a metal shop moving some items out. I was drenched in sweat in just a few minutes.

I spent my life telling people to not do that, and work smarter than harder. Never took with most of them, which led to me staying employed.

A Buck Fifteen and metal shed is a recipe for problems that can kill you. Even folks that are accustomed to that kind of heat.

Stay vigilant, drink lots of water, eat right, and work smarter, not harder.

• Like 1

While dehydration is a big concern during hot days, you also gotta be careful of over hydration which can be just as dangerous.  I experienced that last week when I drank way too much Gatorade and water.  Fortunately I got enough of it up to be alright and in the end all I suffered from was a nasty headache the rest of the night. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, LostinTexas said:

I spent my life telling people to not do that, and work smarter than harder. Never took with most of them, which led to me staying employed.

A Buck Fifteen and metal shed is a recipe for problems that can kill you. Even folks that are accustomed to that kind of heat.

Stay vigilant, drink lots of water, eat right, and work smarter, not harder.

I was only there long enough to load some power tools into a buyers vehicle. Then back to the AC.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Maser said:

While dehydration is a big concern during hot days, you also gotta be careful of over hydration which can be just as dangerous.  I experienced that last week when I drank way too much Gatorade and water.  Fortunately I got enough of it up to be alright and in the end all I suffered from was a nasty headache the rest of the night. 

Heard about a radio contest in which the prize was a large flat screen TV. The challenge was to drink as many glasses of water as possible in a given period. The woman who won went home and died because she had consumed so much water so rapidly her electrolytes were too diluted to keep her going.  

2 minutes ago, railfancwb said:

Heard about a radio contest in which the prize was a large flat screen TV. The challenge was to drink as many glasses of water as possible in a given period. The woman who won went home and died because she had consumed so much water so rapidly her electrolytes were too diluted to keep her going.  

Yup. They shoulda used beer.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, railfancwb said:

Similar thing happened during a contest to win a Nintendo Wii.  Contest was called "Hold Your Wee For A Wii" or something like that.  Woman wins and goes home and dies.  Then there was that water intoxication thing that kids were doing to get high and lots of them ended up in hospitals and even some died. 

• Like 1

Cool spell here. Topped out at 91°. I’m cutting weeds today. Work about 30 minutes then come in for an hour or so. I have to dig out rocks and put in topsoil on a strip 2 feet by 50 feet tomorrow. I need to finish by 10:00 or it will be too hot. 

4 hours ago, Batesmotel said:

Cool spell here. Topped out at 91°. I’m cutting weeds today. Work about 30 minutes then come in for an hour or so. I have to dig out rocks and put in topsoil on a strip 2 feet by 50 feet tomorrow. I need to finish by 10:00 or it will be too hot. 

Hit it early like us loggers did when the humidity was too low. Start work at 4 a.m. and be done by noon. We called it "Hoot Owling" Hated it since we had a 2 hour drive up into the mountains just to get there.