Gotta Love Zoomers!

Maser

About three years ago i was in a sandwich shop and this very pretty little blond girl was standing next to me and said, "How, cute!  You're wearing a watch!"

I told her it was a nice watch and i was happy with it....but wanted to know why she thought it was cute?   After all the watch is a time keeping device.

Her response back was she tells time with her cell phone.

That turned into a paper I wrote for graduate school.

• Like 4

Had some kids (teenagers) walking past my house a few years ago. I was working out front with the garage doors open. They walked up the driveway and asked if they could use the phone. I have a rotary phone in the garage. Yeah, they had no idea. Asked if it was for real. I showed them how to use it. My gf, myself, and the 2 boys all had a good laugh about it.

• Haha 3

Just now, Mrs.Cicero said:

Ask some of them what time it is on an analog clock and they panic...

That was pretty much the point of the paper i wrote.  We still have to deal with older technology by the younger employees...have no clue how to deal with it.

• Like 2

If your kids are close to driving age, get a standard transmission vehicle. Thank me later.

"Dial" the phone. Dial is rarely what we do, except for in Walts garage. I am at a loss for a word to replace dial for digital phones.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, railfancwb said:

There will be a small but lucrative field for experts who can translate cursive to print. Redundancy will be required for someone to audit and verify the accuracy of the translation 

500 years from now some archeology student will find an artifact and describe it as “ancient cursive”

• Haha 1

Darkroom Photography blows their mind. Some are trying Hybrid Photography where they shoot and hand develop film but without a darkroom, they need to scan the negative and print digitally. It is a blast to watch them develop their first print in a darkroom. 

2 hours ago, railfancwb said:

There will be a small but lucrative field for experts who can translate cursive to print. Redundancy will be required for someone to audit and verify the accuracy of the translation 

If you can read shorthand, legal experts will pay you bucks to transfer records.

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, railfancwb said:

My cursive and signature are so awful people think I'm a doctor. I **** you not, at just 45, I never really learned to write cursive. Got by without really having to, and haven't done so since probably 5th grade.

Edited by MO Fugga
  • Haha 1

I was at work and whipped out cash to pay for something and this vapid millennial asked why I carried cash. I looked her straight in the eye and said, “Can you keep a secret?” She replied in the affirmative. I replied, “So can I”. Yeah, that pretty much pisses millennials off. She later complained on me for cultural appropriation. :upeyes: 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, NPTim said:

I was at work and whipped out cash to pay for something and this vapid millennial asked why I carried cash. I looked her straight in the eye and said, “Can you keep a secret?” She replied in the affirmative. I replied, “So can I”. Yeah, that pretty much pisses millennials off. She later complained on me for cultural appropriation. :upeyes: 

***hole isn't necessarily a culture, so you should be safe.

11 hours ago, Batesmotel said:

Darkroom Photography blows their mind. Some are trying Hybrid Photography where they shoot and hand develop film but without a darkroom, they need to scan the negative and print digitally. It is a blast to watch them develop their first print in a darkroom. 

Black & white photography was so fun in High School.  Hated the smell of the stop bath, but still fun class. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, railfancwb said:

I'm ready for that! Worked with a terrific doc who couldn't read his own handwriting! Most of the time I could, rest of the time I could get the Dx on the computer for context.

9 hours ago, MO Fugga said:

My cursive and signature are so awful people think I'm a doctor. I **** you not, at just 45, I never really learned to write cursive. Got by without really having to, and haven't done so since probably 5th grade.

Poor handwriting in cursive is nothing new. Look at photo copies of old census records, Ellis Island immigration and the like. Explains some of the variations in last name spellings. 

• Thanks 1

An older lady (well, older than me) and I were talking about some of these things a while back, and about how many younger people have no clue how to do many of the things our generation and those before us took for granted. She said, "The bottom rungs have fallen off the ladder. They won't be able to get back there."

1 hour ago, Walt Longmire said:

An older lady (well, older than me) and I were talking about some of these things a while back, and about how many younger people have no clue how to do many of the things our generation and those before us took for granted. She said, "The bottom rungs have fallen off the ladder. They won't be able to get back there."

Some of the dystopian novels postulate that humanity drops back to subsistence level activities and can’t come back because all the easy access metals and energy have been harvested and used up.