Gotta Love Zoomers!

Maser

A long while ago,  I was wandering around a drugstore (?) and the guy finally asked what I was looking for.  "Do you have any watchbands?"

"Huh?"

"A watchband."

"Uhhhhhh... what's that?" 

"A band.  For holding a watch.  To your wrist."

"Uhhhhhhh....  I don't think we have those."

"OK.  Thanks."

57 minutes ago, Huaco Kid said:

A long while ago,  I was wandering around a drugstore (?) and the guy finally asked what I was looking for.  "Do you have any watchbands?"

"Huh?"

"A watchband."

"Uhhhhhh... what's that?" 

"A band.  For holding a watch.  To your wrist."

"Uhhhhhhh....  I don't think we have those."

"OK.  Thanks."

Not just watch bands. More and more “shop local” aka “shop small” is a futile effort. “Local” is paring down inventory to only items with rapid turnover and - ideally - high margin.

Your drug store didn’t have a $5 watch band, so you went to Amazon to order one. While there on Amazon you remembered you had intended to buy a fancy electronic blue tooth blood pressure tester at the drug store. So you checked Amazon’s offerings and bought it there. Oops.

I want to buy local. But after spending an afternoon checking places which I thought would stock the item I want and being repeatedly told “We don’t have that but we can order it for you,” I’m probably going to do my own ordering. And next time I may not even shop local.