Suez Canal Blocked

Batesmotel

On 3/24/2021 at 9:08 PM, Huaco Kid said:

I guess Egypt no longer has tens-of-thousands of laborers and no rope.

It probably could have been freed in half a day.

If brute force isn't working, it's because not enough of it is being used.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

7 hours ago, kerbie18 said:

You a Navy vet? (if so, then thank you for your service) I always wondered about our ships transiting the canal. Doesn't leave much room for a fight.

TY. I only went through once. Others had made the trip several times. It was an education. I didn't spend much time on ships.

Edited by LostinTexas
  • Like 2

The U.S. Navy will assist the Egyptian government in the operation to dig out a giant container ship currently stuck sideways in the Suez Canal.  

The MV Ever Given, owned by the Japanese firm Shoei Kisen KK, hit the bottom of the canal Tuesday.  
AD417EF4-FFF8-4BC5-A9AA-BF1584351F19.thumb.jpeg.105ccdf39fbbc6ff71705e9540d7e93c.jpeg
https://www.foxnews.com/world/navy-team-suez-canal-dig-out-massive-ship-blocking-passage

I'm kinda surprised they haven’t started pulling containers off to lighten it. 

Edited by Dric902

47 minutes ago, Dric902 said:

I'm kinda surprised they haven’t started pulling containers off to lighten it. 

They are pumping fuel oil and water out currently to lighten.

The weight of a US gallon of bunker oil can range between 6.4 lb and 8 lb.

Edited by pipedreams
  • Like 2

42 minutes ago, Dric902 said:

jeez, just askin

Plenty of ships with cranes. 

but I guess fuel and water would be more effective. 

The size of that ship is probably not fathomable unless you are there. Even at that, I've seen drill ships that were near the size, and they were just amazing, even a mile away. Sinking it isn't an option, in any sort of the imagination, as someone hopefully said in jest.

The only practical way to get containers off would be a ship. The size of a ship to do this with this one, is probably not out there. If it were, it probably wouldn't fit in the canal, and even then, no way to get it over the beached ship. Remember, the size of the Evergreen is enormous.

It appears to be in a rather remote section of the canal, and heavy equipment is special, anywhere, but for use in wet ground to several feet of water is just a nightmare. They probably can't even reach under it from the shore line. Liquid ballast is the most feasible piece of the puzzle to remove.

It isn't a bad question, just hard to wrap one's mind around the size of the problem.

• Like 3

The Ever Given cargo carrier which ran aground on the banks of the Suez Canal has moved for the first time in five days - as authorities today admitted 'human error' may be to blame for the blockage.  

Osama Rabie, Egypt's Suez Canal Authority chief, confirmed efforts to dislodge the container ship from the critical trade route had allowed for its stern and rudder to move, adding he could not predict when it would be refloated. 

He said he remained hopeful that a dredging operation could free the Ever Given without having to resort to removing its cargo to lighten it. Mr Rabie added strong tides and winds were complicating efforts to free it.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9409003/Moment-Given-crashed-Suez-Canal-caught-video.html
8C359398-471C-42A6-94FA-354ADB89B24C.jpeg.29b9cea75e48b0a004e7670d80b8e4d5.jpegA09DA6CD-8792-405F-A057-48E55F047883.jpeg.606ee28d68c062e7ed3baec58fc4452a.jpeg79922FCC-D0FA-465F-873E-9CB80F6A3A70.jpeg.3a654ecf130233a251cc28d092a2e732.jpeg

• Like 1