Obsolete calibers that would be nice to see come back

jmohme

I was just on Collectors Firearms web site and ran across a Ruger Hawkeye 256 Winchester Magnum. I have a Contender barrel in that chambering. Great flat shooting small game caliber

ruger-hawkeye-256-magnum-pr50083.jpg

I cant help but think that if Ruger would have built an actual 6 shot revolver from the ground up for this round instead of converting a single action revolver to a single shot, the 256 win mag might have taken hold.

I think a GP100 in the caliber would be a sweet gun. I would buy one.

Edited by jmohme

On 1/22/2021 at 9:34 AM, jmohme said:

I was just on Collectors Firearms web site and ran across a Ruger Hawkeye 256 Winchester Magnum. I have a Contender barrel in that chambering. Great flat shooting small game caliber

ruger-hawkeye-256-magnum-pr50083.jpg

I cant help but think that if Ruger would have built an actual 6 shot revolver from the ground up for this round instead of converting a single action revolver to a single shot, the 256 win mag might have taken hold.

I think a GP100 in the caliber would be a sweet gun. I would buy one.

Problem with bottleneck cartridges in a revolver is that high pressure loads can stretch the brass back to the frame and bind up the rotation. 

12.7mm Pontifico--the Remington Rolling Block rifles obtained for the Papal Zouaves were chambered for a 12mm centerfire cartridge which used a rimmed, straight-walled case 45mm long loaded with 62 grains of blackpowder and topped with a 480-grain lead bullet.

Should be great for re-killing the undead.

This round was made for the Vatican.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Valmet said:

I’ve always been an avid fan of the .308 Norma Magnum. It’s actually slightly more capable than a .300 Win Mag if you reload. 

I found a loaded round of .308 Norma on a landing when I was hunting deer as a kid. I was impressed just looking at it. We were mostly hunting with lever actions in .30-30 or .32 Special. One of us was usually even packing one of Dad's Savages in .22 Hi Power.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Walt Longmire said:

I found a loaded round of .308 Norma on a landing when I was hunting deer as a kid. I was impressed just looking at it. We were mostly hunting with lever actions in .30-30 or .32 Special. One of us was usually even packing one of Dad's Savages in .22 Hi Power.

Norma introduced it in 1960 but between importing rifles and ammo for it, it took a few years and by 1963 Winchester had introduced the .300 WM so the 308 Norma fell largely by the wayside. 

Just get a GP100 6 inch in .327 Federal Magnum. Accepts 5 calibers, a relaoders dream and the .327 gets very close to .357 Magnum levels due to higher chamber pressure.

If we want Ruger to make odd ball caliber guns, buying a .327 is a good start. I got 2 in that caliber, best revolver caliber IMO.

c1d440c7517bda50bd24a4962872bd95.jpg

Edited by crockett
  • Like 1

.38-40  Winchester 

When Tom Horn was brought in, he carried a pistol chambered in .38-40.

The.38-40 Winchester is actually a.40 caliber cartridge shooting.401 caliber bullets. The cartridge was introduced by Winchester in 1874 and is derived from their.44-40 Winchester. This cartridge was introduced for rifles, but in its reintroduction for Cowboy Action Shooting it has seen some popularity as a revolver cartridge.

180 Grain projectile -- 1160 fps -- 538 foot pounds

675px-38-40_WCF_Sp.JPG

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Dric902 said:

I would love to see some revival in the 45 Colt. Beyond cowboy action and lever guns 

great round, lots of room between the cowboy loads and a 454 Casull

Its around mostly with us pistol hunters. My 45 Redhawk is my "Pig-Hammer."

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Walt Longmire said:

I have a Redhawk in ,45 Colt. I load it close to .454 specs. 

The RedHawk was used for proof-of-concept for the Casull.  

They drilled out the cylinder to 454.  Put her in a safety box. And turned one loose.  Gun didn't care.  65k psi.

After several rounds of this, step next is blue pill loads at 85k-90k psi.  That's when she had a catastrophic disassemble.  

9 minutes ago, Rellik said:

Its around mostly with us pistol hunters. My 45 Redhawk is my "Pig-Hammer."

I would have no problem with an L frame five shot with good self defense ammo. Smith makes the 44 mag like that.

‘maybe if the ammo makers were to drive the bus, the makers would ride.

4 hours ago, Dric902 said:

I would have no problem with an L frame five shot with good self defense ammo. Smith makes the 44 mag like that.

‘maybe if the ammo makers were to drive the bus, the makers would ride.

If I could do it over, I'd buy that 5 shot L-frame.  The L frame fits better in my small hands.  

Several years ago at the Dallas Safari club conference, I talked to the Ruger people about making a 5 shot  GP 100, 41, with a 5" bbl.  

Shortly thereafter, Smith came out with their 5 shot 44.  

• Like 1

21 hours ago, crockett said:

Just get a GP100 6 inch in .327 Federal Magnum. Accepts 5 calibers, a relaoders dream and the .327 gets very close to .357 Magnum levels due to higher chamber pressure.

If we want Ruger to make odd ball caliber guns, buying a .327 is a good start. I got 2 in that caliber, best revolver caliber IMO.

Always thought pistols chambered in .327 were VERY interesting.   Five cals in one.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Walt Longmire said:

I have a Redhawk in ,45 Colt. I load it close to .454 specs. 

Rossi offered its Model 92 in 454 as well as 45 Colt. The 454 version when it shows up on GunBroker is usually 50% to 100% more than its 45 stablemate. I’ve wondered what beyond chamber depth and roll marking is the difference.