Obsolete calibers that would be nice to see come back

jmohme

2 hours ago, Historian said:

There was more than one made, right?

Even plural, a revolver is not a pistol anymore. We don't live 200 years ago.

"Revolvers Are Not Pistols, Pistols Are Not Revolvers"

"Pistols are handguns with one or more stationary chambers. Revolvers are handguns that use multiple rotating chambers. Don’t use them interchangeably."

Differences Between Revolvers and Pistols

https://crimefictionbook.com/2015/10/22/revolver-pistol-differences/#:~:text=Revolvers Are Not Pistols%2C Pistols Are Not Revolvers&text=That's because there's an historic,are a type of pistol.

20 minutes ago, crockett said:

"Pistols are handguns with one or more stationary chambers. Revolvers are handguns that use multiple rotating chambers. Don’t use them interchangeably."

You make an interesting point.  I happen to agree and have used the words correctly in the past.  I suspect i have become sloppy in my word choice.

Words specific meanings.  

And, if i may ask,  how do you, know i am not 200 years old....and thusly the nature of my word choice reflects that?

Edited by Historian
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Historian said:

You make an interesting point.  I happen to agree and have used the words correctly in the past.  I suspect i have become sloppy in my word choice.

Words specific meanings.  

And, if i may ask,  how do you, know i am not 200 years old....and thusly the nature of my word choice reflects that?

You get a pass old man :tbo:

9 hours ago, crockett said:

Differences Between Revolvers and Pistols

https://crimefictionbook.com/2015/10/22/revolver-pistol-differences/#:~:text=Revolvers Are Not Pistols%2C Pistols Are Not Revolvers&text=That's because there's an historic,are a type of pistol.

Revolvers are pistols but not all pistols are revolvers. Revolvers are a subset of pistols that were designed and marketed and accepted as pistols several decades prior to the development and marketing of the first semi automatic pistols.

I prefer basing it on accepted historical precedent rather than allowing the BATFE (formed in 1972 during a reorganization of the US Dept of Treasury)  or Benjamin Sobieck (who I presume was likely born in the late 20th century, in any case well after Samuel Colt) redefine what Samuel Colt ( born in 1814) defined as accepted nomenclature going back to the 1830s.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, 26isbest said:

Revolvers are pistols but not all pistols are revolvers. Revolvers are a subset of pistols that were designed and marketed and accepted as pistols several decades prior to the development and marketing of the first semi automatic pistols.

I prefer basing it on accepted historical precedent rather than allowing the BATFE (formed in 1972 during a reorganization of the US Dept of Treasury)  or Benjamin Sobieck (who I presume was likely born in the late 20th century, in any case well after Samuel Colt) redefine what Samuel Colt ( born in 1814) defined as accepted nomenclature going back to the 1830s.

Problem is, you will take that opinion with you one day, and the current nomenclature will remain.

While I'm no fan of this, things - including definitions - do change over time. Just a matter of reality. And when the Dems are done with the republic, we can call ourselves lucky if we can keep collectable revolvers.

On 2/5/2021 at 8:40 PM, Dric902 said:

I would love to see some revival in the 45 Colt. Beyond cowboy action and lever guns 

great round, lots of room between the cowboy loads and a 454 Casull

I understand why 400 CorBon didn't take off, but it was and is a fantastic round.

I want a 45 Colt lever and revolver so bad I can't stand myself.

1 hour ago, crockett said:

Problem is, you will take that opinion with you one day, and the current nomenclature will remain.

While I'm no fan of this, things - including definitions - do change over time. Just a matter of reality. And when the Dems are done with the republic, we can call ourselves lucky if we can keep collectable revolvers.

Well this never ceased being a pistol. And Bruce Jenner is still an XY chromosome male.

Colt 1855 Rootes.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Nestor said:

38/200 for a wheelgun. I think it would make an excellent introduction round with very little recoil. Properly loaded it would make a decent defensive round for the seniors and ladies as well, nearly on level with 38 Special.

I have a S&W Victory chambered for that round.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Nestor said:

38/200 for a wheelgun. I think it would make an excellent introduction round with very little recoil. Properly loaded it would make a decent defensive round for the seniors and ladies as well, nearly on level with 38 Special.

I had a 38-180. Couldn’t hit a thing with it. Then I measured the barrel. About.398 caliber. Corrosive ammo did a number on it. Still a fun gun.  

• Like 1

On 2/5/2021 at 8:02 PM, minervadoe said:

.38-40  Winchester 

When Tom Horn was brought in, he carried a pistol chambered in .38-40.

180 Grain projectile -- 1160 fps -- 538 foot pounds

675px-38-40_WCF_Sp.JPG

That's the rifle velocity not the pistol velocity. Pistol velocity is the same as the 40 S&W although it has enough case capacity to be loaded as hot as a 10mm auto in something like an N-Frame S&W or Ruger Blackhawk. In fact, Ruger made a 38-40 Blackhawk with a spare 10mm cylinder. Another thing that most people don't know is that in a strong pistol a 32-20 has enough case capacity to equal 327 federal velocities in something like a Blackhawk or a GP-100.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/23/2021 at 3:20 PM, Borg warner said:

That's the rifle velocity not the pistol velocity. Pistol velocity is the same as the 40 S&W although it has enough case capacity to be loaded as hot as a 10mm auto in something like an N-Frame S&W or Ruger Blackhawk. In fact, Ruger made a 38-40 Blackhawk with a spare 10mm cylinder. Another thing that most people don't know is that in a strong pistol a 32-20 has enough case capacity to equal 327 federal velocities in something like a Blackhawk or a GP-100.

Didn’t Ruger release a “Single Six” with six shots in .32 up to the .32 magnum? And didn’t they offer it with a .32-20 cylinder once in a while? Wonder if that revolver could be safely chambered for the .327?

On 2/23/2021 at 12:20 PM, Borg warner said:

You can swap cylinders with a .41 Long Colt also.

• 3 months later...