Denmark's final "cure" for Downs syndrome.

Silentpoet

You are surprised?  You know they do the same thing here in the US right?  What do you think an amniocentesis is for?  We did not do one for either kid.  I asked the purpose and the doc said "so you know if they are likely to have problems."  Okay, and then?  "Make choices."  That choice has been made, no point in the test.

A friend did the test and it came back likely for downs but they had the kid anyway and he did not have downs.

As far as I am concerned the #1 goal in life is to be happy (I am failing) and the happiest people I have ever met have had downs.

• Like 6

Fellers i actually work within the Right to Life movement (fund raising) and just helped raise about $64,000 for a women's pro-life clinic for a new ultrasound machine.

Our work is cut out for us.  But there's plenty of room for more to help save lives.

This twisted thinking...that some lives are worth more than others...is a crime against humanity as well as God.

There's plenty of work out there for us.  Lots of wonderful pro-life organizations would love to have you help.

I tell you:  The next step will be putting down the old.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Historian said:

Fellers i actually work within the Right to Life movement (fund raising) and just helped raise about $64,000 for a women's pro-life clinic for a new ultrasound machine.

Our work is cut out for us.  But there's plenty of room for more to help save lives.

This twisted thinking...that some lives are worth more than others...is a crime against humanity as well as God.

There's plenty of work out there for us.  Lots of wonderful pro-life organizations would love to have you help.

I tell you:  The next step will be putting down the old.

Bravo for your work on this. We need to do more in our household.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Brad said:

Bravo for your work on this. We need to do more in our household.

Thank you.  I didn't do it alone.   A lot of good men were involved.

The clinic i mentioned directly across the street for a major university with about 40,000 female students attending.   That's a rough estimate of the women's side of things at the university.  

We're saving lives every day.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, RenoF250 said:

You are surprised?  You know they do the same thing here in the US right?  What do you think an amniocentesis is for?  We did not do one for either kid.  I asked the purpose and the doc said "so you know if they are likely to have problems."  Okay, and then?  "Make choices."  That choice has been made, no point in the test.

A friend did the test and it came back likely for downs but they had the kid anyway and he did not have downs.

As far as I am concerned the #1 goal in life is to be happy (I am failing) and the happiest people I have ever met have had downs.

yeah, we were offered the test, too.  Our response was no, don't bother, because no answer would change our choice to have our kids.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Aktion T4 (German, pronounced [akˈtsi̯oːn teː fiːɐ]) refers to mass murder by involuntary euthanasia in Nazi Germany. The term was first used in post-war trials against doctors who had been involved in the killings.[4] The name T4 is an abbreviation of Tiergartenstraße 4, a street address of the Chancellery department set up in early 1940, in the Berlin borough of Tiergarten, which recruited and paid personnel associated with T4.[5][c] Certain German physicians were authorised to select patients "deemed incurably sick, after most critical medical examination" and then administer to them a "mercy death" (Gnadentod).[7]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aktion_T4

Edited by Historian
  • Like 1
  • Sad 2

Don't blame the Germans. An American, Margaret Sanger, started the euthanasia movement in the name of compassionate health. Ol' Adolf simply picked up on the concept. 

I've never understood why they want to kill the young, yet defend elderly dementia patients. I've watched two relatives descend and deal with dementia for decades - were it me, I'd end my life rather than not knowing who anyone was or what I am. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

By the way, that's hardly an unbiased or even attempting to be an objective examination of the debate. The death penalty is part of the sociological euthanasia debate; example - John Wayne Gacy was such a predatory killer / deviant "monster" that he was unfit for society, therefore it was in society's best interests to kill him to prevent his further crimes, further predations, to serve as an example to others concerning justice, and to preclude the possibility of offspring with similar tendencies.

The Left is willing to kill the innocent who've done nothing and defend the monsters among us - The Right wants infants to have opportunities to live and to destroy the deviant murderers among us. 

The debate about the sentience of life and at what point a fetus is viable is one that I am ignoring here, as are the issues with neonatal hypoxic-ischemic encephalopathy. Were I to father a child with HIE, I'd be rather inclined to terminate due to QOL and viability issues. 

1 hour ago, blueiron said:

I've never understood why they want to kill the young, yet defend elderly dementia patients. I've watched two relatives descend and deal with dementia for decades - were it me, I'd end my life rather than not knowing who anyone was or what I am. 

If only it was that simple.  The sad part is, you don't even know and you wouldn't be able to do it because you couldn't even think about it. You can't remember from one minute to the next when it's Really Bad.  I'm going thru it now with my 89 year old aunt.  Then, there's always the "Religious" Factor of taking your own life, if you're of that persuasion.

AND, god help ya when you're finally forced into doing something to "make them more comfortable", like "assisted Living".  Her memory comes back Real Strong for a few minutes, when I've ever mentioned "Retirement Facility".  There's certain things that will let ya know how far they have declined, and that Question is one of them.  I'm in the process of researching In Home Care.

It's not at all easy...Sometimes I pray..."Come on Lord, what are ya doin here, this is not in any way Quality of life." 

No, it's not easy.  If you don't "time" your "assistance" to the actual Need, you can end up being hated by the one you love and are trying to "Help".

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, Swampfox762 said:

If only it was that simple.  The sad part is, you don't even know and you wouldn't be able to do it because you couldn't even think about it. You can't remember from one minute to the next when it's Really Bad.  I'm going thru it now with my 89 year old aunt.  Then, there's always the "Religious" Factor of taking your own life, if you're of that persuasion.

AND, god help ya when you're finally forced into doing something to "make them more comfortable", like "assisted Living".  Her memory comes back Real Strong for a few minutes, when I've ever mentioned "Retirement Facility".  There's certain things that will let ya know how far they have declined, and that Question is one of them.  I'm in the process of researching In Home Care.

It's not at all easy...Sometimes I pray..."Come on Lord, what are ya doin here, this is not in any way Quality of life." 

No, it's not easy.  If you don't "time" your "assistance" to the actual Need, you can end up being hated by the one you love and are trying to "Help".

Sad but oh so true. In more lucid moments my mother would wonder why she was even still alive. 

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

My dad went to visit one of his old employees who was in a bad way with dementia. The employee always referred to my dad as "Father' since so many family members worked in the logging business. Anyway, dad walks into Don's house and he perks right up. "Father." They sat for quite some time telling logging and other stories. Don seemed as sharp as ever. After my dad left the family said he was right back to the dementia symptoms.

• Sad 2

1 hour ago, Walt Longmire said:

After my dad left the family said he was right back to the dementia symptoms.

I stopped by to check on a great aunt with dementia. She hadn’t recognized me for years. But for one brief moment she knew who I was but she thought I was there to see my grandmother who had died 20 years earlier. Then it was all gone in a flash. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, Swampfox762 said:

Sorry to hear of your issues.  I went through the same thing with my Mom.  She finally agreed to assisted living, and really it wasn't bad for her.  She had her own little apartment, with a separate bedroom.  Meals in the dining room, someone to regulate her meds.  At home she was going downhill fast, we finally got her into AL after a short stay in a nursing home.  She lived another 5 years, got to see her grandkids and great grandkids, spend Holidays with us.  I am convinced she would have slipped away much sooner if she had stayed at home.  

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Walt Longmire said:

My dad went to visit one of his old employees who was in a bad way with dementia. The employee always referred to my dad as "Father' since so many family members worked in the logging business. Anyway, dad walks into Don's house and he perks right up. "Father." They sat for quite some time telling logging and other stories. Don seemed as sharp as ever. After my dad left the family said he was right back to the dementia symptoms.

Yup.  There are "Flash" moments.  My Mom in law had a Great one couple weeks before she passed.  We were expecting it.

• Sad 1