WTF vehicles

NPTim

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Administrators
3 hours ago, janice6 said:

Ass end seems to be an ancestor of the Henry J.  Only worse.

A Henry J, if the Frogs built it. Why do we let the French design cars? They should stick to perfume and cheese and white swatches of cloth.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Eric said:

1D33582B-EFD0-4513-A28A-E162A09A98DC.jpeg

At first glance, I thought that this was a mid-1960s Alpine, but further research shows that it is not.

The ornament on the trunk in the 3/4 rear elevation almost looks like the Maserati trident and the automobile is reasonably attractive from that perspective, but the side elevation proves that it is not.

Points deducted for the fake knock-offs on the big chrome hub caps and the giant grills in the rear.

Imagine having to replace that rear glass. 

• Like 1

• Administrators
23 minutes ago, tous said:

At first glance, I thought that this was a mid-1960s Alpine, but further research shows that it is not.

The ornament on the trunk in the 3/4 rear elevation almost looks like the Maserati trident and the automobile is reasonably attractive from that perspective, but the side elevation proves that it is not.

Points deducted for the fake knock-offs on the big chrome hub caps and the giant grills in the rear.

Imagine having to replace that rear glass. 

It is a Willys Interlagos II, built in 1966. It was built by Willys-Overland (yep, that Willys-Overland) for the Brazilian market, in partnership with Renault. It was supposed to be a rebadged version of the Renault Alpine A108, so you were on the right track. It was offered for sale, but less than 1,000 were purchased and the project was cancelled. 

It looks even worse from the front.

14876739-BAF2-4725-8C6A-FF6EFA22AEAB.jpeg

• Like 2

• Administrators
1 minute ago, Eric said:

It is a Willys Interlagos II, built in 1966. It was built by Willys-Overland (yep, that Willys-Overland) for the Brazilian market, in partnership with Renault. It was supposed to be a rebadged version of the Renault Alpine A108, so you were on the right track. It was offered for sale, but less than 1,000 were purchased and the project was cancelled. 

It looks even worse from the front.

14876739-BAF2-4725-8C6A-FF6EFA22AEAB.jpeg

The perfect tail lights to compliment those headlights were built about about 38 years later:

32D14F9E-EBBF-4968-A37C-2545A133EB86.jpeg

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, Eric said:

4F4EEBA4-3A9F-44F3-940F-B0AC9622C0D6.jpeg

75557EF5-DD1C-4517-8B06-388013526372.jpeg

At first glace, given the semi-obscured triangular detail in the center of the grill and that the automobile is painted fire-engine red,  I concluded: Alpha Romeo.

But, even the Italians wouldn't put such ugly bumpers on a car.

The French, definitely would.

I have never heard of Lloyd and with moderate-effort research I couldn't even discover what country that automobile is from.

Even my old volumes of all of the automobiles manufactured in the last 100 years do not mention Lloyd or the Lloyd Alexander.

Minus the bizarre bumpers, it looks like European coupe of the era (1959.)

Edited to add: further research indicates that it was built in Germany; given the time, one must assume that it was the Federal Republic of Germany (West Germany) and not the German Democratic Republic (East Germany.)

I wonder how many young'uns born after 1990 even realize that there were two Germanys, much less the Soviet Union and Iron curtain countries.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Eric said:

301374893_442048457969180_6069071836646037324_n.jpg

Wow! Just WOW!!!

Under everything is an early Vespa motor scooter circa late 1940s. With sidesaddle seating for a [presumably] female passenger. Looks like a flip up roof on the side car which should have a windshield somewhere. Wondering how much if anything beyond the core scooter came from the Vespa factory. 

• Like 2