WTF vehicles

NPTim

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Administrators
11 minutes ago, tous said:

At first glace, one would conclude that only the French can make an automobile that ugly, but Fiat managed to out-ugly the French.

Yep, the Eyetalians pulled it off this time, didn't they? Fiat has made quite a few bizarre vehicles over the decades, but they have made some beautiful ones too. This ain't one of them. If Stewie, from Family Guy was an Italian car, this is the one he would be, with a disproportionately wide face and a bit gay.

180310-fallon-stewie-lede_y4a6k7.gif

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Eric said:

Yep, the Eyetalians pulled it off this time, didn't they? Fiat has made quite a few bizarre vehicles over the decades, but they have made some beautiful ones too. This ain't one of them. If Stewie, from Family Guy was an Italian car, this is the one he would be, with a disproportionately wide face and a bit gay.

180310-fallon-stewie-lede_y4a6k7.gif

Is being “a bit gay” anything like being “a bit pregnant”?

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

14 hours ago, Eric said:

808E2D08-38A8-4E0B-8121-BCD8F002615C.jpeg

5E8D97F1-D393-4A9B-AB03-FB8C2BC7FF14.jpeg

C7E858FD-36A0-42AE-BCBE-5BBBE284435B.jpeg

That looks Fordish.

It has to be from the mid-1950s when everything had a space or supersonic aircraft theme.

Hate the headers coming out of the fenders.

Hate the pasted on scoops on the rear quarter even more.

And ... it's orange.

Bertone or Ghia?

• Like 1

• Administrators
37 minutes ago, tous said:

That looks Fordish.

It has to be from the mid-1950s when everything had a space or supersonic aircraft theme.

Hate the headers coming out of the fenders.

Hate the pasted on scoops on the rear quarter even more.

And ... it's orange.

Bertone or Ghia?

I don't know. That is a Lincoln that could drive me to drinking though.

• Like 3

I did some research.

The designer of the orange weirdness was Carrozzeria Boano, a feller i have never heard of.

If we think about it, the 1950s must have been a wonderful time for automobile designers, especially the Italians.

Lots of work, few constraints.

Just go crazy, paisan.

• Like 3

• Administrators
8 minutes ago, tous said:

I did some research.

The designer of the orange weirdness was Carrozzeria Boano, a feller i have never heard of.

If we think about it, the 1950s must have been a wonderful time for automobile designers, especially the Italians.

Lots of work, few constraints.

Just go crazy, paisan.

Yeah, that was true then of designers and engineers in a lot of fields. Huge technological advances were made in the war and even in most of the conquered countries, the fifties became a time of optimism and abundance. Anything seemed possible. 

• Like 4

Indeed.

The post-war and early space exploration era must have been danged exciting for engineers, especially electrical engineers.

They went from tubes and sockets to transistors, wired chassis to printed circuit boards and even the beginnings of integrated circuit technology.

It must have seemed like their whole world and everything that they knew was suddenly turned upside down.

Didn't seem to stop anyone from making ugly automobiles, though.

Side note.  When I enrolled in college in 1968 and declared my major as chemical engineering, all of the university big-wigs told me that there was no future in engineering or science; everything had been discovered, everything had been designed and built.  My best option was the business, medical or law school.

I stopped listening to experts about then and haven't believed them since. :biggrin:

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 8/13/2022 at 6:50 PM, Schmidt Meister said:

Somebody drove this to a Volkswagen show ... I mean it is a VW ... almost.

Volkswagen - 1:2 - 1.jpg

Volkswagen - 1:2 - 2.jpg

Volkswagen - 1:2 - 3.jpg

Many, MANY years ago I "built" a few Dune buggys using the "frame" (floor) of a VW and a fiberglass body

There were about 20 bolts attaching the body to the floor....I lifted right off....The floor was then cut and 

shortened by 12" IIRC......... Great fun

• Like 3