WTF vehicles

NPTim

On 4/12/2024 at 3:00 PM, Eric said:

This is a 1948 Crosley Gassporter aircraft refueling tanker vehicle.

33937627-1948-crosley-automobile-std.jpg

139992748.jpg

Honestly that looks cool, not WTF.  As it is a highly specialized vehicle normal car standards of WTF do not apply.

• Like 3

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
39 minutes ago, Batesmotel said:

No problem. Until he tries to stop. Saw a Jeep pulling a 25 foot sailboat. It didn’t end well. 

Every once in a while on the HMMWV pages we get people that ask about towing.

Last week it was someone looking for info on how to tow their boat.

Some advice was given about different hitch types and different ways of doing the wiring, some of it kind of dumb but not fatally so, just wasted money mostly.

Then after I mentioned a couple things and said part of it depends on what they are looking to tow, it came out that they weren't looking to tow a bayliner or other small boat, but wanted to tow a 29 foot boat weighing about 10k lbs or more when it's loaded.

Nobody even makes a hitch rated for that much for the HMMWV or the H1 trucks.  Was even worse that they didn't even have one of the newer trucks with a turbo motor and a 4 speed, but an early truck without the turbo and only a 3 speed.  

Early trucks were rated to tow 3400 lbs, and the truck was limited to 7700 lbs.  the heavy version they made of it was 10,300 lbs truck and 4200 trailer, or 14,500 combined.  The H1 civilian trucks were only rated to 14,500.

And they want to tow a boat with trailer that was easily 12k+ lbs behind their HMMWV, in Hawaii.  Without worrying about trailer brakes as they said they didn't really need them. (legally required over 3k lbs trailer weight)  trailer for the boat was apparently like 36 feet long.

So they wanted to tow a $200k boat with a truck they picked up for around $15k, not designed for even 1/3 of that load, and without trailer brakes, on islands known for roads being less than level, with only 150hp and a 3 speed transmission.

I'm hoping they got the point of what I said to them, if not hopefully they don't kill anyone else when they lose control.

I won't say that I strictly obey all the weight ratings that are on the truck when I tow a trailer with it, but I did make sure to have the heaviest hitch I could buy, and a proper brake controller before I towed anything with mine.  Besides, I have an F450 if I need to tow heavy.