WTF vehicles

NPTim

2 hours ago, Eric said:

fd8000f67c8dc4c52e714d4a50447041.webp

Other than the odd headlight arrangement, that automobile has some potential to be pleasing to the eye.

Probably European, French or Italian, I'm leaning French, mid- to late-1950s.

Any pictures of other elevations?

• Like 2

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Administrators
3 hours ago, tous said:

Other than the odd headlight arrangement, that automobile has some potential to be pleasing to the eye.

Probably European, French or Italian, I'm leaning French, mid- to late-1950s.

Any pictures of other elevations?

That’s the only pic I could find and it had no info with it. FWIW, that pic was taken a week or two ago at the Pebble Beach Concours. The car was there and may be mentioned in someone’s coverage of the event.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Eric said:

That’s the only pic I could find and it had no info with it. FWIW, that pic was taken a week or two ago at the Pebble Beach Concours. The car was there and may be mentioned in someone’s coverage of the event.

It is a Talbot-Lago Grand Sport, circa 1947.

Got the French part right.

The rest of the automobile is nowhere near as potentially attractive as the front of it is.

Go to Cars.

https://pebblebeachconcours.net/cars/features/

• Thanks 2

• Administrators
4 minutes ago, tous said:

The rest of the automobile is nowhere near as potentially attractive as the front of it is.

Go to Cars.

Good job! Talbot-Lago built some interesting cars in their day, but their time had come and gone by 1947. :599c64bfb50b0_wavey1:

• Like 2

• Administrators
22 minutes ago, tous said:

Go to Cars.

My father was an attendee at Pebble Beach for many years. He worked on and help to show cars there for a couple of car collections. He always loved attending. He just missed helping to achieve a top score for the Duesenberg pictured below, when Jerry Moore owned it. The car once belonged to Greta Garbo. The Duesenberg was fitted with an altimeter and when the judges inspected the car, it registered an elevation of something like 2,500 feet above sea level. As you can see from the Pebble Beach pics, they are quite obviously AT (or slightly above) sea level there, so… :greensupergrin: The car still showed very well and won its class.

I’ve driven around in that car a couple of times. It is a magnificent machine.

E6D74D8C-33AC-40B5-A5D3-40A642C4EF0B.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

That automobile (the Talbot-Lago)  has very nice lines from the front to the windscreen.

From the windscreen aft is like a child finished the styling with a crayon.

There is no good style reason for that shape of the side windows and the fastback-type rear is not done well at all.

• Thanks 1

• Administrators
7 minutes ago, tous said:

That automobile (the Talbot-Lago)  has very nice lines from the front to the windscreen.

There is no good style reason for that shape of the side windows and the fastback-type rear is not done well at all.

Yeah, they always did unusual things with hatch and window shapes.

9F2AB0D0-0645-4A1C-AF36-CB695E9A930A.png

• Like 4

• Administrators
20 minutes ago, tous said:

The Talbot-Logo you identified is an evolution of this model, which is one the classiest-looking pre-war cars Europe produced. The later design stayed loyal to the car’s heritage.

D3CED444-4BA2-40F0-8FBD-1DCF2D0CD1F6.jpeg

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Eric said:

That sounds like the consensus of my Yelp date reviews.

You don't want to talk to me about dating...granted it was about 40 years ago, I have forgotten most of the hundreds of dates I went out on...

BUT, I did not quit, and now I have a lovely lady in my life for the last 30 years..

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• Administrators
50 minutes ago, Batesmotel said:

Getting run over by that would be like getting hit with a giant cookie cutter. 

Yeah, I thought about that too. At least the bits that it sectioned off of you would have clean edges and be easy to reattach.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• Administrators

Seriously. WTF? It looks like there is at least part of a Jeep under there. Was this a case of some motor pool guys with too much time on their hands and access to tools (and probably alcohol)?

613F895E-39BE-49A5-887E-85FECBBE5A2D.jpeg

• Haha 4