There is no such thing as enough...

TXUSMC

Happened upon a thread on another site about a guy asking about putting a compensator on a Glock 43X. This was not long after I read about someone else complaining that the 43 and the 43X had no rail for a light. And then there's the guys who want a name-your-number round magazine for the 43X, because by God, 10 rounds just won't cut it.

People... it's a short barreled, single stack CCW handgun, not a pocket gun, but a very easily concealable handgun. Want the capabilities for a duty gun? Buy a Glock 17. 

For the better part of a century, maybe longer, Americans made due with 6 shot revolvers and a semi-auto pistol which had a 7 round magazine. During that period, we used those handguns to kill a helluva lotta Native Americans, Mexicans, Cubans, Spaniards, Chinese Boxers, Germans, Japanese, Italians,  North Koreans, Red Chinese, and North Vietnamese, and assorted guerrillas from Haiti, Nicaragua,  the Philippines,  the Dominican Republic, and God knows where else. We won the Cold War while carrying those handguns. Built the Panama Canal. Put a man on the moon (so many times we got bored doing it). Hell, we killed a whole bunch of our own, in that Blue vs. Gray fight. Not to mention Mafiosos, gangsters, and various and assorted other criminals. No zombies have been killed... none.

While modern technology has given us handguns with greater magazine capacity and an endless number of accessories, nobody should feel undergunned with any of today's choices. Outside of a war zone, where a handgun is considered a sidearm, you just don't often (ever?) read about anybody-- especially a citizen legally carrying a concealed weapon--  running out of ammo in a gunfight. If you happen to get into a gunfight, statistics (from the FBI) indicate that you and the bad guy will fire an average of 3-5 rounds... total. 

Yet, our obsession with magazine capacity continues unabated. I guess it's good we have options. My $.02.

Edited by TXUSMC
punctuation
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 4

14 minutes ago, TXUSMC said:

Happened upon a thread on another site about a guy asking about putting a compensator on a Glock 43X. This was not long after I read about someone else complaining that the 43 and the 43X had no rail for a light. And then there's the guys who want a name-your-number round magazine for the 43X, because by God, 10 rounds just won't cut it.

People... it's a short barreled, single stack CCW handgun, not a pocket gun, but a very easily concealable handgun. Want the capabilities for a duty gun? Buy a Glock 17. 

For the better part of a century, maybe longer, Americans made due with 6 shot revolvers and a semi-auto pistol which had a 7 round magazine. During that period, we used those handguns to kill a helluva lotta Native Americans, Mexicans, Cubans, Spaniards, Chinese Boxers, Germans, Japanese, Italians,  North Koreans, Red Chinese, and North Vietnamese, and assorted guerrillas from Haiti, Nicaragua,  the Philippines,  the Dominican Republic, and God knows where else. We won the Cold War while carrying those handguns. Built the Panama Canal. Put a man on the moon (so many times we got bored doing it). Hell, we killed a whole bunch of our own, in that Blue vs. Gray fight. Not to mention Mafiosos, gangsters, and various and assorted other criminals. No zombies have been killed... none.

While modern technology has given us handguns with greater magazine capacity and an endless number of accessories, nobody should feel undergunned with any of today's choices. Outside of a war zone, where a handgun is considered a sidearm, you just don't often (ever?) read about anybody-- especially a citizen legally carrying a concealed weapon--  running out of ammo in a gunfight. If you happen to get into a gunfight, statistics (from the FBI) indicate that you and the bad guy will fire an average of 3-5 rounds... total. 

Yet, our obsession with magazine capacity continues unabated. I guess it's good we have options. My $.02.

I carry with a reasonable...21 rounds of .45. 2 mags.  Any situation I am involved in, will be me, hopefully, neutralizing any immediate threat and retreating...

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Swampfox762 said:

I carry with a reasonable...21 rounds of .45. 2 mags.  Any situation I am involved in, will be me, hopefully, neutralizing any immediate threat and retreating...

I try to carry what I perceive I may be threatened by.

Today's threat are numbers.  Yesterday's threat are what you carried also.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/16/2020 at 6:19 PM, TXUSMC said:

My first auto pistol was a MK IV Series 70 and I still really like my P239s. But a Glock 26, or occasionally a 27, is what I usually have.

On 9/16/2020 at 7:14 PM, Historian said:

When i'm not at work:  Most of the time a five shot .357 magnum.

10 rounds of spare ammunition.

Yeah, I really like my 3" SP101 and will occasionally put my 642 in my pajama pocket if I have to take a quick trip to my car very early in the morning. 

I'm glad that I got into shooting back when revolvers and single stack autos were considered good and useful. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, 26isbest said:

My first auto pistol was a MK IV Series 70 and I still really like my P239s. But a Glock 26, or occasionally a 27, is what I usually have.

Yeah, I really like my 3" SP101 and will occasionally put my 642 in my pajama pocket if I have to take a quick trip to my car very early in the morning. 

I'm glad that I got into shooting back when revolvers and single stack autos were considered good and useful. 

Revolvers and single stacks still have a place.   When i go heavier it's normally a Colt Commander.  Not saying i don't like higher capacity things.  Just saying i know what i can shoot the best.  Each person has to figure out their place, i guess.

642 is a great little gun.  I went to lunch with some guys from work yesterday and that was what i had on.   It's a totally practical firearm.  Like your 3 inch sp 101.

Mrs. Historian carries a model 60 three inch.   A very fine pistol.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, JHB said:

This says it all. Get off the couch and internet and practice. A training course will do wonders also.

Bates is an old guy that knows what he's doing.  His comment was a snarcy joke.  Cheers!

Edited by Rellik
  • Like 1

On 9/16/2020 at 8:19 PM, TXUSMC said:

I'll bet this lady wished she had some more ammo, a stronger round, and a lot of things. She seemed to have made some good hits, it stopped the advance but could have ended differently. Intruder shot five times 

There are plenty of times these sorts of things happen, you do need to look for them because the Nooz Mafia doesn't want to tell you that a gun might not be the end all effective tool. IIRC the average handgun stop is 3, (2.5 maybe). 

In this day and time, I'd dare to say your assessment of carry capacity is a little weak, and I live in an area not so effected by the headlines of today.

You can barbie anything all you want to show off for your friends. I'm surprised people don't take the Minnie Pearl approach and leave the price tag hanging at times. Your "Modern Technology" doesn't pan out in a situation every time and the last one standing with ammo won. If you think there is a trophy for second place, pick your coffin.

YMMV

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rellik said:

Bates is an old guy that knows what he's doing.  His comment was a snarcy joke.  Cheers!

His comment was absolute gospel. Learning to shoot is one thing, learning to shoot under duress, especially the kind in a two way gallery is a whole other ball game. 

I love the marksmen comments that filter through, though. ?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, LostinTexas said:

His comment was absolute gospel. Learning to shoot is one thing, learning to shoot under duress, especially the kind in a two way gallery is a whole other ball game. 

I love the marksmen comments that filter through, though. ?

And it's a skill that goes away fast if you don't practice.   Ten years ago i was putting 5 to 8,000 rounds a year down range.    And...got pretty good.  I don't spend that much time on the range and training anymore.  Things changed.   My skill are still good...but not as good as they once were.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Historian said:

And it's a skill that goes away fast if you don't practice.   Ten years ago i was putting 5 to 8,000 rounds a year down range.    And...got pretty good.  I don't spend that much time on the range and training anymore.  Things changed.   My skill are still good...but not as good as they once were.

Yea, that is a real thing. The trouble is people"plan" to rise to the occasion. The only thing you can really "plan" on is falling to the lowest level of training. I'm one of the minority who don't believe range time does a whole lot for you in a bad situation. It certainly doesn't hurt, but most like to target shoot and either don't, or don't know there is a different way to train.

The good part is, lots of people every year successfully defend themselves even though they have little training and even less of a plan.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Rounds don't always stop attackers.   Misses happen.  Bad guys run in packs.  Engagements may follow in sequence.  Antifa is a great example of why 5 rounds in a snub revolver probably isn't enough anymore.

My solution is a Glock 33 in 357Sig, 12 rounds on-board and eleven more on tap in a spare magazine,  always.  Spare mags aren't just about capacity; the magazine is the heart of your weapon and a spare is a redundant feed system if your original mag fails.  

Carry what you want, live and die by your choices.  But I don't believe snub revolvers and mini-guns with a single small cap magazine are wise choices.

20200323_101336.jpg

Edited by Gunboat1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Gunboat1 said:

Rounds don't always stop attackers.   Misses happen.  Bad guys run in packs.  Engagements may follow in sequence.  Antifa is a great example of why 5 rounds in a snub revolver probably isn't enough anymore.

My solution is a Glock 33 in 357Sig, 12 rounds on-board and eleven more on tap in a spare magazine,  always.  Spare mags aren't just about capacity; the magazine is the heart of your weapon and a spare is a redundant feed system if your original mag fails.  

Carry what you want, live and die by your choices.  But I don't believe snub revolvers and mini-guns with a single small cap magazine are wise choices.

20200323_101336.jpg

I agree.  I believe you should have an ammo capacity that's commensurate with the number, and the capacity of the threats you have.

Today's tactic by bad guys is to overwhelm by numbers, and for that, 6 rounds isn't adequate.

Back when everybody carried 6 rounds (1911 and or revolvers) and the threat was primarily one on one, you would be on even ground. ( I don't like even, I like superiority)

My choice is a G41 +20 more.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, janice6 said:

I agree.  I believe you should have an ammo capacity that's commensurate with the number, and the capacity of the threats you have.

Today's tactic by bad guys is to overwhelm by numbers, and for that, 6 rounds isn't adequate.

Back when everybody carried 6 rounds (1911 and or revolvers) and the threat was primarily one on one, you would be on even ground. ( I don't like even, I like superiority)

My choice is a G41 +20 more.

Example:  around here I carry G-26 with no backup mag.   When the kids lived in detroit I carried the G-26 and had a G-19 in the glovebox with 2 backup G-17 mags.

Everything depends on known threats...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 years later...
  • Administrators

Not for all of us. I carry with 29 rounds on me. Eight in the grip, one in the pipe and two ten-round spares in the pocket. I've had more than a few people turn up their noses at my method of pocket mag carry, but many of those people didn't carry a spare mag at all, because the 'approved' method of carrying one wasn't convenient for them. Anyway, if you shoot something 29 times with a .45ACP and it is still moving, it is probably a dragon.

KimberCarry.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2