Funerals are expensive, broken and exploitative. They have to change

TBO

29 minutes ago, railfancwb said:

Actually I think “natural burials” which is what you describe are allowed some places. Maybe California. No embalming or other chemicals for preservation. Only natural fiber shroud (wrapping) - cotton, wool, linen, etc. no casket or other container. Usually no marker or monument, but maybe a cemetery map showing your plot. 

They are in parts of Utah but not the county I want to buried in.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Paul53 said:

Probably unworkable, but would like my ashes scattered around the entrance to Jennifer Anistons home.

If you paid extra, they could co-mingle your ashes with hers after she dies, and you could get your other wish.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

14 hours ago, holyjohnson said:

find a friend with a lake, "Cremated Privately" is what the Documents should read.

you can Thank me in Valhalla..

I am less concerned about where and how than with enough meed is on hand for both myself and others.

• Like 3

17 hours ago, Mrs.Cicero said:

I think I've said this here before, but I won't care since I'll be dead, but I think it would be nice to be cremated, and have my family scatter my ashes in all my favorite backpacking places. (I'm sure this is illegal since they are National Parks, Monuments, and Forests, but I frankly don't care)... anyway, Glacier National Park, Dixie National Forest, Badlands, painted Desert, Black Canyon of the Gunnison,  Mt St Helens.  After a month of trekking around tossing my ashes in all the pretty places, they should be happy to get home and get on with their lives.

THIS. No service, please.

Leave my ashes on the back side of Sprague Lake in Rocky, maybe some more of them at Wonder Lake in Denali. The rest can go in the back yard, for all I care.

• Like 3

Cremation for me, then burial in a national military cemetery. Wake will be at the American Legion hall. I will ask for funny stories good memories to be shared... no tears. Celebrating a life seems better than mourning a death. As the saying goes, it's not how you died... it's how you lived.

Semper Fidelis

• Like 3

People who've not been close to death much, talk a LOT of hooey about it. Be careful what you ask for, you might get it.

Funerals aren't for the dead. They are done, it is for the living. Morn the dead, pray for the living.

Edited by Jack Ryan
  • Like 4

Seems to me that in a free enterprise system you should get whatever funeral you want, and can afford.

I like the idea of direct burial, i.e., no casket. But family would never allow that.

Second choice is burial upside down so the world can kiss my........never mind!?

• Like 2

13 hours ago, railfancwb said:

Actually I think “natural burials” which is what you describe are allowed some places. Maybe California. No embalming or other chemicals for preservation. Only natural fiber shroud (wrapping) - cotton, wool, linen, etc. no casket or other container. Usually no marker or monument, but maybe a cemetery map showing your plot. 

They are in my county and i don't live in California..   And i think it's a wonderful option for those who thing this way.   Seriously.  They use a nice wool covering.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, ASH said:

when my mom died in 2017  funeral  her funeral was  1,800  dollars and  she wanted cremated ,  

Did that include the cremation? Here a BASIC service with cremation is 6-8k. My mother’s service/ burial in 2010 was 11k and she had her plot paid for previously. 

• Sad 1

Funerals are expensive, broken and exploitative. They have to change

The median cost of a funeral is $7,360, and most in the US can't afford it.

$7300 for a funeral? Good luck. My dads was over $10 twenty two years ago and was very basic. We shopped for the headstone. If possible don't buy anything from the funeral home. Even then, hang on to your checkbook.

Be aware that many pre paid plans will not be honored if you don't stand on their mothers grave. We ran in to that as well. Ours has a life insurance policy attached to the final services. It was purchased with the services, well in place of the services. We put a lot of research in the matter. We didn't want our kids to have the problems we had with my dad.

6 hours ago, Zonny said:

Did that include the cremation? Here a BASIC service with cremation is 6-8k. My mother’s service/ burial in 2010 was 11k and she had her plot paid for previously.  

yeah ,  it included cremation  and a basic urn .     they already had headstones put up years and years ago .  now my dads funeral  was more as he did not want to be cremated

he passed in 95  and back then cremation was not talked about much , but he got vault and cedar casket  , loved the smell of it .  his funeral was about 5,000 . 

they had service at church no funeral homes .  no flowers , they had donation wishes .   but , my whole family the good side and bad side have used the same funeral home 

for over 50 years .  im to be cremated and scattered at my favorite spot . same as wife .  my daughters an thier family also have plans already done .  we learned waiting to last 

second just puts that extra sorrow  on you