You re being anti social.

jmohme

I have always been pretty much a loner. From a young age, I would wander off into the woods with a bb gun, fishing pole, or both, and be gone all day while all the kids in the neighborhood would be gathered playing games. Later on when I got my first .22, I set the bb gun aside and would wander off with the Ruger and or a fishing pole. My parents even got an old church bell to summon me home since they could never find me at dinner time.

I remember many teachers and other adults telling me that my antisocial behaviors were unhealthy. I always just shrugged it off and continued on as I always had.

I was not a total isolationist, I had friends, but I was very selective about who they were and I never cared what people thought nor did I ever aspire to be the popular one, or succum to peer pressure, I just always did and still do my own thing. 

So, I was thinking just a little while ago. I wonder how many of those that lectured me on my anti social tendencies are now sitting in bed suffering the effects of their social interaction?  I would guess that they would also be going stir crazy, but I suppose they just have their faces stuck to their dumb phones doing Freakbook.

I am not trying to be critical of those that like to socialize, I just have always chosen not to, and it seems that it may be working in my favor now.

Any other crusty old hermits here on the bore site?

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I have few close friends, and almost all of my hobbies can be done alone... reading, shooting, and hiking. I don't like having to count on others to have a good time. I don't think of myself as anti-social, just independent.

So, I'm with you in sentiment.

• Like 7

im an ignorist .  and loner except for family and 5 friends and friends who work on farm ,  i have not left the house in a week except to check greenhouses,  right now maters are my friends

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, jmohme said:

I have always been pretty much a loner. From a young age, I would wander off into the woods with a bb gun, fishing pole, or both, and be gone all day while all the kids in the neighborhood would be gathered playing games. Later on when I got my first .22, I set the bb gun aside and would wander off with the Ruger and or a fishing pole. My parents even got an old church bell to summon me home since they could never find me at dinner time.

I remember many teachers and other adults telling me that my antisocial behaviors were unhealthy. I always just shrugged it off and continued on as I always had.

I was not a total isolationist, I had friends, but I was very selective about who they were and I never cared what people thought nor did I ever aspire to be the popular one, or succum to peer pressure, I just always did and still do my own thing. 

So, I was thinking just a little while ago. I wonder how many of those that lectured me on my anti social tendencies are now sitting in bed suffering the effects of their social interaction?  I would guess that they would also be going stir crazy, but I suppose they just have their faces stuck to their dumb phones doing Freakbook.

I am not trying to be critical of those that like to socialize, I just have always chosen not to, and it seems that it may be working in my favor now.

Independence is a wonderful thing if you have developed the ability to do things you like.  Many have not, and rely on others to supply their gratification.

Like you, I have not had to change my habits one damn bit with "social distancing".  I view it as more of a blessing than a hindrance.

• Like 6

I like the bell to summon you. When I was a kid my parents would blast the horn on the family station wagon. If we didn't show up, the next summons was the air horns on dad's truck. If we were too far away to respond to that, we'd get an ass chewing. But of course we always had an excuse. We thought it was a log truck, or some other handy excuse. We were off in the woods a lot.

• Like 4
  • Haha 4

4 minutes ago, Walt Longmire said:

I like the bell to summon you. When I was a kid my parents would blast the horn on the family station wagon. If we didn't show up, the next summons was the air horns on dad's truck. If we were too far away to respond to that, we'd get an ass chewing. But of course we always had an excuse. We thought it was a log truck, or some other handy excuse. We were off in the woods a lot.

In my home town the Catholic Church bells rang the hour.  We knew damn well what time we were supposed to be home for meals,  You could hear them all over town.  The city got rid of them arguing they were a distraction.

Now some cities are allowing the Muslim call to prayer, but not the church bells...….  Equality is a delicate issue.

• Like 3

I'm kind of a split personality. I can be very sociable, but have always been content to be by myself. I'm the oldest of three boys and was kind of a loner when I started school and the other kids picked on be for being "Different" until one day I lost my temper and flew into a rage and beat the crap out of some older kid who was tormenting me. Back in the 50's people didn't get too upset about schoolyard or neighborhood fights so I didn't get in any trouble and after word got around and after that that the other kids accepted me.  Later on I became more sociable and made some good friends in high school who I'm still in touch with today.

I also have a spit personality as far as modern technology. It's a love/hate relationship. some of it is good and some of it I really like but most of it is not at all to my liking. 

I liked it better when things were more mechanical and less electronic.  I had to be dragged kicking an screaming into the 21st century.  I  never wanted to get a computer and didn't have one until someone gave me one and showed me how to use it. And I didn't get a cell phone until all the phone booths went away and still hung onto my land line. But now I like my computer and I like the internet and I like mailing people but now email is becoming obsolete and it's all text these days and I refuse to get a "smart" phone or evewn text capability on my flip phone. I also don't like facebook or twitter or that whole "social media" thing.

But that brings up another point. Most of the people who are "Self Quarantined" probably never really did that much face to face socializing to begin with. It's all virtual digital interaction these days anyway and everyone walks around in their own electronic bubble.

Edited by Borg warner
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I hate the term loaner, but as a male, it's hard for me to develop close friends.  In my younger days, I had friends in school and hunting buddies, poker buddies, and then diving buddies.  I used to have weekly games of poker and it was a lot of fun, but everyone ended up getting married and drifting apart.  Most men go in and out of marriage pretty frequently, and of course, most new wives don't like their husbands hanging with single guys, and you can't blame them.  Then there are those who cheat on their wives.  Others who would cause a problem with their wife so they could move out for a few weeks and screw somebody else.  Hanging out with liberals is not even a consideration, and if someone doesn't hunt, fish, or shoot, we don't have anything in common.  Then there are pathological liars and those who pretend to be "playas".  

I'm not anti social.  I get along with people at work, and at the range I always seem to get into long friendly conversations with other shooters.  But those typically stay at work and the range.

More and more I see people I just wouldn't care to be friends with.  

Lonely vs solitude.  I am blessed that I don't get lonely.  I often wonder if the internet allows an outlet that is a substitute for close friends. 

Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company. - George Washington 

Edited by PPQer
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I have been social because it was a requirement for work.  In my non-work interactions I have very few I socialize with.  I find that I prefer my family before all others, primarily because I respect their opinions and abilities.  I don't do much beyond them, because it detracts from my doing what pleases me.  At this point in my life I don't need to please anyone else.

One SIL voiced the best complement I have had, when at a family outing with dinner and drinks, he said, "I really like your family!"  Because we are all secure in ourselves and recognize each others opinions.  He said he always had a great time when we get together.

The only glitch we have had in all our years, was when my wife tried to tell the extended family  who they should be friends with.  That was dicey and she did learn from it.  

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Walt Longmire said:

I have a lot of stories associated with that bell, but my favorite was from not long after my dad had built stand and mounted it.

It was a nice cool fall day and as usual, I was up early on a Saturday heading out into the woods to explore the natural world. This was several hundred acres of woods and marsh. 

I had been walking for some time when I heard the bell off in the distance. I was to find out later that my mother was calling me home for lunch. I almost immediately headed home and walked in the door not long after the sun had gone down. I had missed lunch and was late enough for supper that my mom had already washed the dishes.

After a severe ass chewing and cold dinner, I went to bed. I got up even earlier then next morning to head out in near darkness to continue the expedition. I got to the point were I had turned back the previous day and continued west for 15 or 20 minutes when I exited the woods and was in the next town! And then the bell rang! ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Being anti-social is very unhealthy and goes against nature.  Us human beings by nature are pack animals and HAVE to socialize or else we go nuts.  Hence why the world is so full of so many anti-social boomers who would rather bitch and moan about how miserable life is rather that going out and enjoying it. 

• Sad 1

8 hours ago, Maser said:

Being anti-social is very unhealthy and goes against nature.  Us human beings by nature are pack animals and HAVE to socialize or else we go nuts.  Hence why the world is so full of so many anti-social boomers who would rather bitch and moan about how miserable life is rather that going out and enjoying it. 

I enjoy life more in solitude than I do in a pack and with that in mind, if I ever did choose to bitch and moan, it wouldn't matter because nobody will be near enough to hear it!

I would be more receptive to social activities, if less people were bat **** crazy and/or stupid.  (Would this line qualify as me bitching and moaning?) ?

• Like 1

19 hours ago, jmohme said:

You're not the only one.

I do have a handful of friends but that's about it.  I can put up a front and get along with most everybody, but if I were to have my druthers, I'd rather be by myself.  

• Like 3

17 hours ago, Maser said:

The key to a good life by my definition, is finding what it takes to make you happy with yourself, and doing more of it.

I like to learn.  The more I can learn the more I can do, the more I can do the more someone else might benefit from what I do.

Do I need other people to be happy. other than my own family - No.

• Like 2

Growing up, I was alone by geography.  I grew up in the middle of nowhere backwoods.  My youth was spent with a fishing rod, rifle, on foot, on a horse, 3-wheeler, tractor, combine, etc.  In college I was  quite gregarious and described as the social director of campus.  Now, we have a few couples with whom we do things, and I have a few good buds with whom I do things, but they are people I have chosen due to their attributes and character I enjoy and admire.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Maser said:

We we we and us ... all the way home. Why is it the weak ones always like to act like they speak for every one else. These are exactly the kind who motivate me most to stick to dogs.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, DWARREN123 said:

I just don't like most people, especially in groups of 3 or more.

I do like my own thoughts and myself.

Three people together is always the first sign of a freaking committee. Any time you see three people, two will be arguing over who is going to tell the ONE working what to do.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1