Wolf Spiders

Maser

I wouldn't exactly call myself a huge spider nut, but I have always liked them.  I much rather have them in my house than house centipedes like folks in the East have.  The 2 main spiders we get at the Maser homestead is black widows and wolf spiders.  The widows are only in the garage and they're only seen once in a blue moon.  The wolf spiders on the other hand love to make their presence known and for me it's a real treat due to how awesome they look up close with my phone.

769a91bc-26c4-4760-a864-4c6edb2dc55c.jpg

Edited by Maser
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

We do NOT like Spiders.  I know, I know...they really are beneficial creatures. 

Down here in Floriduh, I'm particularly watchful for the Brown Recluse.   Wear Gloves whenever I'm outside doing Anything, especially diggin under plants and stuff.  That thing scares the hell out of me!! 

A friend was mowing his grass, in shorts, and got nailed by one.  Took him a few days to realize something was VERY wrong.  Lucky he didn't loose his leg.  Got nice Big Hole in his leg and a couple months of recovery time.  No Charlotte's web fan here!! 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

I was in New Mexico 20 years ago for Roswell2K.

For whatever reason, tarantulas were out on all the roads IN FORCE! Migrating, or something. Hundreds and hundreds of them!

It was weird to run over them. Locals told us NOT to get out of the car unless we had a flat. We didn't!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BamaBud said:

I was in New Mexico 20 years ago for Roswell2K.

For whatever reason, tarantulas were out on all the roads IN FORCE! Migrating, or something. Hundreds and hundreds of them!

It was weird to run over them. Locals told us NOT to get out of the car unless we had a flat. We didn't!

they were Biting through tires???

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Maser said:

Seems we have some spider haters here.  Are you trying to tell me that you will kill something this cute if you saw it in your house?

adorable-animation-lucas-the-spider-josh

Not a "spider hater", but it IS MY HOUSE!!!  And, yes...just like I'd "eliminate" a roach, or as we so nicely call them down here..."Palmetto bugs". 

OFF With their Heads!!!!

Maybe four or five times in my life, I've had a huntsman spider up in the corner of the wall lookin' at me. Spookyass things are almost 6" across, lightning fast, and they keep their babies on their backs. TERRIBLE COMBINATION. Fortunately, it's been a few years. I hope it'll be a few more.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Swampfox762 said:

Not a "spider hater", but it IS MY HOUSE!!!  And, yes...just like I'd "eliminate" a roach, or as we so nicely call them down here..."Palmetto bugs". 

OFF With their Heads!!!!

Okay them palmetto bugs are understandable because of how huge they are.  But if you wanna talk about obnoxious bugs in the South, chiggers are the champs.  

• Like 1

On 2/12/2020 at 1:31 PM, Maser said:

I wouldn't exactly call myself a huge spider nut, but I have always liked them.  I much rather have them in my house than house centipedes like folks in the East have.  The 2 main spiders we get at the Maser homestead is black widows and wolf spiders.  The widows are only in the garage and they're only seen once in a blue moon.  The wolf spiders on the other hand love to make their presence known and for me it's a real treat due to how awesome they look up close with my phone.

769a91bc-26c4-4760-a864-4c6edb2dc55c.jpg

Yep, same here.  I've even got my Wife to like spiders.  She gives them names.  I once had a blue widow come down on her string in the kitchen.  It was almost surreal.  If you've never seen one, you need to look up a video of one on YouTube.  I like spiders as much as I like snakes, they take care of the real pests.

13 hours ago, Maser said:

Seems we have some spider haters here.  Are you trying to tell me that you will kill something this cute if you saw it in your house?

adorable-animation-lucas-the-spider-josh

I calls those visor spiders.  They're always on top of the visor in the cars.  They are probably my favorite.  Did you know they actually catch their prey?  And I mean w/o the use of a web.

• Like 1

dont love spiders  but  they do a service ,  now brown recluse   oh hell no .    few years ago  dude working for charter  cable was putting in our internet , had to run part of cable under house  , oh  and he was afraid of spiders  ,  and he told me that.  lol  i was like you need new job .  anyway  you could hear him under the floor  ,  yelling and making sounds the whole time .  he was like 20 years old   ,  i tried to record the moments on my phone  but didnt ,  we were in house trying not to bust out laughing .   

i met him coming out at the hatch    and he said BROWN RECLUSE !!!   said he saw a few , so  the hell with that ,  time for pest people  to come .  girl i know lost 3 toes on her right foot 

when bit by recluse .  didnt go to doctor  for 2 days .   i dunno whats wrong with people ,  you always see a story then it says they went for medical attention 2 days or more later

i get bit  then you know somethings wrong my ass is at rapid care

ive been hit by black widows  3 times .  first one  i had to stay a night because of heart irregular something 

next 2 times  i threw up  and was weak   with a killerr headache

3rd time i reckon i was getting some immunity   all i got was vertigo  for a day 

• Like 1

Mom and Dad had a bazillion-billion recluses in the attic in Texas.  They didn't really care.  I went up there.  The AC guy would throw bug-bombs before he went up there.

Mom got bit once.  In bed, she guessed.  It was never a serious medical thing,  but it took a full year for the scabby-spot to fully go away.

• Sad 1

On 2/13/2020 at 6:01 PM, Maser said:

Okay them palmetto bugs are understandable because of how huge they are.  But if you wanna talk about obnoxious bugs in the South, chiggers are the champs.  

you done done it !~!!!  had to mention chiggers  didnt you ????    come to nc  and lay down in some pine straw  you will asking someone  to run over your body with a cheese grader scratcher  

We once got chiggered so bad,  it was the worst thing I've ever done.

I got up in the middle of the night,  got in the shower,  and dumped a gallon of bleach on my head. 

It didn't work.

We finally went to the doctor,  got some cream (poison) that you covered yourself with, 100%, up to the neck,   for only an hour, and washed it off in the shower.  It pretty much worked.

(And then we went camping again, the same summer,  right next to the same lake,  and got them again.)

• Sad 1

16 hours ago, Huaco Kid said:

Jordan Lake, Raleigh.

thats in my neck of the woods, jordan lake is a tick and chigger magnet .  i dunno how many spots of  finger polish i had on me .  but it took some stuff called  CHIGGA-BOO  lol  to get rid of them .

then as a teenager i got scabies  that was aweful .  we had to do the same thing , put the lotion over your whole body  and leave on 24 hours . i slept on a plastic sheet . man it was terrible but the next day gone .