Best Christmas presents you got.....

ASH

Before the age of 10?  Lets say best 2.       For me red Ryder and a fox go cart. I still got my red Ryder which I handed down to my daughter then will be handed down to Piper.     My go cart got stolen when I was 14. Still pisses me off

A Cisco Kid ensemble when I was 2 years old. The only reason I remember it is that my parents thought I looked so cute that they took me to a  studio to have a pic taken. Still have that photo, somewhere.

As far as I can remember, I am socially awkward when receiving gifts. Love to give them, but not particularly socially-gracious receiving them. 

• Like 1

When I was five or so my old man started telling me and my cousin that he was going to get us these giant birds (called aardvarks) for Christmas. We'd be able to raise them from chicks and eventually fly around on their backs and stuff. We got the usual pretty good stuff that year but all Christmas day we kept looking around for eggs.

My old man was a card.

• Haha 1

About four years ago my wife left for work in the dark hours of the morn.   We had spent the night at my parents house...and were waiting her return to eat, celebrate and open gifts.   The wife received was told there were not enough patients on her floor and came back.  I danced around her like a small child i was so happy to see her.

That was a fine gift.

I'm a simple man.  She gets me a new flannel shirt, a pound of coffee, and some gummie bears every year. 

The gummies are because my mom used to buy me some every year when i was a kid.

• Thanks 4

11 minutes ago, Historian said:

About four years ago my wife left for work in the dark hours of the morn.   We had spent the night at my parents house...and were waiting her return to eat, celebrate and open gifts.   The wife received was told there were not enough patients on her floor and came back.  I danced around her like a small child i was so happy to see her.

That was a fine gift.

I'm a simple man.  She gets me a new flannel shirt, a pound of coffee, and some gummie bears every year. 

The gummies are because my mom used to buy me some every year when i was a kid.

Gummies are good!  Coffee is good!  She done good!

• Like 1

I know I sound like a generic parent, but honestly my best Christmas presents are watching my kids on Christmas morning enjoying themselves.  I got so many hours of enjoyment watching them outside or at the park with their fighting drones. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Christmas morning 1967. I was 2 1/2 years old and the only gift I vividly remember that year was a die cast model of a 1967 Corvette, yellow with a blue stripe down each side and the number 3 in a circle on each door. I'd give a lot to have that car again.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, gwalchmai said:

Rabbit suit.

I'm not even going to ask.

Must be a Georgia thing.

For me, when I was about seven years old, my Erector set, the one including the little DC motor.

Edited by tous
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, janice6 said:

For Christmas, my mother gave me a Philmore Crystal Radio with earphones when I was very young.

I still have the parts to make one.  

We made a crystal AM radio in Cub Scouts.

We wound our own tuners and you had to use headphones to hear anything, but I loved that block of wood and copper wire contraption.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Maser said:

I know I sound like a generic parent, but honestly my best Christmas presents are watching my kids on Christmas morning enjoying themselves.  I got so many hours of enjoyment watching them outside or at the park with their fighting drones. 

Yeah my kids was the best. And now it's all about my grandkid.  What was yours as a kid ?   I think my youngest daughter is is pregnant and waiting to tell us at Christmas atleast I hope so

Edited by ASH
  • Like 2

Mom Bought me Black Sabbath records when i was about 6.

Paranoid.

Master of Reality.

Vol. 4.

i was obsessed with Black Sabbath since i heard the Harmonica in 'The Wizard' a couple years earlier and hunted down the Album and stole it from my Cousin,i still have the Album.

the look on the Disco Permed guy at 'Strawberries Records' in Wellington Circle is something i will never forget when i carried those Albums up an Mom,smiled and paid for them.

we did`nt have a lot of Money and sometimes our Christmases were pretty lean,but man did those Albums earn some miles.

then for my next Birthday she got me.

Sabbath,Bloody Sabbath.

Sabotage.

Technical Ecstasy.

i remember really wanting to see Sabbath live the next year for Christmas but it was too expensive and too far to go for it,that was the Last Year Ozzy was in the Band.

i had to wait 20+ Years to see them live.

I miss my Mom.

• Like 1

If it was a Christmas present (I can't remember), my Ruger 10/22.  Because I still have it and am now teaching my son to shoot with it.

That's the cool thing about firearms.  I have a double-barrel that, when my son gets it, will be in the family for three generations.  And a Remington 11 that is working on 4.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, tous said:

We made a crystal AM radio in Cub Scouts.

We wound our own tuners and you had to use headphones to hear anything, but I loved that block of wood and copper wire contraption.

In the 70's a Cub Scout Leader was simply out of ideas for projects for her Scouts and I offered to take them for a few meetings.

I had them cut the blocks of wood from boards.  Each kid used the radial arm saw (with supervision) to cut his block.

Then they drove screws in select places in the wood block.  Then the wound the coils and mounted the components on the block.

I bought everything for a radio for each of them.  I found Crystal earphones cheap also.  They marveled at the fact that they could hear a radio station without batteries!  Of course we had one of the few "clear channel" AM radio stations just a mile or two away, but it only mattered that they didn't need batteries.

The Scout leader said the kids were ecstatic that they could use power tools, build something themselves and it worked!  You can still buy those components if you look hard enough on the Internet.

I said that I thought that was the purpose of Scouting. 

I don't know if I could take that on a regular basis.  But we all had fun. 

Edited by janice6
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, janice6 said:

In the 70's a Cub Scout Leader was simply out of ideas for projects for her Scouts and I offered to take them for a few meetings.

I had them cut the blocks of wood from boards.  Each kid used the radial arm saw (with supervision) to cut his block.

Then they drove screws in select places in the wood block.  Then the wound the coils and mounted the components on the block.

I bought everything for a radio for each of them.  I found Crystal earphones cheap also.  They marveled at the fact that they could hear a radio station without batteries!  Of course we had one of the few "clear channel" AM radio stations just a mile or two away, but it only mattered that they didn't need batteries.

The Scout leader said the kids were ecstatic that they could use power tools, build something themselves and it worked!  You can still buy those components if you look hard enough on the Internet.

I said that I thought that was the purpose of Scouting. 

I don't know if I could take that on a regular basis.  But we all had fun. 

I'm a cub scout den leader this year.  That sounds like a GREAT project.  

I've decided that we are going to get the requirements and the required elective done, but after that I may go "off book" and do things I think they will enjoy.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, SC Tiger said:

I'm a cub scout den leader this year.  That sounds like a GREAT project.  

I've decided that we are going to get the requirements and the required elective done, but after that I may go "off book" and do things I think they will enjoy.

If you build a simple Crystal Radio remember that you need very high impedance earphone/s.   I found an eBay source that sold very cheap Crystal earpieces.  They were like a single hearing aide earpiece but very high impedance  and worked well.  Plan on giving them each a good length of wire for an antenna, any kind of wire.

• Like 2